Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yanks pursue Morse

Yanks pursue Morse

PostPost #1 by dan72 » January 11th, 2013, 10:00 am

Here we go again. Another AL East team looking to improve. As the off season closes and we get closer to spring training, I would expect the Orioles to do something. We can't even resign Saunders at this point so I should not be suprised that Michael Morse is not on the Orioles radar. Instead he is on the Yankees wish list.
The Orioles could use another power bat in the line up. Morse can DH, play 1B and LF.
Here is the quote from the Bleacher report.

"The New York Yankees—in search of a right-handed bat to complement a left-handed hitting outfield—may have found the perfect fit in the Washington Nationals' Michael Morse.

ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand reports that the Bronx Bombers have expressed interest in the 30-year-old OF/DH, a move that would appear to be a great fit for the Yankees.

Morse is coming off a season in which he hit .291, 18 HR and 62 RBI in 102 games while splitting time primarily between right and left field."
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Yanks pursue Morse

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 11th, 2013, 10:10 am

dan72 wrote:Here we go again. Another AL East team looking to improve.

I don't see CHANGE or JUST DOING SOMETHING as improvement. I see Morse as a DH and I believe we have that covered already at a level equal to what Morse did last year. If we need to add another DH piece we can do so during the season and the cost won't be very high.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 11th, 2013, 11:46 am

dan72 wrote:Here we go again. Another AL East team looking to improve. As the off season closes and we get closer to spring training, I would expect the Orioles to do something. We can't even resign Saunders at this point so I should not be suprised that Michael Morse is not on the Orioles radar. Instead he is on the Yankees wish list.
The Orioles could use another power bat in the line up. Morse can DH, play 1B and LF.
Here is the quote from the Bleacher report.

Morse is a much better fit for the Yankees than he is for the Orioles. Morse doesn't provide a huge upgrade at DH, although he would allow the team to rely less on a platoon.

It would be fine if the Orioles traded for Morse, but I won't be even a bit upset if it does not happen. The Yankees acquiring him doesn't even strike me as a major acquisition.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » January 11th, 2013, 12:11 pm

To me Morse would be a great addition to the Yankees. He gives them a right handed DH and a left fielder that can be platooned. He was hurt last year so his power numbers were down. In 2011 in just over 500 at bats he hit 31 dingers with 95 rbi's. That's great production for someone probably slated for the 6 or 7 hole in New York.

About the only thing that the Orioles could use from Morse is his power. Our left fielders are better and I think Buck wants Chris Davis at 1st base and not a platoon situation with someone like Morse. I have to admit his power numbers are very intriguing. Hopefully the Yankees won't get him for a song.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 11th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:About the only thing that the Orioles could use from Morse is his power. Our left fielders are better and I think Buck wants Chris Davis at 1st base and not a platoon situation with someone like Morse. I have to admit his power numbers are very intriguing. Hopefully the Yankees won't get him for a song.

That's good point. If Morse return to his 2010/2011 self I would love to see the O's trade for him. But I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he'll return to form. Although he did start to hit really well towards the end of last season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » January 11th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:That's good point. If Morse return to his 2010/2011 self I would love to see the O's trade for him. But I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he'll return to form. Although he did start to hit really well towards the end of last season.

The issue with the Orioles is to a degree Nolan Reimold (who knows what he will do if anything, and I'm a Reimold fan), and Wilson Betemit. If we didn't have one of those guys than I would be all in on trying to acquire Morse. I'm not a great fan of Betemit and he did win a couple games for us last year, but he's such a butcher in the field. I know he's a switch hitter and Morse only bats right handed. It's really hard to overlook Morse's power. I think last years production at the end of the year from Morse looks like he'll be okay.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » January 11th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Here's something interesting. Morse came up as a shortstop for the Mariners. In 243 major league games in the outfield he has only 2 errors. I realize he probably will never be mistaken for McLouth in the outfield but he is certainly not a bad outfielder.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 11th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Here's something interesting. Morse came up as a shortstop for the Mariners. In 243 major league games in the outfield he has only 2 errors. I realize he probably will never be mistaken for McLouth in the outfield but he is certainly not a bad outfielder.

Adam Jones was also signed as a SS, but the Orioles evaluated that he wasn't suitable for that position as a ML. SS are usually one of the best athletes, but there's no guarantee that they'll be able to play another position at an above average or plus level. Morse's OF play over the past few years has shown he's not an above average OF.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » January 11th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Morse can play 1B, LF, and DH; and he's a terrible fielder. So, even though he may be a slight upgrade at DH, as I suspect offensive production will be in between his 2011/2012 years, he isn't a good fit for us. No need to make a move just to make a move.
We have a platoon at DH(Betemit and Valencia), a platoon in left(McLouth and Reimold), and Chris Davis at first. Then, even some depth at those positions with Jackson, Hoes, Ishikawa, Pearce, etc.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » January 11th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Here's something interesting. Morse came up as a shortstop for the Mariners. In 243 major league games in the outfield he has only 2 errors. I realize he probably will never be mistaken for McLouth in the outfield but he is certainly not a bad outfielder.
nice post 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » January 11th, 2013, 10:13 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:nice post 8-)

Thank you.:)
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » January 16th, 2013, 7:26 pm

OFF TOPIC, Morse to Mariners in a 3 team trade with the A's. Washington received one of their former prospects back. They gave Morse away...
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 16th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:They gave Morse away...

I didn't value Morse as highly as some others. I'm not surprised that Seattle made that trade. They're almost desperate for a hitter. It's a bit of a let down from Upton.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:OFF TOPIC, Morse to Mariners in a 3 team trade with the A's. Washington received one of their former prospects back. They gave Morse away...

I think this is an absolutely terrible trade for Seattle. I mean I really, really just do not understand why they made this deal. Montero is a below-average defender behind the plate and now he will be forced to play there. Seems silly to me, especially when Morse isn't much better than Jaso offensively when you consider their positions. Mariners now have Montero, Morse, Ibanez, and Morales. And I thought the Orioles had too many DHs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » January 16th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think this is an absolutely terrible trade for Seattle. I mean I really, really just do not understand why they made this deal. Montero is a below-average defender behind the plate and now he will be forced to play there. Seems silly to me, especially when Morse isn't much better than Jaso offensively when you consider their positions. Mariners now have Montero, Morse, Ibanez, and Morales. And I thought the Orioles had too many DHs.

Thanks for moving my post on Morse. I didn't see this thread.

Cole put up some really rough numbers when he move to High A class. Maybe Washington knows more than I think.

Maybe they'll give us Smoak and play Morse at 1st base, who could probably use a change of scenery. The guy was just about a can't miss prospect.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles