Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 22nd, 2013, 3:11 pm

Against RHP

1. Nate McLouth LF
2. Nick Markakis RF
3. Wilson Betemit DH
4. Adam Jones CF
5. Manny Machado 3B
6. Chris Davis 1B
7. Matt Wieters C
8. JJ Hardy SS
9. Brian Roberts 2B

Against LHP

1. Nolan Reimold LF
2. Nick Markakis RF
3. Matt Wieters C
4. Adam Jones CF
5. Danny Valencia DH
6. Chris Davis 1B
7. Manny Machado 3B
8. JJ Hardy SS
9. Brian Roberts 2B

Agree?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Re: How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 22nd, 2013, 5:22 pm

osforlife wrote:Against RHP

1. Nate McLouth LF
2. Nick Markakis RF
3. Wilson Betemit DH
4. Adam Jones CF
5. Manny Machado 3B
6. Chris Davis 1B
7. Matt Wieters C
8. JJ Hardy SS
9. Brian Roberts 2B

Against LHP

1. Nolan Reimold LF
2. Nick Markakis RF
3. Danny Valencia DH
4. Adam Jones CF
5. Matt Wieters C
6. Chris Davis 1B
7. Manny Machado 3B
8. JJ Hardy SS
9. Brian Roberts 2B

Agree?

I could Roberts being given the two hole until he proves he can't handle it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » January 22nd, 2013, 5:46 pm

I seriously don't think you will ever see a Orioles lineup with Valencia batting third. I look for Adam and Chris Davis to man the 3 and 4 holes.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 22nd, 2013, 6:42 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I seriously don't think you will ever see a Orioles lineup with Valencia batting third. I look for Adam and Chris Davis to man the 3 and 4 holes.

I'd put a .831 OPS in the 3 hole, you wouldn't? Matt Wieters kills LHP. I'd bat him third and move Valencia down to 5th.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » January 22nd, 2013, 7:16 pm

Are you talking about Valencia? If you are, then no, I would never bat him 3rd.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 22nd, 2013, 9:14 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Are you talking about Valencia? If you are, then no, I would never bat him 3rd.

Yes. Danny Valencia has an .831 OPS against LHP. Would you put an .831 OPS in the three hole? I sure would. Another viable option would be to put Matt Wieters third as he absolutely smashes LHP.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » January 22nd, 2013, 10:14 pm

osforlife wrote:Yes. Danny Valencia has an .831 OPS against LHP. Would you put an .831 OPS in the three hole? I sure would. Another viable option would be to put Matt Wieters third as he absolutely smashes LHP.

No I personally would not put him batting third. I "was" a big fan of him but for some unknown reason he has dropped off drastically from his rookie season. Last year was a complete waste having him on anyone's major league roster.

The Orioles got him in a cash deal. That means that the Red Sox had no use for him. Trust me I am pulling for him to be a contributor to the Orioles cause. With that being said if he tanks like he did last year he'll be spending a lot of time in Norfolk. Right now he is certainly not a lock to even start the season with the big league club. You also have Trayvon Robinson who is a switch hitter with I believe no minor league options. I think Valencia still has an option. There's also Conor Jackson and Steve Pearce both right handed hitters who will be given the opportunity to make the big league roster.

I've never been a cyberstat guy and probably never will be. I don't know if that .831 ops is for his career against lefties or not. What was his ops last year, and the year before that? I know it was probably pretty decent in 2010.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 3:18 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
No I personally would not put him batting third. I "was" a big fan of him but for some unknown reason he has dropped off drastically from his rookie season. Last year was a complete waste having him on anyone's major league roster.

The Orioles got him in a cash deal. That means that the Red Sox had no use for him. Trust me I am pulling for him to be a contributor to the Orioles cause. With that being said if he tanks like he did last year he'll be spending a lot of time in Norfolk. Right now he is certainly not a lock to even start the season with the big league club. You also have Trayvon Robinson who is a switch hitter with I believe no minor league options. I think Valencia still has an option. There's also Conor Jackson and Steve Pearce both right handed hitters who will be given the opportunity to make the big league roster.

I've never been a cyberstat guy and probably never will be. I don't know if that .831 ops is for his career against lefties or not. What was his ops last year, and the year before that? I know it was probably pretty decent in 2010.

You make a very valid point about Valencia, but I could see him being another McLouth type reclamation projest. Clearly, he has some talent, but he hasn't converted it into production the last two years. IMO there's a pony in that pile of poop.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
You make a very valid point about Valencia, but I could see him being another McLouth type reclamation projest. Clearly, he has some talent, but he hasn't converted it into production the last two years. IMO there's a pony in that pile of poop.

I agree about Valencia and hopefully he can get on track. I think he's got one more option to get things worked out if he doesn't impress in spring training. Then again he could be another Super Joe Charboneau, time will tell.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » January 23rd, 2013, 3:36 pm

Roberts?? ugh! Where is my Ryan Flaherty???? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 4:16 pm

Seafordeagles wrote: he could be another Super Joe Charboneau

GREAT analogy! Anyone that knows who Super Joe is deserves POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2013, 4:25 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Roberts?? ugh! Where is my Ryan Flaherty???? 8-)

You know everyone loves an underdog and Flaherty was a underdog last year, but his numbers were not very good. I'm a fan but I think he needs a full season at Triple A with about 500 at bats to see what he can do. I know his role was very limited with 153 at bats and I realize he had a few key hits last year. I just don't see him making the roster if Roberts is healthy and Casilla on the roster.

I hope he tears it up in spring training and forces his way on the team and proves me wrong.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 5:04 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I just don't see him making the roster if Roberts is healthy and Casilla on the roster.

I hope he tears it up in spring training and forces his way on the team and proves me wrong.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2013, 5:49 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

Even in his below average 2011 season, he still hit for a .822 OPS against LHP. Last year he was useless, but it is hard to tell or not if somebody can be productive with only 40 games played. I think 5th is actually a better spot for him. He smashes LHP, can't hit RHP. It makes sense for him to be on the roster. Betemit hits RHP. Valencia hits LHP. They both play corner infield positions.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 5:55 pm

osforlife wrote: It makes sense for him to be on the roster. Betemit hits RHP. Valencia hits LHP. They both play corner infield positions.

Agreed. I would like to see Valencia play his way onto the roster.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles