Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Delmon Young is he the right handed bat the Orioles need

Re: Delmon Young is he the right handed bat the Orioles need

PostPost #31 by osforlife » January 14th, 2013, 5:41 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I do like his .321 average. :D

You're willing to sign a player to a $5-$6mil deal based on 20 games at Camden Yards? Delmon Young is a very bad player. The Tigers would have been a better team if he hadn't been with them. Out of our 3 right handed hitters that hit lefties considrably better than righties, I'd take Steve Pearce and Danny Valencia over Delmon Young.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Let me say this. Please trust me I am not a fan of Delmon Young, never have been and probably never will be, but to say that you would take Pearce and Valencia over Young's "offensive output" is a little over the top. I just looked at each players stats and there is no comparison at all offensively.

For the money I wouldn't want Young but if their salaries were comparable then Young is the much better option.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #33 by thezeroes » January 14th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Let me say this. Please trust me I am not a fan of Delmon Young, never have been and probably never will be, but to say that you would take Pearce and Valencia over Young's "offensive output" is a little over the top. I just looked at each players stats and there is no comparison at all offensively.

For the money I wouldn't want Young but if their salaries were comparable then Young is the much better option.

.316 Batting Average

.359 On Base Percentage

.472 Slugging

.831 OPS

Valencia 's career splits as a RHB against a LHP
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #34 by ofahn » January 14th, 2013, 6:32 pm

thezeroes wrote:
.316 Batting Average

.359 On Base Percentage

.472 Slugging

.831 OPS

POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #35 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 6:36 pm

thezeroes wrote:
.316 Batting Average

.359 On Base Percentage

.472 Slugging

.831 OPS

and what has he done the last 2 years? C'mon man you're quoting stuff that just doesn't matter in the big picture. He's hit below .200 overall. I hope he goes back to what he did his first 2 years. I always liked Valencia and thought he would be a major star.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #36 by ofahn » January 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

and what has he done the last 2 years? C'mon man you're quoting stuff that just doesn't matter in the big picture. He's hit below .200 overall. I hope he goes back to what he did his first 2 years. I always liked Valencia and thought he would be a major star.

If you are objective about Delmon Young's value it really is no more than Valencia's. Young has a modestly better bat, a below average glove, and a questionable disposition. Valencia can hit LH and is a MUCH better defender.

Any team that pays Young more than about 1.5M this year is overpaying.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 7:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
If you are objective about Delmon Young's value it really is no more than Valencia's. Young has a modestly better bat, a below average glove, and a questionable disposition. Valencia can hit LH and is a MUCH better defender.

Any team that pays Young more than about 1.5M this year is overpaying.

Perhaps you didn't see this post from me:

Let me say this. Please trust me I am not a fan of Delmon Young, never have been and probably never will be, but to say that you would take Pearce and Valencia over Young's "offensive output" is a little over the top. I just looked at each players stats and there is no comparison at all offensively.

Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #38 by osforlife » January 14th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Let me say this. Please trust me I am not a fan of Delmon Young, never have been and probably never will be, but to say that you would take Pearce and Valencia over Young's "offensive output" is a little over the top. I just looked at each players stats and there is no comparison at all offensively.

I'am pretty sure I didn't strictly say offense. Valencia and Pearce provide more defensive value and they all hit lefties about the same. I wouldn't play any of them against RHP.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 7:34 pm

osforlife wrote:I'am pretty sure I didn't strictly say offense. Valencia and Pearce provide more defensive value and they all hit lefties about the same. I wouldn't play any of them against RHP.

And please believe me when I said that I don't want Young.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by osforlife » January 14th, 2013, 7:40 pm

I don't disagree with you on that. I just wanted to say, I wasn't comparing the three strictly offensively. They all hit about the same vs. LHP and Valencia & Pearce provide more defensive value.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 7:50 pm

osforlife wrote:I don't disagree with you on that. I just wanted to say, I wasn't comparing the three strictly offensively. They all hit about the same vs. LHP and Valencia & Pearce provide more defensive value.

I know but there has to be a reason for Pearce being put on waivers 4 times and Valencia to just play horribly the last 2 years. Young's numbers have been fairly steady during his career.

With all of that I really want Valencia to bounce back and Pearce to be decent. I'll finish by saying that I "hope" the Orioles don't go out and get Young.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #42 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2013, 1:18 pm

osforlife wrote:You're willing to sign a player to a $5-$6mil deal based on 20 games at Camden Yards? Delmon Young is a very bad player. The Tigers would have been a better team if he hadn't been with them. Out of our 3 right handed hitters that hit lefties considrably better than righties, I'd take Steve Pearce and Danny Valencia over Delmon Young.

Never said I would spend $5-6 mil on Young. If that's what it would take, then good day to him. BUT if you can get him at real value - say $2-3 mil, then why not??? He hits at Camden Yards and guess where we play 81 of our games?? Pearce and Valencia are nothing more than AAAA types and they have bus tickets to prove it 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #43 by ofahn » January 15th, 2013, 1:21 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Never said I would spend $5-6 mil on Young. If that's what it would take, then good day to him. BUT if you can get him at real value - say $2-3 mil, then why not??? He hits at Camden Yards and guess where we play 81 of our games?? Pearce and Valencia are nothing more than AAAA types and they have bus tickets to prove it 8-)

When you're working with a four man bench it becomes REAL difficult to use one of those spots for a offense only player. Since we already have one of those in Betemit, Young would be a serious problem.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #44 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
And please believe me when I said that I don't want Young.

I believe you. No love for Young on this board :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #45 by osforlife » January 15th, 2013, 3:10 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Never said I would spend $5-6 mil on Young. If that's what it would take, then good day to him. BUT if you can get him at real value - say $2-3 mil, then why not??? He hits at Camden Yards and guess where we play 81 of our games?? Pearce and Valencia are nothing more than AAAA types and they have bus tickets to prove it 8-)

Ooh sorry. I misinterpreted you with another poster. Why not sign him to $2-3mil? Because he is a bad presense, can't play defense, and doesn't hit lefties to a better rate than the players we already have.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles