Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #1 by mikezpen » December 31st, 2012, 11:38 pm

Bernard Pearce has shown a lot of potential in recent weeks. But I think he's more valuable to the Ravens in a trade than he is as Ray Rice's backup. The Ravens need to make some major improvements and having another draft pick would help.

What do you think they could they get from a team that needs a running back? And should they make that move?
mikezpen
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 256
Joined: June 2012
Reputation Score: 11

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » January 1st, 2013, 4:19 pm

He's not going anywhere. He's cheap and he's a good backup. Maybe in a few years if he continues to play well when he gets a chance they will trade him like how San Diego traded Turner some years back. But, that won't be for another 3 or 4 years.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » January 1st, 2013, 8:08 pm

Pearce has been the Ravens' best pick since Rice and right now I would NOT move him off the roster because (1) he's cheap and under club control; (2) provides important depth; (3) and gives us protection at RB in event Rice goes down or is banged up (hip) like he is presently 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #4 by DougDE » January 1st, 2013, 8:43 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Pearce has been the Ravens' best pick since Rice and right now I would NOT move him off the roster because (1) he's cheap and under club control; (2) provides important depth; (3) and gives us protection at RB in event Rice goes down or is banged up (hip) like he is presently 8-)

To this point I would still rank T. Smith a better pick but mostly because Pearce hasn't had as much time to prove himself. Regardless, if a rookie backup RB is in the running for best pick since '08 this team may have some issues in the upcoming seasons
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » January 2nd, 2013, 12:57 am

Yes he's cheap and under Club control for awhile. And he's great insurance in case Rice goes down.No argument there.

But is that more important than upgrading a defense that has been poor this year? It needs major improvement, particularly in the pass rush. Their entire line has only about 12 sacks. They Ravens need to make some moves, and they need the draft choices to do it.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 256
Joined: June 2012
Reputation Score: 11

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #6 by Matt P » January 2nd, 2013, 9:31 pm

mikezpen wrote:Yes he's cheap and under Club control for awhile. And he's great insurance in case Rice goes down.No argument there.

But is that more important than upgrading a defense that has been poor this year? It needs major improvement, particularly in the pass rush. Their entire line has only about 12 sacks. They Ravens need to make some moves, and they need the draft choices to do it.


It's a fine argument I just don't see it happening. NFL teams rarely make moves like that especially for running backs. I don't even think they would get much for him after just one season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 2nd, 2013, 11:55 pm

Matt P wrote:
It's a fine argument I just don't see it happening. NFL teams rarely make moves like that especially for running backs. I don't even think they would get much for him after just one season.

Yeah, trades in the NFL are strange. A team would never give up more than a 5-6th round pick for him, if that.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2013, 1:57 pm

mikezpen wrote:Yes he's cheap and under Club control for awhile. And he's great insurance in case Rice goes down.No argument there.

But is that more important than upgrading a defense that has been poor this year? It needs major improvement, particularly in the pass rush. Their entire line has only about 12 sacks. They Ravens need to make some moves, and they need the draft choices to do it.

I think we have more than 12 sacks as a team but your point is well taken. We need to re-sign Paul Kruger and added another stud pass rusher up front in the offseason, not to mention our needs at ILB. It's definitely going to be a Ravens' type of draft with heavy emphasis on defense 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2013, 2:52 pm

DougDE wrote:To this point I would still rank T. Smith a better pick but mostly because Pearce hasn't had as much time to prove himself. Regardless, if a rookie backup RB is in the running for best pick since '08 this team may have some issues in the upcoming seasons

I think our drafts since Rice/Flacco have been rather unspectacular of late, although Paul Kruger appears to have arrived. Bottom line: we need to put together a solid draft in 2013 with our variety of needs on the defensive side of the ball 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #10 by mikezpen » January 3rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/nam ... ore-ravens

Here are the defensive stats; look for yourselves. I see about 12 sacks on the line.That is pathetic.They also don't do that well against the rush, other than Ngata.The line needs help at tackle and end IMHO.Also need a another strong LB and w/probably need a safety if Ed Reed calls it quits.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 256
Joined: June 2012
Reputation Score: 11

Re: What could Ravens get for Bernard Pearce?

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Ngata has not had a good year and has been slowed by injury at times. That said, our defense - as presently constructed - is not geared for netting sacks along the front line. Our LBs are very active and we shoot our safeties a lot to help out. No question our needs are many on defense and in not any particular order: DE (two if Kruger is not re-signed), ILB (maybe two there as well depending on our cap situation); and of course safety because I suspect we cut bait with Ed Reed whether he retires or not... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11



Return to Baltimore Ravens

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron