Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles extend Buck & Duquette through 2018

Orioles extend Buck & Duquette through 2018

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » January 16th, 2013, 5:41 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/o ... alter.html

Fresh off of their first playoff appearance in 15 years, the Orioles have decided to keep their leadership structure in place for the foreseeable future. The team announced extensions for manager Buck Showalter and executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette through the 2018 season.

Showalter led the Orioles to a 93-69 record this past season. The club defeated the Rangers in a Wild Card play-in game before losing to the Yankees in the Division Series. The 56-year-old finished second to A's manager Bob Melvin in the 2012 American League Manager of the Year voting. Now entering his fourth season with Baltimore, Showalter has a record of 1078-1018 in 14 seasons managing at the MLB level.

Now that's a long term deal. Great news.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles extend Buck & Duquette through 2018

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm

How great does it feel to know that the team finally has some stability at the top?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 16th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ofahn » January 16th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/orioles-extend-duquette-showalter.html

Now that's a long term deal. Great news.

Thanks for posting this. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » January 17th, 2013, 1:07 pm

This move tells me the Orioles are going to stay in the Angelos' Family for a long time. Not sure if this is good or bad 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 17th, 2013, 2:45 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:This move tells me the Orioles are going to stay in the Angelos' Family for a long time.

Why would you say that? Frankly, IMO these moves add value to the franchise because it makes it a more stable organization. I also see it as an affirmation that Angelos finally understands that you need to hire competent people and give them authority because this is, by far, the longest commitment he's made to a manager or GM.

It may also mean that he understands that this is NOT YET a championship caliber team and it will take a few more years to mature into one. I'm glad to see that Buck will finally be around to enjoy the champagne that is a consequence of his efforts.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by A_K » January 17th, 2013, 3:47 pm

I like long-term deals for GMs. They eliminate a lot of the moral hazard associated with perverse job-security based incentives leading to bad personnel moves. That said, I still don't think Duquette is very good at his job, so I'm far from overjoyed to hear he'll be here for the long-term. Glad to continue to be proven wrong on that front though.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » January 17th, 2013, 11:01 pm

This is great news. I am going to boldly predict that the O's wins in years from 2012-2018 will rank in the top 3 in all of baseball..

It seems that DD/Buck believe in the foundation of:
1. Must play D
2. Must play hard and focused every day. One of the reasons we stayed in it the 1st half of last year. And were so tough down the stretch.
3. Pitching and Pitching Depth
4. A line up that is properly put together (guys who can bat in the 1 hole, and so forth properly down the order )
5. Great scouting..see Hammel, Chen, ODay, MGonzo and some others..

I just think they fully believe in the above and that this will lead to a team that will compete every year. I also think they are just getting started..DD came in on the fly last year and the two of them made the most out of what they had/have...There will be a big trade or two or a big FA signing...might not be this year but it will happen at the right time.

As far as winning a championship, who knows. Alot of factors come into play. But I grew up watching the Earl W Orioles and remember the feeling and why. I believe we have returned to that type of team that competed almost every year. We need another 2 or 3 stars to win that many AL Titles but I trust we either have them on the way or will get them..

Great time to be an O's fan...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » January 19th, 2013, 8:51 am

Have to give a shout out here to Dan, who I think has done a nice job here where many others have failed. Could we take a step back this year?? Yes it's possible because the division looks much improved. But I watched Dan for years here in Boston and he has the ability to get the right personnel when and where needed 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 19th, 2013, 10:18 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Have to give a shout out here to Dan, who I think has done a nice job here where many others have failed. Could we take a step back this year?? Yes it's possible because the division looks much improved. But I watched Dan for years here in Boston and he has the ability to get the right personnel when and where needed 8-)

I would like to add to your comment that it should be clear that Angelos TRUSTS DD or he wouldn't be signed through 2018. IMO that means that DD will have the (reasonable) money he needs to add where he thinks it's important.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles