Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Interested In Lance Berkman?

Orioles Interested In Lance Berkman?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 10:31 am

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 4 at 9:01am CST]

Lance Berkman said he’s “still a little bit in limbo” as he considers his options for 2013, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. The switch hitting first baseman/designated hitter received two offers before Christmas and hopes to resume discussions with interested teams.

The Rangers have reached out, and the Rays and Red Sox are also interested. Goold adds a third AL East team to the list of Berkman’s suitors: the Baltimore Orioles. It's clear that Berkman has opportunities, but he suggested he’d have to be well-compensated to return for another season.

“If I’m going to play, I’m going to give my heart and soul to the team,” he told the Post-Dispatch. “But if the carrot’s not big enough, the mule isn’t going to want to go.”

Berkman, a Texas native, added that the Rangers have a geographic advantage. His first MLB team, the Astros, could also have interest. But now that the Astros have added Carlos Pena, Houston’s not an ideal fit.

Berkman missed most of the 2012 season because of knee injuries. When healthy he hit .259/.381/.444 in 97 plate appearances for the Cardinals. Moye Sports Associates represents the 14-year MLB veteran, who turns 37 next month.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/o ... rkman.html

I see the possibility that the Orioles are interested in Berkman more as someone looking for a story to write than as reality. IF Berkman is healthy he could be a serious contributor, but that's not certain and Buck has said that he wants to rotate position players through the DH spot. Is anyone really generous enough to label Berkman as a position player anymore?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Interested In Lance Berkman?

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I think Berkman can play at little 1B and LF if necessary and certainly DH would be right up his alley. I would like this move a lot 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 2:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think Berkman can play at little 1B and LF if necessary

At a below average level. I would rather have a less productive bat with a better glove.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Noticed I used the word "little" in describing his field play. No one is questioning his bat. It would be a good signing 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 2:46 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:It would be a good signing

IF Buck was willing to accept a non position player as a DH. He has SAID he won't, and I can understand why with a four player bench. Wishing and hoping doesn't translate into reality.

Then there's the question of Berkman's health.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:50 pm

ofahn wrote:
IF Buck was willing to accept a non position player as a DH. He has SAID he won't, and I can understand why with a four player bench. Wishing and hoping doesn't translate into reality.

Then there's the question of Berkman's health.

We found room for Thome; why not Berkman???? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 3:01 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:We found room for Thome; why not Berkman?

That's a valid question and I'm glad you raised it.

I saw Thome as a sign from the FO to both the team and the fans that management was serious about winning last year. Thome was an experienced bat but an even better clubhouse influence. We overpaid for his anticipated on field performance to get someone to show Jones, Wieters, etc how to be a leader in a pennant race. He served his purpose and the team didn't make any effort to bring him back.

IF I thought that Berkman was healthy I would be happy to have him. He's an experienced run producer and a switch hitter. Of course, if we signed him we would have to move Betemit's contract. You can't have two DHs on the same team, especially if they're not platooning, and we couldn't afford two non fielders on the same four man bench.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » January 4th, 2013, 3:32 pm

This statement from Berkman should count the Orioles out:

“If I’m going to play, I’m going to give my heart and soul to the team,” he told the Post-Dispatch. “But if the carrot’s not big enough, the mule isn’t going to want to go.”
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #9 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:This statement from Berkman should count the Orioles out:

I read that on MLB Trade Rumors and I agree that he wants to get paid, but I don't know that his position necessarily eliminates us. IF Buck says he wants him I could see the team going into the six or seven million range. If he wants more than that then he really doesn't want to play this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » January 4th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Ugh. This better be just a rumor. We have a combined .300+ average at our DH position in Valencia and Betemit. Berkman doesn't back-up any position we don't already have. Teagarden backsup catcher, Reimold backs up the outfield, Casilla backsup the middle infield, Betemit backsup the corner infield when we are facing a lefty, Valencia backsup the corner infield when we are facing a righty. Sign Saunders and our off-season is done.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 5:28 pm

osforlife wrote:Betemit backsup the corner infield

IMO Betemit backs up from too many grounders hit at him....................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » January 4th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Lance Berkman???
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 5:45 pm

mikezpen wrote: Lance Berkman???

Should I take that as a note of confusion or displeasure?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » January 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

ofahn wrote:
IMO Betemit backs up from too many grounders hit at him....................

That would be the exact reason he would be a backup.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #15 by kwalker35 » January 5th, 2013, 10:35 am

LANCE BERKMAN !!!
If the mule needs a big carrot, he can hang with the out of LUCK colt , that will be part of the hay in the barn !
kwalker35
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles