Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 2nd, 2012, 2:45 pm

Let's roll through the options of our 5th starting pitcher, considering I think we all believe Hammel, Chen, Tillman, And Gonzalez are locks. Are you in favor of

A.) Standing Pat; How about letting in-house candidates, Britton, Johnson, & more fight for the job?
B.) Signing a Big-Name Starting Pitcher; Is it time to shell out money for a Greinke or Sanchez?
C.) Signing a Low-Key Starting Pitcher; With Bundy and Gausman looming, maybe a one year deal to Saunders or Lannan?
D.) Trading for a Starter; Is it time to make a big trade for a proven commodity with prospects?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Back to Starting Rotation 2013

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2012, 9:11 pm

C. I still think Saunders would be the best move.

That allows the Orioles more flexibility to do as they see best with Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Johnson.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2012, 9:27 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I still think Saunders would be the best move.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 10:39 pm

Saunders on a 1 year deal with an option is the best move. If they have no choice but to go 2 years it wouldn't be the worst thing as he would be great as a LOOGY but it would be something to think about.

One option not listed that I also think would be good would be to trade some of our pitching depth for a legit middle of the order bat and then replace that pitching with some risk reward signings (McCarthy, Liriano, etc.).
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by osforlife » December 3rd, 2012, 5:31 pm

I don't have any interest in Liriano. Three of his last four years have been crap. I wouldn't put him higher than 7th on the opening day depth chart. Minor league deal, go ahead. There is no such thing as a bad minor league signing. But I wouldn't count on him at all. I"d go with C too. Saunder would allow Matusz, Britton, and Bundy to all spend time in AAA with Rick Petersen(still no word about signing him?) while Steve Johnson and Wada(although he will stay back in extended ST for the first part of the year) to pitch in a swing man role.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 14th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Jeff Karstens was just signed by the Pirates. I think he would have been a nice option for the 5th starter. It's now basically down to Joe Saunders and Shaun Marcum for me. I think we still need to sign a starter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 7:52 pm

osforlife wrote:Jeff Karstens was just signed by the Pirates. I think he would have been a nice option for the 5th starter. It's now basically down to Joe Saunders and Shaun Marcum for me. I think we still need to sign a starter.

I don't have a problem with either. I think Saunders was probably decent to have in the clubhouse and you can never have enough lefties on your staff.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 14th, 2013, 8:08 pm

osforlife wrote:Jeff Karstens was just signed by the Pirates. I think he would have been a nice option for the 5th starter. It's now basically down to Joe Saunders and Shaun Marcum for me. I think we still need to sign a starter.

Each team that fills their last spot in the rotation makes it that much easier for us to sign Saunders for the price we see as fair. I think that Joe made a huge mistake believing that he was worth a four year deal, and then not accepting reality when it became apparent that the league did not agree with his assessment.

I can see a one year deal with a vested option.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » January 14th, 2013, 8:30 pm

ofahn wrote:
Each team that fills their last spot in the rotation makes it that much easier for us to sign Saunders for the price we see as fair. I think that Joe made a huge mistake believing that he was worth a four year deal, and then not accepting reality when it became apparent that the league did not agree with his assessment.

I can see a one year deal with a vested option.

I agree. I think he can be steady and a lot of left handers don't "get it" until they're in their 30's.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #10 by rudyrooster » January 14th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Don't count out Britton and Johnson. I personally believe that they are the two O's "young guns" with the most upside. Guys that have an understanding of what it takes to be a MLB pitcher. Big league pitching is so much more a mental game as a physical game. These 2 guys have shown me that they have "good enough stuff" and (even more so) the intangibles to succeed (if healthy) at the major league level...just my humble opinion...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #11 by ofahn » January 15th, 2013, 8:32 am

rudyrooster wrote:Don't count out Britton and Johnson. I personally believe that they are the two O's "young guns" with the most upside. Guys that have an understanding of what it takes to be a MLB pitcher. Big league pitching is so much more a mental game as a physical game. These 2 guys have shown me that they have "good enough stuff" and (even more so) the intangibles to succeed (if healthy) at the major league level...just my humble opinion...

As much as I agree with what you posted I still think that it would be best for Britton (and Arrieta and Matusz) to start the season in AAA so they can finish the development they never got before last year. There's no reason for them to take a roster spot at this point UNLESS they're really ready to be successful in the ML.

After those three guys (and Steve Johnson) we don't have any ML ready SPs in our farm system. Yes, I know about Dylan Bundy and Gausman and, no, I don't think they're ready to pitch a full season in Baltimore nor will the club allow them to. Either or both of them may make short (emergency) appearances in Baltimore this season, but we really shouldn't consider them regular rotation candidates until 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by A_K » January 15th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I still see S. Johnson as a nice guy to have in your organization but someone who should never really be in your mind when you're planning your roster. He has value as rotation depth in AAA or as a long reliever (and rotation depth) in the majors, and if he continues to excel and force his way into your rotation, or finds his way there due to injuries and shows he belongs, that's fine. But otherwise I'd say a smart front office should look at his peripheral numbers and presume he isn't part of their short or long-term plans.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 15th, 2013, 12:27 pm

A_K wrote:I still see S. Johnson as a nice guy to have in your organization but someone who should never really be in your mind when you're planning your roster. He has value as rotation depth in AAA or as a long reliever (and rotation depth) in the majors, and if he continues to excel and force his way into your rotation, or finds his way there due to injuries and shows he belongs, that's fine. But otherwise I'd say a smart front office should look at his peripheral numbers and presume he isn't part of their short or long-term plans.

Sad, but true.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 15th, 2013, 12:33 pm

A_K wrote:I still see S. Johnson as a nice guy to have in your organization but someone who should never really be in your mind when you're planning your roster. He has value as rotation depth in AAA or as a long reliever (and rotation depth) in the majors, and if he continues to excel and force his way into your rotation, or finds his way there due to injuries and shows he belongs, that's fine. But otherwise I'd say a smart front office should look at his peripheral numbers and presume he isn't part of their short or long-term plans.

I think this stands true when looking at him as a starter, but I think he makes a great reliever.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #15 by ofahn » January 15th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think this stands true when looking at him as a starter, but I think he makes a great reliever.

I agree with your evaluation, but I also agree with A_K that he's a role player, at best, at this point. Of course, he can pitch his way into something more.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles