Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Game 1: Orioles @ Rays - 4/1/2011

Re: Game 1: Orioles @ Rays - 4/1/2011

PostPost #91 by DougDE » April 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:OK now that we've added Vlad, Lee and Reynolds, and don't need Jones to provide power, can we please dump this kid? Overrated, potential cancer for the club.

Vlad and Lee only here for one year, shouldnt affect decisions on players under control for multiple years
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #92 by Oriolefan88 » April 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm

TheBuckStopsHere wrote:Anyone else notice the base coaches sporting the cartoon bird?

Saw that. Makes me feel less cooky for wearing my jacket with the cartoon bird lol
Oriolefan88
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #93 by DougDE » April 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm

I love the cartoon bird, I wish that was what they wore for alternate on Fri nights
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #94 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 1st, 2011, 7:36 pm

DougDE wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:OK now that we've added Vlad, Lee and Reynolds, and don't need Jones to provide power, can we please dump this kid? Overrated, potential cancer for the club.

Vlad and Lee only here for one year, shouldnt affect decisions on players under control for multiple years

Still, I do agree with Shorebirdfan.

I don't think Jonesy is ever going to develop the patience necessary to become a star. I'd love to see Xavier Avery breakout this season and put himself in a position to take over for Jones in a year or two.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #95 by ShowalterPower » April 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Great way to end the inning. Nice to see a few of our additions making plays and/or coming up big so far.
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

PostPost #96 by DougDE » April 1st, 2011, 7:39 pm

Jordan wrote:I don't think Jonesy is ever going to develop the patience necessary to become a star. I'd love to see Xavier Avery breakout this season and put himself in a position to take over for Jones in a year or

Yeah I wasnt necessarily disagreeing with that part. I actually think Jones pretty much is what he is. Might be able to get those HR's into low 20's but the OBP will never be great. But you cant ship him out because of 1 year deals for a DH and 1B. Need a better CF'r then he is
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #97 by Oriolefan88 » April 1st, 2011, 7:39 pm

Jones doesn't seem like he has learned to not swing at bad pitches. Countless times last season and at least twice tonight I have seen him swing at pitches way out of the zone.His CF skills are good but not irreplacable
Oriolefan88
DSL Orioles

PostPost #98 by Oriolefan88 » April 1st, 2011, 7:40 pm

Now this is a nice tidbit.

The O's new lineup has also already scored more runs off Price than they did all of last year. Price allowed one ER in 15 IP in 2010
Oriolefan88
DSL Orioles

PostPost #99 by Shorebirdfan » April 1st, 2011, 7:41 pm

Jordan wrote:
DougDE wrote:

Still, I do agree with Shorebirdfan.

I don't think Jonesy is ever going to develop the patience necessary to become a star. I'd love to see Xavier Avery breakout this season and put himself in a position to take over for Jones in a year or two.

Thanks, I think that he is marketable and could bring value in a trade. I also think that you lose almost nothing with a platoon in CF of Pie and Angle. These guys also give you an option at the top of the lineup as both can lead off. You obviously lose all power potential in Angle, but with the big bats in the line up, I can live with that
I
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #100 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 1st, 2011, 7:42 pm

DougDE wrote:
Jordan wrote:I don't think Jonesy is ever going to develop the patience necessary to become a star. I'd love to see Xavier Avery breakout this season and put himself in a position to take over for Jones in a year or

Yeah I wasnt necessarily disagreeing with that part. I actually think Jones pretty much is what he is. Might be able to get those HR's into low 20's but the OBP will never be great. But you cant ship him out because of 1 year deals for a DH and 1B. Need a better CF'r then he is

Nice way to sum it up. Especially because his defense isn't as good as advertised (didn't deserve the GG). He's definitely overrated amongst O's fans.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #101 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 1st, 2011, 7:44 pm

Oriolefan88 wrote:Jones doesn't seem like he has learned to not swing at bad pitches. Countless times last season and at least twice tonight I have seen him swing at pitches way out of the zone.His CF skills are good but not irreplacable

Yeah, exactly. More specifically he's always had trouble hitting breaking stuff out and away. Seems to always strike out swinging on an outside slider.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #102 by DougDE » April 1st, 2011, 7:44 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think that he is marketable and could bring value in a trade.

I do get the feeling the national perspective is that he's better then he is. Could bring a nice haul
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #103 by BuckMagic » April 1st, 2011, 7:46 pm

Oriolefan88 wrote:Now this is a nice tidbit.

The O's new lineup has also already scored more runs off Price than they did all of last year. Price allowed one ER in 15 IP in 2010

Small sample size but offense already showing signs of improvement. Very nice! :D
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #104 by DougDE » April 1st, 2011, 7:48 pm

Heck of a nice throw from Hardy. Glad to see the arm
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #105 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 1st, 2011, 7:49 pm

DougDE wrote:Heck of a nice throw from Hardy. Glad to see the arm

Above-average defender for sure.

Not sure this game could be going any better than it is now.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads