Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

D'Backs Want Young Pitching From O's For Kubel

Re: D'Backs Want Young Pitching From O's For Kubel

PostPost #31 by thezeroes » January 24th, 2013, 1:25 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:From what I read today, it looks like Upton is headed to Atlanta and AZ gets a nice haul. Hopefully that ends the ridiculous Kubel talk and JJ going to Detroit, per Jim Duquette 8-)

Although I seldom agree with you, points for posting an obvious conclusion to an attempt by the media of dragging Dan into something he/we did not want/need.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » January 24th, 2013, 1:43 pm

ofahn wrote:
I raised that question before. What did they know that we didn't?

If you remember last year he got benched for 2 things, not producing and his attitude.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #33 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
If you remember last year he got benched for 2 things, not producing and his attitude.

Yeah, but I think it went much deeper than that. You don't give up on that kind of young controllable talent unless you see a train wreck coming. The Seattle offer was a colossal overpay, but Atlanta really didn't give much in return. No GM would make that kind of trade unless ownership was on board with it, so it must have been something serious.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by Seafordeagles » January 24th, 2013, 2:22 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yeah, but I think it went much deeper than that. You don't give up on that kind of young controllable talent unless you see a train wreck coming. The Seattle offer was a colossal overpay, but Atlanta really didn't give much in return. No GM would make that kind of trade unless ownership was on board with it, so it must have been something serious.

Now they got both brothers. I kind of feel sorry for the manager because they both can have horrible attitudes.

Off topic, it looks like Arizona wants to make this deal. Ahmed and another prospect to Detroit for Porcello. This from MLB Trade Rumors:

The Diamondbacks will now try to package shortstop Nick Ahmed and a pitching prospect in a trade for the Tigers' Rick Porcello, a National League official told Bob Nightengale of USA Today (on Twitter). Arizona acquired Ahmed in this morning's Justin Upton trade with the Braves.

Arizona has been known to have interest in the Tigers right-hander but prior to this trade it was reported that they were unlikely to land him. Detroit was seeking a shortstop in a deal for Porcello, so Ahmed could be the piece that facilitates a deal. The 24-year-old posted a 4.59 ERA with 5.5 K/9, 2.2 BB/9 and a 53.2% ground ball rate in 176 1/3 innings this past season.

The 22-year-old Ahmed played at Class A this past season and posted a .269/.337/.391 batting line in 571 plate appearances. Baseball America named him the best defensive infielder in Atlanta's minor league system. Ahmed was the Braves' second-round pick in the 2011 draft.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #35 by birdwatcher55 » January 24th, 2013, 2:44 pm

thezeroes wrote:
Although I seldom agree with you, points for posting an obvious conclusion to an attempt by the media of dragging Dan into something he/we did not want/need.

Thanks for the points. Dan is far too crafty to get drawn into a trade controversy. I'm of the opinion that Dan is like a stealth - he will hit you with a trade when you least expect it 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #36 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:it looks like Arizona wants to make this deal. Ahmed and another prospect to Detroit for Porcello.

I would be REALLY surprised if Detroit is willing to make that trade. They're worried about NOW and Ahmed would be a member of the 2015 Tigers, not this year's team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by Seafordeagles » January 24th, 2013, 4:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
I would be REALLY surprised if Detroit is willing to make that trade. They're worried about NOW and Ahmed would be a member of the 2015 Tigers, not this year's team.

Well you know how some of these "hack writers" are always coming up with something to pass the time. Heyman has the Orioles interested in Michael Bourn now. Here's the link:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/m ... rsday.html

Bourn is an “outside possibility” for the Orioles, Heyman reports. The Cubs are thought to like Bourn “very much” and have some level of interest.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #38 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Bourn is an “outside possibility” for the Orioles, Heyman reports.

Yeah, so is the Easter Bunny, but I'm expecting to see any orange and black eggs around home plate on Opening Day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles