Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Drafting 24th!!!

Re: Orioles Drafting 24th!!!

PostPost #16 by Matt P » October 27th, 2012, 12:54 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Wanted to add that even though we are drafting much later. We will have a choices each round and the lottery pick following round 1. It appears very unlikely we end up with any special talents like we have the past three years. We do have a pretty good shot at bolstering our minor league system with decent talent. Basically unless we trade away that lottery choice our scouting department will get a chance to shine.

IMO this is a good thing as once you get past Bundy and Gausmann the talent level plummets. Yes, I know Jonathan Schoop looks solid so far. However, it's still a huge drop off.

The team should be able to acquire a number of decent prospects that make that silly top ten look a little more presentable.

Mike Trout was drafted 25th overall in 2009 and he's the best player in baseball. It's all about scouting.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by ofahn » October 27th, 2012, 8:38 am

Matt P wrote:
Mike Trout was drafted 25th overall in 2009 and he's the best player in baseball. It's all about scouting.

I agree with Matt. We may not have the luxury of picking low hanging fruit but there is certainly talent at that spot waiting for us.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » November 3rd, 2012, 8:29 am

I would like for us to go all in on hitting. As someone noted earlier, this organization desparately needs offense 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by thezeroes » November 3rd, 2012, 10:26 am

The 12 teams that draft before us and do not have their picks protected (only the Top Ten are protected) may sign a "Restricted Free Agent" that was offered a "Qualifying Offer" and hence lose that pick. That pick is removed from the draft order and all teams below these teams would move up. So you have to ask the following question:
Do you believe any of the following teams would sign a Restricted Free Agent??
Angels
Tigers
Cardinals
Dodgers
White Sox
Brewers
Phillies
Diamondbacks
Pirates
Padres
Mariners
Mets

From that group I could see 6 or 7 of those teams signing one of those type of free agents and moving the Orioles up to the 17/18 position in the draft.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #20 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 11:46 am

thezeroes wrote:The 12 teams that draft before us and do not have their picks protected (only the Top Ten are protected) may sign a "Restricted Free Agent" that was offered a "Qualifying Offer" and hence lose that pick. That pick is removed from the draft order and all teams below these teams would move up. So you have to ask the following question:
Angels
Tigers
Cardinals
Dodgers
White Sox
Brewers
Phillies
Diamondbacks
Pirates
Padres
Mariners
Mets

From that group I could see 6 or 7 of those teams signing one of those type of free agents and moving the Orioles up to the 17/18 position in the draft.

I had forgotten how a qualifying offer affect the draft order. POINTS! For reminding all of us.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2012, 3:57 pm

thezeroes wrote:The 12 teams that draft before us and do not have their picks protected (only the Top Ten are protected) may sign a "Restricted Free Agent" that was offered a "Qualifying Offer" and hence lose that pick. That pick is removed from the draft order and all teams below these teams would move up. So you have to ask the following question:
Angels
Tigers
Cardinals
Dodgers
White Sox
Brewers
Phillies
Diamondbacks
Pirates
Padres
Mariners
Mets

That seems like a solid assumption to me 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #22 by Old Sneakers » December 13th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Not worthy of a new thread but for reference: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2013/order.jsp Draft Order
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #23 by thezeroes » January 4th, 2013, 9:24 am

There is another caveat in the signing of Free Agents that have had a "Qualifying Offer" and refused to become what used to be an "A" level Free Agent. When you lose your Draft Pick" you also lose the allotted "Cap Money" for that pick hence you can not under sign a high pick and use the saved money for later rounds. I do not know if you move up that you get more allotment or not but you would think that you would.
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vie ... ticle=7674
http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... kyle-lohse

Just to add to the above, California has been removed from the "First Round" and we will pick Twenty-Third. Atlanta has also been removed but they drafted behind the Orioles.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

PostPost #24 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 10:11 am

thezeroes wrote:There is another caveat in the signing of Free Agents that have had a "Qualifying Offer" and refused to become what used to be an "A" level Free Agent. When you lose your Draft Pick" you also lose the allotted "Cap Money" for that pick hence you can not under sign a high pick and use the saved money for later rounds. I do not know if you move up that you get more allotment or not but you would think that you would.
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vie ... ticle=7674
http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... kyle-lohse

Just to add to the above, California has been removed from the "First Round" and we will pick Twenty-Third. Atlanta has also been removed but they drafted behind the Orioles.

I had forgotten about that. The new CBA will take some time to get used to. Somehow, I don't see a one spot improvement in our draft position as making that much of a difference.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by thezeroes » January 4th, 2013, 11:41 am

It is about $50,000 more to spend overall and as you say insignificant. The other side is the signing of these "A" type free agents which would take the total amount of the number one (23rd) off the board for the remaining 9 (10 because of the added pick for Competitive Balance) rounds which is 1.755 million. That is why signing a Bourn, Lohse, Soriano or LaRoche is not in the Orioles best interest. You lose the pick plus the cap for the first ten rounds is lessened by the signing of any of the "A" free agents by the draft pick you give up.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

PostPost #26 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 11:47 am

thezeroes wrote:It is about $50,000 more to spend overall and as you say insignificant. The other side is the signing of these "A" type free agents which would take the total amount of the number one (23rd) off the board for the remaining 9 (10 because of the added pick for Competitive Balance) rounds which is 1.755 million. That is why signing a Bourn, Lohse, Soriano or LaRoche is not in the Orioles best interest. You lose the pick plus the cap for the first ten rounds is lessened by the signing of any of the "A" free agents by the draft pick you give up.

As soon as I read the draft portion of the new CBA I thought that qualifying offers/draft picks were going to be a problem for BOTH sides. There HAS to be a better way of compensating the losing team at the expense of the gaining team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by thezeroes » January 4th, 2013, 12:32 pm

The competive balance goal without a true system of a salary cap will always be something that gets harder and harder to accomplish. I will state that I am not for a Cap without a Floor.
The way that both LA teams have spent this year and along with what the Yankees, Red Soxs and Mets spent in years past lends itself to not having a level playing fiels for all. The trading that went on for overpriced players by Boston, New York and Miami also is a problem going forward.
Is the system broke or in need of a tweak here and there?? With Bud Selig in charge and allowing some of those moves that have recently been made (Miami, Boston) recently there is no easy fix. IMO
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Previous

Return to MLB Draft