Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

Re: Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I'm totally okay with Britton being our #5 guy. I think we have a lot of options and he's the best one I can see right now 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by ofahn » January 15th, 2013, 1:23 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm totally okay with Britton being our #5 guy. I think we have a lot of options and he's the best one I can see right now 8-)

Why do you believe it would be in his, and the team's, best interest to pass on the remainder of his development?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2013, 3:04 pm

osforlife wrote:Jeff Karstens was just signed by the Pirates. I think he would have been a nice option for the 5th starter. It's now basically down to Joe Saunders and Shaun Marcum for me. I think we still need to sign a starter.

I like Marcum but he might become pricey. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by osforlife » January 15th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Zach Britton and Steve Johnson do not have the most upside of our young pitchers. You can say you believe they have the best chance of succeeding in the big leagues, but they do not have the most upside. I think Steve Johnson will do in long relief.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2013, 4:13 pm

osforlife wrote:Zach Britton and Steve Johnson do not have the most upside of our young pitchers. You can say you believe they have the best chance of succeeding in the big leagues, but they do not have the most upside. I think Steve Johnson will do in long relief.

I personally like Britton and the fact he pitched some nice games at critical times last year down the stretch. The key is his health. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Old Sneakers » January 16th, 2013, 1:15 pm

This is the trouble with a convoluted plan. I agree with others that providing they are healthy Hammel, Chen and Tillman are almost certainly in the opening day rotation. However I still would be hardly surprised at all if Jake Arrieta and Zack Britton are the two whom emerge as 200 IP workhorse type guys that carry the rotation.

I also agree that signing Joe Saunders to a two year deal would be fantastic. However he's still looking for a lengthier deal and I don't blame him.

What I am shocked is no quality trade came down where a solid arm was traded in exchange for one of the team's needs.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #22 by birdwatcher55 » January 16th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I feel strongly we had trade offers on the table for Matusz and Tillman but said "no thanks." And I'm perfectly fine with that approach. The only young arm I would have given up would have been Dylan Bundy in a deal for Stanton because he would have been a huge difference maker in the AL East 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » January 16th, 2013, 3:51 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:The only young arm I would have given up would have been Dylan Bundy in a deal for Stanton

Look at what Seattle was offering for Upton. Bundy and Schoop wouldn't have gotten the Stanton deal done.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by osforlife » February 9th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Dan Duquette was not able to sign Shaun Marcum or Joe Saunders, or Dan Haren, if you want to go back earlier in the off-season. IMO, he should have signed one of them, and should have been willing to overpay a bit. Now, the 5th starter is a classic definition on dog-fight between Zach Britton, Tsuyoshi Wada, TJ McFarland, Steve Johnson, and Todd Redmond.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Seafordeagles » February 9th, 2013, 4:24 pm

osforlife wrote:Dan Duquette was not able to sign Shaun Marcum or Joe Saunders, or Dan Haren, if you want to go back earlier in the off-season. IMO, he should have signed one of them, and should have been willing to overpay a bit. Now, the 5th starter is a classic definition on dog-fight between Zach Britton, Tsuyoshi Wada, TJ McFarland, Steve Johnson, and Todd Redmond.

It's been reported that Wada will not be ready at the start of the season.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #26 by rudyrooster » February 10th, 2013, 1:16 am

I like Britton more than any of the rest of the so-called "cavalry". I tell you this kid can flat-out pitch. We've just gotta get him healthy and keep him healthy. Here's hoping 2013 is Britton's year to shine...for a full season.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #27 by osforlife » February 10th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
It's been reported that Wada will not be ready at the start of the season.

I've heard reports that Wada is ahead of schedule but he'll likely spend the year in extended spring training. He should get some starts this year but I wouldn't expect much, considering he is coming off tommy john. But, I'd like it if we exercised his option for 2014.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by A_K » February 10th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Wada, like Roberts, shouldn't be part of anyone's thinking for the Orioles this year.

I see Arrieta, Britton and Matsuz as the favorites for the fifth rotation spot, in that order.

Of course, that presumes the first four pitchers breeze through spring training without any injuries.

Not sure how Redmond fits into the conversation right now.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #29 by ofahn » February 10th, 2013, 3:12 pm

A_K wrote:Not sure how Redmond fits into the conversation right now.

...or McFarland.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by A_K » February 10th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Yeah, I'll be interested in taking a look at Redmond and McFarlane, but I don't have any clue to what extent they figure into our plans.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles