Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Hall of Fame Skipper Earl Weaver Passes Away at Age 82

Orioles Hall of Fame Skipper Earl Weaver Passes Away at Age 82

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 19th, 2013, 1:41 pm

"Earl Weaver stands alone as the greatest manager in the history of the Orioles organization and one of the greatest in the history of baseball. This is a sad day for everyone who knew him and for all Orioles fans. Earl made his passion for the Orioles known both on and off the field. On behalf of the Orioles, I extend my condolences to his wife, Marianna, and to his family." - Peter Angelos, on behalf of the Baltimore Orioles.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... -away.html

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/a ... l&c_id=bal
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Hall of Fame Skipper Earl Weaver Passes Away at Age 82

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 19th, 2013, 2:01 pm

This is SO sad. I just wish he could have been in the stands when we won our next World series title.

POINTS to osforlife for posting this.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » January 19th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Sad news indeed. I still harbored fantasies of him returning one day to manage the team and routinely jump down the throats of anyone in his way.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by ofahn » January 19th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I still harbored fantasies of him returning one day to manage the team and routinely jump down the throats of anyone in his way.

He did that? Earl? Sweet, passive Earl? The umpires BIGGEST fan?

This isn't just baseball's loss, it's a loss for all those that take pride in being a professional.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by steve » January 19th, 2013, 6:18 pm

R.I.P Earl Image
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » January 19th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Earl was a computer junkie before there were computers. His baseball Bible accounted for everything that happened on the field. Here's an excerpt from Ron Luciano who along with Earl Weaver was a version of how oil and water don't mix:

Umpire Ron Luciano on meeting Earl Weaver on the field in 1965:

“The first night I ever met Earl Weaver in the minors. I ejected him in the third inning. The next night, I threw him out in the second inning. The third night, he didn’t last through the first inning.

On the fourth night, Weaver came to home plate with the lineup card and said, ‘Are you going to be as horsebleep tonight as you were the other three nights?’ So I threw him out before the game ever began. And our relationship has been going downhill ever since.”
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by osforlife » January 19th, 2013, 7:47 pm

I never got to experience the greatest manager in the history of the franchise, or any of the Orioles Legends. But, I could see the respect from the entire Orioles organization. Take it easy Earl, we'll win a Championship for you soon.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » January 20th, 2013, 12:20 am

He really was brilliant. A true legend. While it's sad that he's passed let's at least be thankful he had a long and comfortable retirement that most of us will never get.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

Return to Baltimore Orioles