Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Will the Yankees be any good?

Will the Yankees be any good?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 19th, 2013, 1:20 pm

The New York Yankees have made the playoffs 17 of the last 18 years. I know opposing fans say this every off-season, but I think this is the year the Yanks finally crack. Basically, their pitching is good enough, they get on-base, and they hit homeruns. Toppled with a terrible bullpen and weak catching situation, I believe they are relying too heavily on injury & aging risks in Rivera, Jeter, A-Rod, Ichiro, and Pettite. Young talents such as Nunez and Pineda should help. This off-season, they've lost homeruns in Chavez, Swisher, Ibanez, Jones, Martin, and half a season of A-Rod. I just see a team with too many question marks.
Obviously, the off-season isn't over yet, but if the season started today, this is how I'd put our standings.
1. Rays
2. Blue Jays
3. Orioles
4. Yankees
5. Redsox
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Will the Yankees be any good?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 19th, 2013, 8:39 pm

osforlife wrote:The New York Yankees have made the playoffs 17 of the last 18 years. I know opposing fans say this every off-season, but I think this is the year the Yanks finally crack. Basically, their pitching is good enough, they get on-base, and they hit homeruns. Toppled with a terrible bullpen and weak catching situation, I believe they are relying too heavily on injury & aging risks in Rivera, Jeter, A-Rod, Ichiro, and Pettite. Young talents such as Nunez and Pineda should help. This off-season, they've lost homeruns in Chavez, Swisher, Ibanez, Jones, Martin, and half a season of A-Rod. I just see a team with too many question marks.
Obviously, the off-season isn't over yet, but if the season started today, this is how I'd put our standings.
1. Rays
2. Blue Jays
3. Orioles
4. Yankees
5. Redsox

I think you could make a compelling argument for the Blue Jays to finish from second to last. They acquired a bunch of NAMES, but I have some real doubts as whether those names will translate into wins.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Will the Yankees be any good?

PostPost #3 by osforlife » January 19th, 2013, 10:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
I think you could make a compelling argument for the Blue Jays to finish from second to last. They acquired a bunch of NAMES, but I have some real doubts as whether those names will translate into wins.

We can make a compelling argument for every team in the division to finish from first to last.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Around the Majors