Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

Re: How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

PostPost #61 by ofahn » January 18th, 2013, 1:36 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Arrieta is what he is: lots of potential that will never be realized.

I believe that assessment is premature so I disagree with it.

birdwatcher55 wrote:If we didn't spend money this offseason, we're not likely to do it next year or in the future.

I disagree because past spending decisions say otherwise.

birdwatcher55 wrote:As Duquette pointed out recently: our best players will be coming through our farm system.

As it should be.

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would not bank Roberts for much at this point. 8-)

I'm afraid that might be true.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #62 by Rising O's » January 19th, 2013, 11:54 am

You can take pitches but if you can't hit...not sure Roberts can hit any more. Not sure he can play the field.

All the areas of need we had going into the off-season still remain. How can anyone feel good about that?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #63 by ofahn » January 19th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Rising O's wrote:All the areas of need we had going into the off-season still remain. How can anyone feel good about that?

I disagree with that.

We were NEVER going to make an big investment in 2B while Roberts contract was still on the books. I hoped we might come up with a solid prospect there for 2014, but the market was limited.

The team wants to see if Davis can be an above average defender at 1B so it would have taken a special player for them to make a big trade or signing. I thought that LaRoche would have been a good choice but the team wasn't wiling to go a third year and they didn't want to give up their draft pick.

I didn't see a good value available for LF on the market. Why do something stupid like the Angels did? The platoon we have end up with will probably hit at around an .800 OPS and play above average defense. Really, how would we have improved on that?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #64 by LA Detective » January 20th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Keeping key players healthy, how much or how many of our SPs take a step to being solid 180ip /sub 3.50 era types and CDavis IMO are our biggest keys for 2013.

If CDavis proves defensively he is the guy we want there then it makes it much easier to get the bat we want in the middle of the order if we dont already have one. Finding a DH type is alot easeir than finding a hittler that can also field. The range of players for that role is greater. Starting with Reimold.

I 100% agreee that there is no way we get a solid 2b until BR is off the payroll. I think DD/Buck did the best they could by getting better there than last year. They picked up a better defensive guy who can run the bases and I think we all believe MF can play there after some minors time.

It wouldn't be a shock though for the Os to make a trade for a 2b at the deadline if BR is out/done and MF hasn't stepped up.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #65 by Rising O's » January 22nd, 2013, 12:04 pm

The best they could, would have been done by releasing Roberts. Instead we're stuck in this situation where he hangs around using a roster space while in a perpetual state of uncertainty. He should have been released and signed to a minor league deal where there would be no pressure for him or the organization. It was the right thing to do but baseball seems to run on some old code where 36 year olds with broken down bodies need to be protected.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #66 by thezeroes » January 22nd, 2013, 12:34 pm

Rising O's wrote:The best they could, would have been done by releasing Roberts. Instead we're stuck in this situation where he hangs around using a roster space while in a perpetual state of uncertainty. He should have been released and signed to a minor league deal where there would be no pressure for him or the organization. It was the right thing to do but baseball seems to run on some old code where 36 year olds with broken down bodies need to be protected.

I do not believe that throwing away $10 million of US Currency and then spending more on a resigning of that same player would have been a very astute endeavor.
I also do not see any of the players that were claimed off waivers that will/would have any more of an impact on the 2013 Orioles than a healthy Brian Roberts.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #67 by birdwatcher55 » January 22nd, 2013, 12:35 pm

Rising O's wrote:The best they could, would have been done by releasing Roberts. Instead we're stuck in this situation where he hangs around using a roster space while in a perpetual state of uncertainty. He should have been released and signed to a minor league deal where there would be no pressure for him or the organization. It was the right thing to do but baseball seems to run on some old code where 36 year olds with broken down bodies need to be protected.

I totally agree with you but Roberts is a favorite of Peter Angelos and we know how those situations usually work out when the owner is in love with a player :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #68 by osforlife » January 25th, 2013, 6:37 pm

The Jurrjens signing pretty much wraps up the off-season I would say. My guess would be Luis Exposito gets DFA. Major Moves:
1. Signing Major League Deals with Jair Jurrjens and Nate McLouth
2. Agreeing to extensions with Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter
3. Claiming Luis Martinez and Alexi Casilla
4. Trading for Danny Valencia and Yamaico Navarro
5. Drafting TJ McFarland
6. Signing Minor League Deals with Conor Jackson, Daniel Schlereth, Travis Ishikawa, etc.
Am I missing anything?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #69 by MemOrioles » January 25th, 2013, 9:59 pm

osforlife wrote:The Jurrjens signing pretty much wraps up the off-season I would say. My guess would be Luis Exposito gets DFA. Major Moves:
1. Signing Major League Deals with Jair Jurrjens and Nate McLouth
2. Agreeing to extensions with Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter
3. Claiming Luis Martinez and Alexi Casilla
4. Trading for Danny Valencia and Yamaico Navarro
5. Drafting TJ McFarland
6. Signing Minor League Deals with Conor Jackson, Daniel Schlereth, Travis Ishikawa, etc.
Am I missing anything?

I would love to see one more big bat, but I could live with this.
Nothing earth shattering has come down, but as last year proved, It's not always about the stars, what is most important is their alignment!
MemOrioles
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #70 by birdwatcher55 » January 28th, 2013, 12:33 pm

I would grade the offseason a B+. Like a typical Ravens' draft, nothing flashy but good moves: signing McLouth; re-upping the Supreme Command; and getting Jurjens signed at a favorable deal. If we had gotten a solid bat, I would have graded things out at A-... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #71 by ofahn » January 28th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:To me the question is are we better right now than when the season ended. I'm all about improving and I realize there's still plenty of time left in the off season, but..............................

There has not been a lot of improvements made. Remember we had McLouth when the season ended. The main pick up was Casilla (who may or may not be needed if Roberts can play). To this point I would rate the off season a D grade. The other minor deals I really have no confidence in any of them making an impact, although I once thought Valencia would be a very good player, and he still could.

My final thought is there is still time to add to the Orioles and I hope Duquette does makes something happen.

This is NOT a challenge to what you posted before, but has your opinion/grade changed? Would you explain your answer?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #72 by Seafordeagles » January 28th, 2013, 4:04 pm

I like the Juurjens move so "to this point" I'll rate it a average grade of C. I still want that other lefty innings eater and can't figure out why they won't sign Saunders. Looks like the Twins are moving on him now.

This team will once again be formidable like last year if Roberts and Reimold can give us anything average or better (.270 avg)(I never get into ops or war, it's just who I am). For some reason I'm more concerned with Reimold than Roberts and I have nothing to base that on other then a gut feeling.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #73 by ofahn » January 28th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I still want that other lefty innings eater and can't figure out why they won't sign Saunders. Looks like the Twins are moving on him now.

I want Saunders, too; but the Twins are only offering him ONE year. IMO if we make the same offer he would sign with us.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #74 by Seafordeagles » January 28th, 2013, 4:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
I want Saunders, too; but the Twins are only offering him ONE year. IMO if we make the same offer he would sign with us.

We need to go one year with a option for a 2nd season.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #75 by A_K » January 28th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Kelly Johnson on a one-year deal is another contract I wish the Orioles had agreed to. We had a black hole of productivity at 2B last year and we're destined to have the same thing yet again. Johnson is now a far cry from the .800 OPS player he used to be but even at his current level of productivity he'd be a decided upgrade over the Casilla, or Roberts (who won't be healthy anyway, but even if he is won't be any good regardless).
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles