Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

D'Backs Want Young Pitching From O's For Kubel

Re: D'Backs Want Young Pitching From O's For Kubel

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

osforlife wrote:

I don't really see how this has anything to do with Reimold. If management was worried about Reimold, then they would be going after a right-handed bat. I doubt he will repeat his 30 homeruns. He ran in to a power streak July and that supplied about a third of his bombs. He has been close to 30 homeruns only one other time in his career. He provides no defensive value, no speed, and little production against LHP. AKA a more expensive, less versatile Wilson Betemit.

I never overvalue rbis. His rbi total would have led the Orioles in 2012. If the asking price is dropping than it behooves the Orioles to check out what it would take to get him.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 7:00 pm

Another thought I have is try to move Betemit in the deal and maybe pick up half his salary, or a cash transaction to another American League team. He's being paid 1.75 million for 2013. If I weigh the options between Betemit and Kubel to me it's a no brainer who I would choose.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #18 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2013, 7:45 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Another thought I have is try to move Betemit in the deal and maybe pick up half his salary, or a cash transaction to another American League team. He's being paid 1.75 million for 2013. If I weigh the options between Betemit and Kubel to me it's a no brainer who I would choose.

I'd pick Betemit.
Betemit can back-up corner infield and corner outfield.
They hit at virtually the same rates against RHP.
Betemit is cheaper.
Betemit is already under team control.
There is a good chance Betemit will be with us in 2014.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 7:49 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd pick Betemit.
Betemit can back-up corner infield and corner outfield.
They hit at virtually the same rates against RHP.
Betemit is cheaper.
Betemit is already under team control.
There is a good chance Betemit will be with us in 2014.

I guess that's the beauty of these forums, we're all entitled to our own opinions. Even though I really disagree with your choice.:)
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #20 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 8:14 pm

IMO we need to evaluate whether Kubel would be a better DH poption than Betemit because I know that I wouldn't be comfortable with his glove in the field.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by OriolesRedskins28 » January 23rd, 2013, 11:38 pm

Kubel is an awful defender too. He's limited to corner OF and according to fangraphs he's a bad outfielder.

ofahn wrote:IMO we need to evaluate whether Kubel would be a better DH poption than Betemit because I know that I wouldn't be comfortable with his glove in the field.

In that evaluation remember to consider that Betemit carries a lower salary and won't cost anything. I think even without taking that into consideration I would take Betemit as the DH vs. RHP over Kubel. But I think we can all agree on one thing: whichever one is on the team come the start of the season, keep their glove on the bench!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #22 by Old Sneakers » January 24th, 2013, 4:15 am

Pitching is awfully valuable. When we read "Young Pitcher" I hope we mean reliever in Frederick. If it's a starter near or certain at some point to be in the rotation as far as I am concerned the D'backs can take their player and shop him elsewhere!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #23 by mikezpen » January 24th, 2013, 9:12 am

Kubel is a big hitting upgrade over McLouth (I cannot see the big attachment to this guy) and Reimold is undependable despite his potential. But for one year of Kubel there isn't much I'd give up.One rumor I saw had the O's giving up Jim Johnson, which is so ridiculous, it's laughable.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #24 by Seafordeagles » January 24th, 2013, 10:08 am

We don't have to worry about Kubel. Justin Upton just got traded to Atlanta.

"The Braves and Diamondbacks have agreed to a trade that will send Justin Upton to Atlanta, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). The deal is pending physicals for the players involved."

Here's more info on the trade:

"9:12am: The Braves get Upton and third baseman Chris Johnson for third baseman Martin Prado, right-hander Randall Delgado, shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed and right-handed pitching prospect Zeke Spruill"

Looks like Arizona really wanted to dump Upton in the worst kind of way.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by osforlife » January 24th, 2013, 10:43 am

mikezpen wrote:Kubel is a big hitting upgrade over McLouth (I cannot see the big attachment to this guy) and Reimold is undependable despite his potential. But for one year of Kubel there isn't much I'd give up.One rumor I saw had the O's giving up Jim Johnson, which is so ridiculous, it's laughable.

Although Jason Kubel is a better hitter against RHP, I have no doubt McLouth is more valuable than Kubel considering the only thing they would be playing is left field vs. RHP. McLouth provides defensive and speed value that Kubel doesn't. Anyway, if we traded for Kubel, he'd replace Betemit, not McLouth.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by osforlife » January 24th, 2013, 10:48 am

I would have loved Justin Upton to come here. He is a great player. A trade for him would basically makes Hoes expendable, McLouth the 4th outfielder, Reimold the DH against LHP, and Valencia in the minors.
Kevin Towers is an odd GM IMO.
I'am glad we are out of the running for Jason Kubel.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:11 pm

mikezpen wrote:Kubel is a big hitting upgrade over McLouth

I STRONGLY disagree. Better bat, no question, but his glove is a disaster zone. I always put defense first and, IMO, McLouth's bat is good enough in a platoon split to make him more valuable in LF than Kubel. Kubel IS a DH possibility.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Looks like Arizona really wanted to dump Upton in the worst kind of way.

I raised that question before. What did they know that we didn't?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:14 pm

osforlife wrote:I would have loved Justin Upton to come here.

I would have considered a trade for him IF we could have given the same value that Atlanta did. It's a HUGE drop in value from what Seattle had offered.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » January 24th, 2013, 1:13 pm

From what I read today, it looks like Upton is headed to Atlanta and AZ gets a nice haul. Hopefully that ends the ridiculous Kubel talk and JJ going to Detroit, per Jim Duquette 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles