Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tigers want Hardy, but O's unlikely to deal him

Re: Tigers want Hardy, but O's unlikely to deal him

PostPost #16 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'd take Porcello over Tillman

Give Rick Peterson the six weeks of ST and maybe another month at AAA with Porcello and we could easily see the leap in performance that we saw from Tillman last year. The talent is there. It just needs a way to get out.

At this point Porcello is the sixth man on Detroit's SP depth chart and he WILL NOT BE happy about that. He needs a new home just like Arrieta. I would love to see that trade expanded by adding Arrieta from us for Rondon from them. It would give the Tigers the SP waiting at AAA they'll need as insurance this year, and us a young stud reliever.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 4:14 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You would take a mediorce .500 pitcher, who looks like the next Guthrie, with over 700 innings on his arm over the likes of Tillman, Britton and Matusz?? Good luck with that :lol:

Porcello's career statistics are much, much better than Guthrie's. It's not really close.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » January 8th, 2013, 4:22 pm

This talk is all nice but I seriously believe that Hardy will not be traded this season and I know Jim Johnson won't.

Porcello lost his place in the rotation with the Tigers and there's a reason for that. Peralta may be a nice player to some but I think he's overweight and his future in the game will probably be as a DH, plus he's a free agent after this season. Get him then, he certainly won't cost you a draft pick.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:This talk is all nice but I seriously believe that Hardy will not be traded this season and I know Jim Johnson won't.

Porcello lost his place in the rotation with the Tigers and there's a reason for that. Peralta may be a nice player to some but I think he's overweight and his future in the game will probably be as a DH, plus he's a free agent after this season. Get him then, he certainly won't cost you a draft pick.

Part of the reason is because they have 4 very good pitchers, and another one who is under team control for 6 years. Peralta would only be here for a year so his weight should not be an issue, even more so if he is playing 3B.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #20 by OriolesRedskins28 » January 8th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Would love Porcello, Castellanos, and Peralta for Hardy and Johnson. Relievers are expendable (not to mention the fact that Johnson is due to come back to earth a little bit), I love Hardy but he's injury prone, Porcello was a former top 5 prospect in all of baseball so he still has untapped potential IMO and even if he doesn't reach it he would be a very solid BOR starter. Castellanos is a decent 3B prospect which would be a nice add and Peralta would be an offensive upgrade over JJ Hardy which would allow Machado to move to SS.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #21 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Peralta would only be here for a year so his weight should not be an issue, even more so if he is playing 3B.

This will also be his "walk" year so he'll be highly motivated to come into camp in good shape.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #22 by rudyrooster » January 8th, 2013, 5:56 pm

There is "risk" in every trade. This proposed trade is at the high-end of the risk factor--FOR US! I couldn't pull the trigger on this one...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #23 by Seafordeagles » January 8th, 2013, 6:06 pm

rudyrooster wrote:There is "risk" in every trade. This proposed trade is at the high-end of the risk factor--FOR US! I couldn't pull the trigger on this one...

Thank you.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #24 by LA Detective » January 8th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I am just not a fan of giving up Hardy. He does so much to anchor our defense in so many intangable ways. I know Machado is great but he is still learning. I would rather him just play 3rd and learn even more having Hardy next to him through next year.

I think our left side has a chance to be as good as anyone's in the league. It's part of the winning formula for us. I just dont see Peralta being in that category. I know he was on a WS team but that's a team that can spend alot to make up for some of the less fundamental aspects of the game. This is an area we need to excel at to beat the high payroll teams..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #25 by OriolesRedskins28 » January 8th, 2013, 8:03 pm

I love everything Hardy brings to the table but this past year was just the second time in his career he's played more than 150 games and just the third time he's played more than 130 games. He is proven to be injury prone and he ain't getting' any younger. Selling high is never a bad thing.

Could also potentially be buying low on Porcello and Castellanos who both had mediocre years considering their upside and talent level.

Not that I'm desperate to get rid of Hardy because again he does bring a whole lot of good to the table with both production and intangibles but selling high is never a bad thing.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Thank God some of you don't run our front office. I can't believe the fascination here about dealing a solid SS, and 50-save closer for a package of mediocre talent. Please come to your senses!!! :roll:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #27 by Seafordeagles » January 9th, 2013, 4:35 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Thank God some of you don't run our front office. I can't believe the fascination here about dealing a solid SS, and 50-save closer for a package of mediocre talent. Please come to your senses!!! :roll:

Amen brother, I got tired of posting about how ridiculous that trade would be.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by osforlife » January 9th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Amen brother, I got tired of posting about how ridiculous that trade would be.

It's not ridiculous. Who is our future at third base? Castellanos is the 10th best prospect in baseball, and the best third base prospect, according to MLB.com. Porcello is a very young pitcher with untapped potential and has been pitching for a very bad defensive team. Peralta fills the void we would leave at third base if we traded Hardy. Hardy and Johnson's value are both high right now, no? Jim Johnson saved 50 games last year, and Darren O'Day was a better pitcher. JJ Hardy won a gold glove last year, and Manny Machado is a shortstop, not a third basemen.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #29 by Seafordeagles » January 9th, 2013, 5:31 pm

osforlife wrote:It's not ridiculous. Who is our future at third base? Castellanos is the 10th best prospect in baseball, and the best third base prospect, according to MLB.com. Porcello is a very young pitcher with untapped potential and has been pitching for a very bad defensive team. Peralta fills the void we would leave at third base if we traded Hardy. Hardy and Johnson's value are both high right now, no? Jim Johnson saved 50 games last year, and Darren O'Day was a better pitcher. JJ Hardy won a gold glove last year, and Manny Machado is a shortstop, not a third basemen.

Yeah and Manny sucks at 3rd base too...........................

Untapped potential, hell we got 5 pitchers with untapped potential named Tillman, Britton, Matuz, Arieta, Steve Johnson. You can even throw Tommy Hunter in there. We already have 6 pitchers with as much "upside" as Porcello. Why add another?

and yes it is ridiculous, even Dan Duquette knows that.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #30 by A_K » January 9th, 2013, 5:48 pm

The funny thing about this conversation is that the trade proposal definiteily IS laughably ridiculous, but that's because Detroit, not Baltimore, would laugh at the proposal. Hardy and Johnson aren't near enough to get Porcello and Castellanos. If this trade were actually proposed for even a second Duquette would grab the bag and run away laughing.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles