Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arbitration Breakdown: Matt Wieters

Arbitration Breakdown: Matt Wieters

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 15th, 2013, 12:44 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/a ... eters.html

Overall, it’s hard to imagine Wieters getting much less than $4MM and he will probably get more. My projection of $4.6MM would set a new precedent by a considerable margin, so I think he will fall short. Even so, he will probably get relatively close to the projected amount.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Arbitration Breakdown: Matt Wieters

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2013, 1:08 pm

I'm going to predict $5.2m 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 15th, 2013, 1:21 pm

$4.45M
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » January 17th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Prediction: He gets best that he can get and leaves the team as a free agent at the earliest opportunity. Thank you Mr Boras.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » January 17th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Prediction: He gets best that he can get and leaves the team as a free agent at the earliest opportunity. Thank you Mr Boras.

In the Baltimore Sun Wieters said he wants to stay with the Orioles long-term. I can't quote the article because I'm not a insider.

I'm no where near a Boras fan and really can't stand him but Boras does work for Matt, not the other way around.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 17th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:In the Baltimore Sun Wieters said he wants to stay with the Orioles long-term.

What he didn't say was that he wants to stay and be paid REALLY stupid amounts of money. Players don't retain Scott Boras because they want him to negotiate team friendly deals. IF Matt Wieters would accept that his ability to be a full time catcher would almost certainly end around the age of 32 or so and sign a contract that would pay him as a primary DH until he was, say, 36 or so then I could see the Orioles giving him a six year extension. I'm afraid that he will want to be paid as a catcher for the length of any extension and the Orioles would be foolish to do that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » January 17th, 2013, 5:51 pm

ofahn wrote:
What he didn't say was that he wants to stay and be paid REALLY stupid amounts of money. Players don't retain Scott Boras because they want him to negotiate team friendly deals. IF Matt Wieters would accept that his ability to be a full time catcher would almost certainly end around the age of 32 or so and sign a contract that would pay him as a primary DH until he was, say, 36 or so then I could see the Orioles giving him a six year extension. I'm afraid that he will want to be paid as a catcher for the length of any extension and the Orioles would be foolish to do that.

I think a 6 year extension from this point would actually be great. I'm pretty sure Boras would try to do everything he could to talk him out of that though. I can't seem to recollect where Boras ever had one of his clients sign extensions that went into their free agent years.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by osforlife » January 18th, 2013, 1:37 pm

The Orioles avoided arbitration with Matt Wieters, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). The Scott Boras client obtained a $5.5MM contract for 2013, and topped even the most aggressive of estimates from MLBTR's resident arbitration forecaster, Matt Swartz.

Wieters, 26, easily topped Russell Martin's first-time catcher arbitration record of $3.9MM, set in 2009. He remains under team control through 2015 and recently expressed interest in staying with the Orioles long-term. However, Boras clients rarely surrender free agent years while they're arbitration eligible, unless it's a precedent-setting deal.

Of the Orioles' 11 arbitration eligible players, Jim Johnson, Jason Hammel, and Darren O'Day remain unsigned, according to the club, meaning figures have been exchanged.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/o ... rkt4MZR.99

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/o ... ation.html
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #9 by ofahn » January 18th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I think a 6 year extension from this point would actually be great.

Absolutely, but it takes two to tango.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Does anybody else think that some of this year's money is making up for renewing him last year?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » January 19th, 2013, 8:55 am

I would like to lock Matt up with a 7 year, $60 million dollar contract, which I think would be very fair and be reflective of future markets not to mention keeping him an Oriole for the balance of his career 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by ofahn » January 19th, 2013, 10:15 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would like to lock Matt up with a 7 year, $60 million dollar contract, which I think would be very fair and be reflective of future markets not to mention keeping him an Oriole for the balance of his career 8-)

OK, now convince Matt to sign that deal.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by DougDE » January 19th, 2013, 10:15 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would like to lock Matt up with a 7 year, $60 million dollar contract, which I think would be very fair and be reflective of future markets not to mention keeping him an Oriole for the balance of his career 8-)

You think future markets pay an all star catcher less then 10 mil a year? He's one of the best in the league and a Scott Boras client to boot
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » January 20th, 2013, 12:23 am

It's a nice increase in salary and I'm happy for him.

To those of you wanting 6 or 7 year deals with hefty paychecks attached. What will Matt Weiters be in year 4 or 5? I'm not suggesting he's not deserving in anyway. However, catchers usually do not stay catchers long after the age of 30. How much do you want to pay a DH or somewhat stuff 1B?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Baltimore Orioles