Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Delmon Young is he the right handed bat the Orioles need

Re: Delmon Young is he the right handed bat the Orioles need

PostPost #46 by birdwatcher55 » January 17th, 2013, 1:09 pm

osforlife wrote:Ooh sorry. I misinterpreted you with another poster. Why not sign him to $2-3mil? Because he is a bad presense, can't play defense, and doesn't hit lefties to a better rate than the players we already have.

No problem .. I get your drift...Delmon Young is not on your Christmas Card list ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #47 by birdwatcher55 » January 17th, 2013, 1:09 pm

No problem .. I get your drift .. Delmon Young is not on your Christmas Card list ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #48 by Rising O's » January 19th, 2013, 11:47 am

I look at Young as a guy who produces in the so called clutch situations. He has a career which unlike all of the other guys on the current roster is one you can bank on. While I doubt the Orioles will go with Young they must still address this need right hand bat need. Only a fully ready Reimold (he has to be healthy today, not hope he will a month from now) should prevent them from doing so.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #49 by osforlife » January 20th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Rising O's wrote:I look at Young as a guy who produces in the so called clutch situations. He has a career which unlike all of the other guys on the current roster is one you can bank on. While I doubt the Orioles will go with Young they must still address this need right hand bat need. Only a fully ready Reimold (he has to be healthy today, not hope he will a month from now) should prevent them from doing so.

So what are you hopes for the Orioles sign Young? To use him as a DH vs. LHP?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #50 by Rising O's » January 22nd, 2013, 11:51 am

I would see him as DH and LFer vs LHP. The offense has too many guys with awful splits. I would love to find someone other than Young who provides better balance. I have little faith in Reimold being ready and able.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #51 by birdwatcher55 » January 22nd, 2013, 1:18 pm

Enter Young :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #52 by osforlife » January 22nd, 2013, 2:55 pm

Rising O's wrote:I would see him as DH and LFer vs LHP. The offense has too many guys with awful splits. I would love to find someone other than Young who provides better balance. I have little faith in Reimold being ready and able.

Wilson Betemit and Nate McLouth will be the DH and LF against RHP. They both have awful splits against LHP. So, rightfully so, we need a platoon partner for both of them. To this day, we have Steve Pearce, Nolan Reimold, Danny Valencia, and Conor Jackson as our potential right-handed complements to starting players. With the exception of Reimold, all of these players hit LHP much better than they hit RHP. CAREER VS. LHP-
Steve Pearce: .266/.343/.464/.807
Connor Jackson: .283/.381/.436/.818
Danny Valencia: .316/.359/.472/.831
Delmon Young: .307/.341/.483/.824

I would also keep in mind:
1.) Yamaico Navarro and LJ Hoes also hit from the right-side.
2.) I'm sure all of these players are better defenders than Delmon Young; it is hard not to be.
3.) Delmon Young would most likely come at $2-3mil.
4.) Delmon Young is a bad clubhouse presence.

I just don't see how bringing in Delmon Young would help at all.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #53 by Seafordeagles » January 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm

Delmon Young just signed with the Phillies...............................................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #54 by osforlife » January 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

Phillies just signed Delmon Young.
The Phillies announced that they signed Delmon Young to a one-year, $750K contract. The deal includes roster and performance bonuses that could bring the value of the contract to the $3.25MM range, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). The Phillies are looking for the former first overall pick to compete for playing time in the outfield.

“Delmon is an experienced major league bat who will add some depth to our relatively inexperienced outfield and another layer of competition for playing time there as well,” GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said.

The Phillies had internal debate about Young for weeks, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports (on Twitter). While ownership was nervous about his off-field issues, the team needed a right-handed bat. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, who first reported the Phillies' strong interest in Young, heard from Amaro that players with off-field questions won't necessarily deter the Phillies if they can contribute on the field.

Young joins Darin Ruf, John Mayberry Jr., Domonic Brown and Laynce Nix as a contender for playing time in left and right field. The Phillies had also considered signing Scott Hairston and trading for Vernon Wells. However, those moves seem less likely now that Young has officially joined the Phillies.

Young, a right-handed hitter, spent the 2012 season with the Tigers. The Wasserman Media Group client posted a .267/.296/.411 batting line with 18 home runs in 608 plate appearances. He's recovering from ankle surgery, but that didn't stop the Mariners from checking in on him earlier in the winter. However, the Tigers, Braves, Yankees and Indians didn't appear to have interest.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/p ... young.html

I expected him to get a little more but he has many incentives I wouldn't have given him. I think we have to remember he has been a negative WAR player the last two years, SHOULD NOT PLAY IN THE FIELD, and SHOULD NOT HIT AGAINST RIGHT-HANDED PITCHERS.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #55 by ofahn » January 22nd, 2013, 5:20 pm

I'm glad he's no longer a temptation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles