Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Do You Interpret Buck's Trade Comments?

How Do You Interpret Buck's Trade Comments?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » January 13th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Buck recently made these remarks about any potential Orioles trade.

"I know from talking to Peter [Angelos], if there's a deal there that everybody thinks works, we're going to go. Nobody's scared here. Nobody's afraid to make a deal here. Trust me. Trust me. It's just, we've got to get the right one,"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/e ... -jays.html

How do you interpret them? I see the FO willing to make a trade that will help the team over the long haul. IMO the team only has a few positions they believe might need an upgrade OR that they're willing to replace the projected player; and I don't see much in the way of realistic trade opportunities for the available positions. I also don't believe we have the EXPENDABLE prospects to consider a trade for a player like Stanton. Let's hope that changes for 2014 because a lot of the talent we have in our system breaks out.

I think Buck is being very clear that we're NOT going to be making any trades that would empty the farm system or open other holes in our lineup. Around April 1st I'll know if I guessed right.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: How Do You Interpret Buck's Trade Comments?

PostPost #2 by dan72 » January 13th, 2013, 4:10 pm

I agree with what you said regarding prospect depth to consumate a deal. If we had more Bundy and Machado caliber players, we would be able to make that big trade. As it stands now every team we talk to about a trade wants one or both of them (Bundy and Machado) and we should not under any circumstance deal either one.

Buck's comment seems to be in response to the fan bases concern over what looks like the team not doing anything this off season. I just want to see Saunders get signed soon. I have gone on record previously as saying I am glad to see the team NOT over spend for free agents as I have seen most clubs do this off season.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 13th, 2013, 9:33 pm

ofahn wrote:How do you interpret them? I see the FO willing to make a trade that will help the team over the long haul. IMO the team only has a few positions they believe might need an upgrade OR that they're willing to replace the projected player; and I don't see much in the way of realistic trade opportunities for the available positions. I also don't believe we have the EXPENDABLE prospects to consider a trade for a player like Stanton. Let's hope that changes for 2014 because a lot of the talent we have in our system breaks out.

I'm not reading into it too much. I think the Orioles value their young pitching much more than other teams do, so they have been reluctant to make a deal.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 14th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Simply put: I trust in Dan The Man. If he likes a player and it's going to cost us a bit, my sense is he will have Angelos' backing 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles