Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Add Orioles to teams that have pursued Justin Upton"

"Add Orioles to teams that have pursued Justin Upton"

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 1:09 pm

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 1551068160

Add #Orioles to teams that have pursued JUpton. Strong interest a few weeks back, but talks sputtered. Team seemingly more focused on SPs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: "Add Orioles to teams that have pursued Justin Upton"

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:08 pm

NO....THANK....YOU.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by A_K » January 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hard to imagine a deal for Upton that wouldn't include Bundy, but if it's possible I'd be very very happy about it.

Justin Upton is awesome.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:29 pm

I would have to think Arrieta, Matusz and Schoop gets this done. My only hesitation here is Matusz, who looks like he's going to be a lights out setup guy moving forward. Arrieta needs a change of scenery and who knows what Schoop will really develop into and how much of a loss he would be with Flaherty waiting in the wings. Adding Justin Upton to this lineup would be nothing short of sensational 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:35 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would have to think Arrieta, Matusz and Schoop gets this done.

I would have to think that the Diamondbacks disagree.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:35 pm

ofahn wrote:
I would have to think that Diamondbacks disagree.

Let's hope they agree :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:38 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Let's hope they agree :D

Let's hope they don't.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:45 pm

They just might. :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 2:57 pm

A_K wrote:Hard to imagine a deal for Upton that wouldn't include Bundy, but if it's possible I'd be very very happy about it.

Justin Upton is awesome.

I'm a big Upton fan, too.

What do you make of his inconsistency over the past 4 years?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:What do you make of his inconsistency over the past 4 years?

Saying he lacks focus is the simplistic answer. I really think he has yet to have the right clubhouse influence/leadership situation.

What concerns me about trading for him is that he would be a HUGE investment without the certainty of an adequate return. We just don't have the surplus talent to take that risk right now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by A_K » January 8th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm a big Upton fan, too.

What do you make of his inconsistency over the past 4 years?

I don't make too much of it. My guess is his true value is somewhere between his performance two years ago and last year, and that the smart money is on him being a good deal less volatile and more in line with that middle area on a year-to-year basis moving forward.

I'd be happy to hear scouts who've watched him over the years offer their explanation, but short of that I'd presume it's just a random fluctuation that's unlikely to continue.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #12 by osforlife » January 8th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I've pondered about a Orioles/Diamondbacks trade scenario but have been hesitant to post it. At first, it'd seem like we'd never give up Machado, but frankly, we has proved little in the majors and who knows if he'll actually produce. I feel like the Orioles wouldn't make this deal, but I couldn't get it out of my head.
Manny Machado for Justin Upton, Chris Johnson, and Chris Owings.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2013, 12:34 pm

osforlife wrote:I've pondered about a Orioles/Diamondbacks trade scenario but have been hesitant to post it. At first, it'd seem like we'd never give up Machado, but frankly, we has proved little in the majors and who knows if he'll actually produce. I feel like the Orioles wouldn't make this deal, but I couldn't get it out of my head.
Manny Machado for Justin Upton, Chris Johnson, and Chris Owings.

I would never make that deal!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » January 9th, 2013, 6:55 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would never make that deal!! 8-)

I am personally torn up about this deal. I've been looking at it from two sides. From the Orioles side, I could see Dan Duquette giving no intention to trade one of the youngest, most valualable commodities in the game. From the Diamondbacks side, I could see Kevin Towers thinking he would be giving up too much for a player who is still relatively unproven. First of, I'd like to say I would think DD would hang up first, considering Manny Machado, at this point, although I don't agree with this, will be our third basemen for the next two years, and our shortstop for the four after that. That being said, we'd be getting one of the best right fielders of the game for the next three years, a quality third basemen for the next four years, at least until a better option presents itself, and a solid SS prospect to put at AA and possibly take over JJ Hardy's spot in two years. Would we get the same value/WAR out of Machado or the three players we'd be getting?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » January 10th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Justin Upton Rejects Trade To Mariners
By Mark Polishuk [January 10, 2013 at 6:06pm CST]
Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton invoked his limited no-trade clause to reject an agreed-upon deal between the D'Backs and Mariners that would have sent Upton to Seattle, reports Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The M's were prepared to give up "a package of young talent" in the trade, a return that Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic has heard was "substantial" (Twitter link).

Though several teams have been linked to Upton over the last two seasons, the Mariners seem to be the first to propose a deal that has gotten the D'Backs to agree to move the 25-year-old outfielder. As Rosenthal/Morosi note, the trade rejection could be gamesmanship by either Upton or the D'Backs --- Upton could be trying to control where he ends up, or the Snakes are sending the message that if Upton wants to leave Arizona, his only option is Seattle. Upton has four teams on his no-trade list, including the Mariners and Blue Jays.

The Braves and Rangers are still pursuing Upton, and we've heard in recent weeks that such teams as the Mets, Padres, and Orioles have also been in engaged with trade talks with the Diamondbacks.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/j ... iners.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles