Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

Re: How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 6:17 pm

osforlife wrote:Even in his below average 2011 season, he still hit for a .822 OPS against LHP. Last year he was useless, but it is hard to tell or not if somebody can be productive with only 40 games played. I think 5th is actually a better spot for him. He smashes LHP, can't hit RHP. It makes sense for him to be on the roster. Betemit hits RHP. Valencia hits LHP. They both play corner infield positions.

Well one of them plays a corner position.:)

Just curious, what did he do in the minors last year?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2013, 6:36 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Well one of them plays a corner position.:)

Just curious, what did he do in the minors last year?

.259/.300/.404/.703. The man isn't an everyday player. Worst case scenario is he can't even hit LHP and he is sent to the minors.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #18 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 7:06 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Just curious, what did he do in the minors last year?

It wasn't pretty. This guy needs to hit the Reset Button. We did it for McLouth. If he wants it bad enough he'll listen to what he's told and we'll benefit from it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by dan72 » January 23rd, 2013, 7:23 pm

Valencia will never bat 3rd. Valencia and Pearce are both border line major leaguers. What seperates Mclouth from the other two players is that he has had real success at the MLB level.
Valencia's ops is nice, but its in a small sample. Additionally if Valencia was so great than why did the Yanks, redsox, tampa and toronto pass on him?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #20 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 7:30 pm

dan72 wrote:Valencia will never bat 3rd. Valencia and Pearce are both border line major leaguers. What seperates Mclouth from the other two players is that he has had real success at the MLB level.
Valencia's ops is nice, but its in a small sample. Additionally if Valencia was so great than why did the Yanks, redsox, tampa and toronto pass on him?

We actually purchased Valencia in a cash deal not waivers.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by dan72 » January 23rd, 2013, 7:37 pm

Yes I know that, any other team could have purchased him also.....so why didn't they. Probably because he is very one dimensional, and a border line big leaguer. Under no circumstances should he bat 3rd unless its in Norfolk.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #22 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2013, 7:40 pm

dan72 wrote:Yes I know that, any other team could have purchased him also.....so why didn't they. Probably because he is very one dimensional, and a border line big leaguer. Under no circumstances should he bat 3rd unless its in Norfolk.

I'am thinking about switching Matt Wieters and Danny Valencia. Valencia hits at an exceptional rate against LHP
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by dan72 » January 23rd, 2013, 7:47 pm

I think its very telling that 3 teams in one season gave up on him.....I hope he fulfills all of our expectations......
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #24 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 7:51 pm

dan72 wrote:Under no circumstances should he bat 3rd unless its in Norfolk.

I agree with this, although I'm hoping he figures out what happened after the 2010 season.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by osforlife » January 24th, 2013, 10:35 am

dan72 wrote:I think its very telling that 3 teams in one season gave up on him.....I hope he fulfills all of our expectations......

A .317 lifetime average against LHP is also telling don't you think? I would like to switch Wieters and Valencia but there is no edit button on that post.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:17 pm

osforlife wrote:I would like to switch Wieters and Valencia but there is no edit button on that post.

DONE! Your friendly, neighborhood moderator to the rescue.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by dan72 » January 24th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Just finished looking at the 40 man roster and depth charts, I don't even see Valencia making the team. Unless we have injuries that force him into the line up. I think he is a nice player to have in reserve (AAA) but I don't see him making a huge contribution.
I think the real question we should be asking is how does this Orioles lineup stack up against, NY, BOS, TB, Jays........
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:44 pm

dan72 wrote:I think the real question we should be asking is how does this Orioles lineup stack up against, NY, BOS, TB

It didn't stack up well against those three last year and we won 93 games and went to the playoffs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by birdwatcher55 » January 24th, 2013, 2:49 pm

My little prediction: Ryan Flaherty will be our starting 2B by June 1 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #30 by osforlife » January 25th, 2013, 4:55 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:My little prediction: Ryan Flaherty will be our starting 2B by June 1 8-)

I think that is completely reasonable considering there is a good chance we'll shuffle through at least three second basemen this year. We will never get a solid second basemen until Roberts if off the roster. I hope Flaherty isn't restricted to one position in his future though. I see his versatility as a very valuable commodity. My little prediction: He will be the Orioles Ben Zobrist in a couple years. Also, I could see Freddy Sanchez being an intriguing option for our second base job come mid-season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles