Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How much would Giancarlo Staton cost, really?

How much would Giancarlo Staton cost, really?

PostPost #1 by Dr_Byron_Orpheus » December 30th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Earlier today, MLBTradeRumors posted that "Marlins Will Listen On Giancarlo Stanton" and that had me thinking about what it would take to realistically get the slugger.

We've seen the Marlins trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio for prospects (Adeiny Hechavarria, Justin Nicolino, Jake Marisnick and Anthony DeSclafani; and veterans Yunel Escobar, Henderson Alvarez and Jeff Mathis).

We've also seen the Mets trade R.A. Dickey in a package for some prospects (Travis d'Arnaud and Noah Syndergaard) and parts (John Buck); which I include as a comparison, somewhat, value wise with Stanton (while I recognize Stanton is an everyday position player, Dickey has shown a penchant to be an ace and that is overvalued by many).

That's a lot of players going in different directions in the Marlins/Blue Jays trade, not all of whom are great (Buck and Bonifacio) and the rest show some promise.

So, I ask you, hyperbole aside, what will it take for the Orioles to get Giancarlo Stanton?

Obviously, Bundy, Gausman and Schoop are off limits (as well they should be) but some lower B and higher C grade prospects should be enough to get this thing done. Something like Hoes, Wright and Steve Johnson seems like a good start. Perhaps subbing Nick Delmonico for Wright?

Thoughts? After all, it seems like someone is getting Stanton and I think it needs to be the Orioles.
Dr_Byron_Orpheus
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: How much would Giancarlo Staton cost, really?

PostPost #2 by Baltimore2110 » December 30th, 2012, 1:26 pm

It would take bundy or machado
Baltimore2110
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by Baltimore2110 » December 30th, 2012, 1:26 pm

It would take bundy or machado
Baltimore2110
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 30th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Dr_Byron_Orpheus wrote:some lower B and higher C grade prospects should be enough to get this thing done. Something like Hoes, Wright and Steve Johnson seems like a good start. Perhaps subbing Nick Delmonico for Wright?

Um, sorry. That's not even CLOSE to what it would take.

Since Machado is from southern FL I could see the Marlins STARTING with him and maybe Chris Davis or Matt Wieters. THEN they would start picking from the list that includes Hoes, Wright, Steve Johnson, and Nick Delmonico. We would be lucky if they would settle for just ONE of those guys. He and Mike Trout may be the most valuable trade chips in baseball and the Marlins will be looking for a suitable return.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by JoseB » December 30th, 2012, 2:59 pm

It would take at least Bundy, Schoop and then some... Stanton is only 23 and hit 37 homeruns in 123 games last season. He's nowhere near his prime.. He made 480k last year and is under team control through 2016.
JoseB
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by A_K » December 30th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Like others have said, any deal would BEGIN with both Bundy and Schoop. From there I'd say it's entirely possible that the Orioles don't even have enough in their system to flesh out the rest of a deal. I'd guess it'd have to be something like Bundy, Schoop, Hoes, Delmonico and Rodriguez, and I could easily imagine that not being enough to get it done.

Outside of Harper and Trout, Stanton is probably the most valuable commodity in baseball.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 30th, 2012, 3:34 pm

A_K wrote:Outside of Harper and Trout, Stanton is probably the most valuable commodity in baseball.

When I listed my top two I considered Harper, but I have him third and it was an easy choice. I would REALLY have a hard time picking between Trout and Stanton. Agree?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by A_K » December 30th, 2012, 3:46 pm

ofahn wrote:
When I listed my top two I considered Harper, but I have him third and it was an easy choice. I would REALLY have a hard time picking between Trout and Stanton. Agree?

Yeah I basically agree. Right now Trout is much more valuable, because he can contribute in so many different ways, but in the long run Stanton is a better bet, since his skills tend to age better than Trout's. Tough call, two great players.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 30th, 2012, 3:48 pm

A_K wrote:
Yeah I basically agree. Right now Trout is much more valuable, because he can contribute in so many different ways, but in the long run Stanton is a better bet, since his skills tend to age better than Trout's. Tough call, two great players.

Did you consider Trout's defense when you made your choice?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » December 30th, 2012, 3:52 pm

ofahn wrote:
Did you consider Trout's defense when you made your choice?

Yeah, that's what I meant when I say he can contribute in so many ways, and also what I meant when I said his skills don't age all that well. Super athletic center fielders eventually become serviceable corner outfielders, greatly reducing their overall value.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » December 30th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Would Tilman, Arrieta, Schoop and Avery or Hoes get it done or at least be a start? Maybe add Strop?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm

LA Detective wrote:Would Tilman, Arrieta, Schoop and Avery or Hoes get it done or at least be a start? Maybe add Strop?

I think there is no way it gets done without Bundy or Machado. If you're trading for elite talent, you must give up elite talent.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by Dr_Byron_Orpheus » December 30th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Bundy obviously makes sense as you can never have enough pitching, but they just got a shortstop and second baseman, ready to start the season in Adeiny Hechavarria and Donovan Solano respectively. Sure they could shift Machado to third but that seems like the least of their problems. They need pitching and an option in center.

Johnson, Reyes, Buehrle, Buck and Bonifacio wasn't enough to net a Bundy type but several second tier chips. Are we saying that Stanton is better than Johnson, Reyes, Buehrle, Buck and Bonifacio? In the past we've seen players, unhappy with their situation and vocal about it, get traded for prospects (and the Marlins farm isn't the most flush with top level talent but more so than the Orioles for sure). Sure, those players may not be as solid as Stanton but you never know.

Always remember the stupidity that was the Bedard trade. And, yeah, it seems like the Marlins are smarter than the Ms, but you never know. Regardless, it's a pipe dream. Just wanted to see the reaction and possible packages that made sense.
Dr_Byron_Orpheus
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » December 30th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Dr_Byron_Orpheus wrote:Are we saying that Stanton is better than Johnson, Reyes, Buehrle, Buck and Bonifacio?

Yes. It's not even close.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by dan72 » December 31st, 2012, 8:41 am

I agree that any premium player in a trade deal would require Bundy or Machado. The Orioles are smart to avoid such a deal.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles