Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tigers want Hardy, but O's unlikely to deal him

Tigers want Hardy, but O's unlikely to deal him

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 1:12 pm

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... umors.html

I heard last night that the Tigers and Cubs are discussing a potential trade involving pitcher Rick Porcello, who also interests the Orioles. Now here's the rumored kicker: The Tigers are trying to get the Orioles involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy, and they don't feel as though the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.

I still don't think the Orioles are willing to part with Hardy unless they're absolutely overwhelmed by an offer. They love the left side of their infield. They're not looking to shift Manny Machado to shortstop in 2013.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Tigers want Hardy, but O's unlikely to deal him

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I still think that Hardy and Jim Johnson to the Tigers for Porcello, Castellanos, and Peralta makes the most sense for the Detroit this year and us for the future.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:30 pm

ofahn wrote:I still think that Hardy and Jim Johnson to the Tigers for Porcello, Castellanos, and Peralta makes the most sense for the Detroit this year and us for the future.

You've got to be kidding??? :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:33 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You've got to be kidding??? :lol:

Which part don't you like? The part where we get a young POTENTIAL #2 SP or the part where we get a young stud 3B? You know, the kind of POTENTIAL impact position player we don't have ML ready.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:40 pm

You want to disrupt the left side of our infield for a journeyman type INF, and inconsistent pitcher and a maybe prospect who was nothing special in 2012??? I truly don't understand where you are coming from with this!! Oh yeah, and who closes??? :roll:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 2:56 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You want to disrupt the left side of our infield for a journeyman type INF, and inconsistent pitcher and a maybe prospect who was nothing special in 2012??? I truly don't understand where you are coming from with this!! Oh yeah, and who closes??? :roll:

Hardy vs. Peralta over the past two seasons: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... =1738,3797

Peralta has a better wOBA, wRC+, WAR, BB%, AVG, OBP.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » January 8th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Johnson is easily replaceable. Hardy can be replaced if we receive a third basemen, which would be Peralta. We don't have a future at third base and Porcello fits our 5th starter spot with potential. I think I'd be fine with Johnson and Hardy for Peralta, Porcello, and Castellanos.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 3:44 pm

. That deal would be absolutely absurd in that (1) you weaken a very strong leftside defense with a journeyman type third baseman; (2) you create a hole at the back end of the bullpen that could be catostrophic to say the least if Strop melts down again; (3) and add a pitcher that has been nothing but inconsistent with a ton of innings on his arm at age 23ish..Thankfully you don't run our Front Office 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » January 8th, 2013, 3:47 pm

osforlife wrote:Johnson is easily replaceable. Hardy can be replaced if we receive a third basemen, which would be Peralta. We don't have a future at third base and Porcello fits our 5th starter spot with potential. I think I'd be fine with Johnson and Hardy for Peralta, Porcello, and Castellanos.

Wow, didn't know over 50 saves was easily replaceable, I mean it's only been done by 11 pitchers in the history of baseball.

I can't figure out the love affair with Porcello and why some want to trade the fireman of the year and a gold glove shortstop. Also we already have five #5 starters already in our system.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Wow, didn't know over 50 saves was easily replaceable, I mean it's only been done by 11 pitchers in the history of baseball.

I can't figure out the love affair with Porcello and why some want to trade the fireman of the year and a gold glove shortstop. Also we already have five #5 starters already in our system.

Any solid reliever put in a position to rack up saves can do so.

I see Porcello as a pitcher who is much better than our current young pitchers. With a good defense behind him, like the Orioles have, you'd see much better results. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... ,4153,2646
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Any solid reliever put in a position to rack up saves can do so.

I see Porcello as a pitcher who is much better than our current young pitchers. With a good defense behind him, like the Orioles have, you'd see much better results. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... ,4153,2646

Seriously dude you believe Porcello is better "than our current young pitchers"??? Other than Arrieta, who would you lump in there??? :?:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 4:00 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Seriously dude you believe Porcello is better "than our current young pitchers"??? Other than Arrieta, who would you lump in there??? :?:

I'd take Porcello over Tillman, Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz if I could have one for the next six years.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Seafordeagles » January 8th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Any solid reliever put in a position to rack up saves can do so.

Justin if that was the case how come only 11 have ever done that in the history of major league baseball.

This statement is wrong (sorry but it is): "With a good defense behind him, like the Orioles have, you'd see much better results"

Your defense will never be as good because you just traded the gold glove shortstop and just put Peralta on 3rd base and Manny on short.

Manny doesn't equal Hardy on short (now).

Peralta doesn't equal Manny on 3rd base ever.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:If that was the case how come only 11 have ever done that in the history of major league baseball.

This statement is wrong (sorry but it is): "With a good defense behind him, like the Orioles have, you'd see much better results"

Your defense will never be as good because you just traded the gold glove shortstop and just put Peralta on 3rd base and Manny on short.

Manny doesn't equal Hardy on short (now).

Peralta doesn't equal Manny on 3rd base ever.

I didn't say it was easy to reach 50 saves, but that if a player is put in position to do so that it's possible for any good reliever. Johnson was very good at converting saves, true, but the team has other relievers who could get the job done.

The defense would definitely be slightly worse, but I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. Porcello's defense still would be going from a well below-average one to an above-average one. His results would improve even with a Peralta/Machado left side of the infield.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'd take Porcello over Tillman, Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz if I could have one for the next six years.

You would take a mediorce .500 pitcher, who looks like the next Guthrie, with over 700 innings on his arm over the likes of Tillman, Britton and Matusz?? Good luck with that :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles