Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Olney: Top 10 bullpens in the majors (Orioles #4)

Olney: Top 10 bullpens in the majors (Orioles #4)

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 6th, 2013, 11:50 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/n ... seball-mlb

4. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles had a makeshift rotation all season, because of injuries and performance, yet the Baltimore bullpen held up despite an extraordinary workload. No team that made the playoffs needed more bullpen innings than the Orioles, yet the Baltimore relievers finished fifth in ERA at 3.00, a tribute to the way Buck Showalter and his coaches use all parts of their pitching staff. Closer Jim Johnson had a major-league-best 51 saves, with just 15 walks in 68 2/3 innings, and got a whole lot of help from Pedro Strop, Darren O'Day and Luis Ayala.

One of the interesting decisions the Orioles will face in spring training will be what to do with left-hander Brian Matusz, who has generally struggled as a starter -- but had moments of total dominance out of the bullpen down the stretch. It might be that Matusz is a modern version of Arthur Rhodes and is just more comfortable pitching out of the bullpen; he told me during the playoffs that he really loved throwing in relief.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Olney: Top 10 bullpens in the majors (Orioles #4)

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 7th, 2013, 12:04 am

IMO we might actually have a better bullpen this season.

First, we should get more innings from our SPs so the bullpen workload might go down. Second, I believe Tommy Hunter will become a dominant short man who can go two innings if necessary. Third, we will have some quality relief pieces waiting at AAA in case they're needed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 7th, 2013, 12:37 am

ofahn wrote:First, we should get more innings from our SPs so the bullpen workload might go down. Second, I believe Tommy Hunter will become a dominant short man who can go two innings if necessary. Third, we will have some quality relief pieces waiting at AAA in case they're needed.

If Johnson is ever dealt I could see Hunter stepping in as closer.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ofahn » January 7th, 2013, 8:48 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:If Johnson is ever dealt I could see Hunter stepping in as closer.

I was thinking the same thing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » January 7th, 2013, 12:56 pm

I find Olney's rankings a bit perplexing. Sure Atlanta has a great closer and ditto with Tampa but from top to bottom, we appear to have more depth. I feel few, anyone, can touch us from 3-7. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 7th, 2013, 5:31 pm

1. Jim Johnson is the closer
2. Darren O'Day is the set-up man
3. Hunter can match up in the 7th
4. Patton can match up in the 7th.
5. Ayala pitches in middle relief
6. Strop pitches in middle relief, at least until he shows the Pedro Strop of the first half
7. We NEED a long man- Steve Johnson, TJ McFarland, etc.
That's a very good bullpen
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by A_K » January 7th, 2013, 5:48 pm

If the O's ended up with one of the five worst bullpens in the league this year I wouldn't be the least bit shocked.

If they once again had the best or second best bullpen in the league, I also wouldn't be the least bit shocked.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » January 7th, 2013, 7:44 pm

osforlife wrote:1. Jim Johnson is the closer
2. Darren O'Day is the set-up man
3. Hunter can match up in the 7th
4. Patton can match up in the 7th.
5. Ayala pitches in middle relief
6. Strop pitches in middle relief, at least until he shows the Pedro Strop of the first half
7. We NEED a long man- Steve Johnson, TJ McFarland, etc.
That's a very good bullpen
i would slide Matusz into that 3 hole and I would stack our top three against anyone 8-) 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » January 8th, 2013, 6:58 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO we might actually have a better bullpen this season.

First, we should get more innings from our SPs so the bullpen workload might go down. Second, I believe Tommy Hunter will become a dominant short man who can go two innings if necessary. Third, we will have some quality relief pieces waiting at AAA in case they're needed.

I totally agree. Plus add the fact we won't be carrying a guy we can hardly pitch (Gregg)....I see Ayala and the 7th man doing a great job of not having to use the top 5 relievers so much in situations where they have no buisness having to pitch. Strop and O'Day pitched too many times in slop situations. It may have hurt Strop. He put in alot of innings going into late June and July.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 8th, 2013, 7:03 pm

LA Detective wrote:I see Ayala and the 7th man doing a great job of not having to use the top 5 relievers so much in situations where they have no buisness having to pitch. Strop and O'Day pitched too many times in slop situations. It may have hurt Strop. He put in alot of innings going into late June and July.

If our SPs combine better conditioning with learning about pitch efficiency and we can get an average of just two more outs from them per start this year it will dramatically change the complexion of our BP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » January 8th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Another reason to add is that I believe our offense will be better as a whole. Combined with better from the SPs, I think we will be involved in less low scoring games or even games that end up in extra innings.

The bullpen didnt just get lucky last year. They have some very good arms and different looks. Johnson may not have the chances to save 51 and some of the other lopsided stats might not be repeated but for all the reasons mentioned we will be better.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2013, 12:31 pm

There was nothing lucky about the Orioles' bullpen last year. There is some definite talent in that group and they were masterfully managed by Buck. It would not be a bad idea to add more depth to that situation going forward in the event of injury or dropoffs 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by A_K » January 9th, 2013, 3:14 pm

This:

birdwatcher55 wrote:There was nothing lucky about the Orioles' bullpen last year.

Contradicts this:

birdwatcher55 wrote:It would not be a bad idea to add more depth to that situation going forward in the event of injury or dropoffs 8-)
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » January 14th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:If Johnson is ever dealt I could see Hunter stepping in as closer.

That is not an option I would consider. Thrusting Hunter into the closer's role could be suicidal because he simply has ZERO experience as a closer. I would consider it only after a year of heavy duty setup and he would have to be very effective at it. Better bet: don't trade Johnson because 50 save guys just don't grow on trees as some believe on this board 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by A_K » January 14th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Ahhh, remember those heady days of 2010 when there was widespread agreement that Jim Johnson, dominant as he was as a set-up man, just didn't have the intestinal fortitude to make it as a closer?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles