Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #1 by A_K » January 8th, 2013, 12:26 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... s-2012-13/

1. Bundy
2. Gausman
3. Schoop
4. Rodriguez
5. Hoes
6. Delmonico
7. Kline
8. Avery
9. G. Davis
10. Wright
11. Marin
12. T. Berry
13. Davies
14. Bridwell
15. S. Johnson
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Seems like Bridwell is kinda low; Ditto for Delmonico 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 12:59 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Seems like Bridwell is kinda low; Ditto for Delmonico 8-)

That is a fair ranking for Delmonico. He has a great bat, but is probably limited to first base and likely won't develop enough power to play there.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #4 by A_K » January 8th, 2013, 1:03 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Seems like Bridwell is kinda low; Ditto for Delmonico 8-)


If you click through, the writer says that Bridwell is one of his favorite arms in the Orioles system, but is ranked low because he has such a large range of outcomes.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:That is a fair ranking for Delmonico. He has a great bat, but is probably limited to first base and likely won't develop enough power to play there.

That's early speculation really. My theory is those with a "great bat" can play anywhere 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:36 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:That's early speculation really. My theory is those with a "great bat" can play anywhere 8-)


Where does that fit into the WINNING concept of pitching and defense?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Where does Billy Butler fit in?? Would you like him in your lineup??? Moral of the story: you find a spot for a good/great bat?? Few if any team has the perfect offensive/defensive mix 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 2:54 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:That's early speculation really. My theory is those with a "great bat" can play anywhere 8-)

He can "play" anywhere, but his lack of a true position limits his value which is why I understand the lower ranking.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #9 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 2:57 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:My theory is those with a "great bat" can play anywhere


birdwatcher55 wrote:Where does Billy Butler fit in?? Would you like him in your lineup??? ... Few if any team has the perfect offensive/defensive mix


You do understand that your first statement and your example contradict each other, don't you?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Where is the contradiction??? A great bat fits in anywhere (LF, 1B, RF) Take you pick. You make no sense with your condesending attitude 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2013, 3:57 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Where is the contradiction??? A great bat fits in anywhere (LF, 1B, RF) Take you pick. You make no sense with your condesending attitude 8-)

If he plays bad defense, the strength of his bat becomes much less important. If a prospect has no true defensive position their value decreases.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Like Big Pappi?? He can't field his glove but knocks down $16 mil per and puts up nice numbers every year. Don't think he has any value?? My point is: let's see where Delmonico settles in as a prospect; he could develop into a very good power hitter and if that is the case I'm sure the Orioles will find a place for him to play whether it's DH or 1B, LF or RF - three positions where you can put up with an occasional gaffe here or there. Like I told your buddy earlier: life is not perfect and few, if any teams, have the perfect offensive and defensive mix in their lineups 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #13 by A_K » January 8th, 2013, 4:14 pm

No one is suggesting the Orioles cut Delmonico because he's a hopeless prospect with no value whatsoever. All people are saying is that based on projections-- which are often wrong!-- it doesn't appear that he'll be a good enough offensive player to compensate for his lack of a defensive position. That's all.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2013, 3:46 pm

A_K wrote:No one is suggesting the Orioles cut Delmonico because he's a hopeless prospect with no value whatsoever. All people are saying is that based on projections-- which are often wrong!-- it doesn't appear that he'll be a good enough offensive player to compensate for his lack of a defensive position. That's all.

You need to give this guy time to develop his full game. If you ever played baseball or coached it, you will understand that young kids are pre-occupied with offense first and defense is something they usually don't work on initially. A lot of players get better by devoting more time with the glove and/or switching positions. Still got doubts?? Look no further than Mark Reynolds. He was atrocious at third base but put him on first and he was Gold Glove in the minds of a lot of people on this and other boards 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Fangraphs: Orioles Top 15 Prospects

PostPost #15 by A_K » January 9th, 2013, 4:01 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You need to give this guy time to develop his full game. If you ever played baseball or coached it, you will understand that young kids are pre-occupied with offense first and defense is something they usually don't work on initially. A lot of players get better by devoting more time with the glove and/or switching positions. Still got doubts?? Look no further than Mark Reynolds. He was atrocious at third base but put him on first and he was Gold Glove in the minds of a lot of people on this and other boards 8-)


You're free to be as optimistic as you'd like to be about Delmonico or any other prospect.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron