Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Spring Training in Sarasota 2013

Spring Training in Sarasota 2013

PostPost #1 by BamaOsFan » December 27th, 2012, 8:53 am

So the wife surprised me with a trip to see the O's play February 23 through March 3.

Who has gone and what can you tell me about Ed Smith Stadium, Sarasota, best hotel, restaurants, bars ... etc? Is there a place to hang out with other O's fans in the area?

Having not been in that area I have no idea. But plan to have a good time in the Florida sun.

If you are down there and see a guy with an O's hat and a Alabama shirt ... holler. 8-)
BamaOsFan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Spring Training in Sarasota 2013

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 27th, 2012, 9:12 am

This was posted by Jordan on a Spring Training thread a few days ago.

There are tons of good restaurants in the area. If you have a car, drive down University Blvd and you can find tons of great and unique places to eat. There are also a bunch of museums that I've found interesting in the past.

I don't think there is a single bad seat in Ed Smith stadium. I've watched games from all over.

There is usually more than enough parking. You can also park at some of the shops nearby and just walk over.

Hope it helps.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 30th, 2012, 6:15 pm

BamaOsFan wrote:So the wife surprised me with a trip to see the O's play February 23 through March 3.

Who has gone and what can you tell me about Ed Smith Stadium, Sarasota, best hotel, restaurants, bars ... etc? Is there a place to hang out with other O's fans in the area?

Having not been in that area I have no idea. But plan to have a good time in the Florida sun.

If you are down there and see a guy with an O's hat and a Alabama shirt ... holler. 8-)

Anything specific you want to know about the stadium? It's gorgeous and in a great location. I don't believe there is a bad seat in the stadium.

As noted in the post above, there are plenty of restaurants and entertainment available in the area. All of the hotels are pretty nice if you are just there for ST.

If you have any specific questions about the area I can ask my grandfather who lives there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by BamaOsFan » January 2nd, 2013, 10:00 am

We plan to attend 5 games from Saturday 23 to March 3rd In Ed Smith and possibly check out Dunedin, Bradenton, Port Charlotte, Tampa Bay and maybe Ft. Myers. Would you opt for the Orioles 5 game packet and if so where would you choose to sit? What hotels have you used in the area? Is there a particular one that O's fans migrate to? Outside of baseball ... what other things would you recommend to do in the area?

Thanks!
BamaOsFan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by kwalker35 » January 2nd, 2013, 1:57 pm

I took a vacation in nearby Indian Rocks area last March 2012,which is about 1.5hrs ride north of Sarasota using I-75. From Clearwater,Medeira Beach, Tampa,and etc. on the FLorida Gulf coast, you can't go wrong ! The weather is fantastic,the water is beautiful ,and the girls are nice also. I saw the birds play Tampa Bay, and I arrived during the Rays batting practice session, and I was able to speak to Ray's manager Joe Maddon and P- Matt Moore. Before entering the park, try and find a parking space at some of the local business about a block or two before the park, because parking is about $ 15-$20 . The local businesses charge about $ 10. Upon entering the stadium, take some pictures because the entrance is nice and looks like a mini Camden Yards. Ticket prices are about $25 for the left or right field side just past the infield with a great view, sitting in former camden yards seats, which was cool. They have a picnic area beyond the left field fence which have pub bar type table and chairs and you could purchase tickets in that area, and you would receive a bucket of 5-6 beers included. The oriole bird is out and about able to take pictures with fans. The people of Sarasota seems to be nice and welcoming of Baltimorians. They also serve crabcakes and natty boh beer. The only thing that was a negative to me was the sun. At 1:00 pm start time ,that FLorida sun is brutal ! Overall, it was nice to finally see the birds in springtime. You will enjoy it.
kwalker35
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 2nd, 2013, 2:10 pm

kwalker35 wrote:I took a vacation in nearby Indian Rocks area last March 2012,which is about 1.5hrs ride north of Sarasota using I-75. From Clearwater,Medeira Beach, Tampa,and etc. on the FLorida Gulf coast, you can't go wrong ! The weather is fantastic,the water is beautiful ,and the girls are nice also. I saw the birds play Tampa Bay, and I arrived during the Rays batting practice session, and I was able to speak to Ray's manager Joe Maddon and P- Matt Moore. Before entering the park, try and find a parking space at some of the local business about a block or two before the park, because parking is about $ 15-$20 . The local businesses charge about $ 10. Upon entering the stadium, take some pictures because the entrance is nice and looks like a mini Camden Yards. Ticket prices are about $25 for the left or right field side just past the infield with a great view, sitting in former camden yards seats, which was cool. They have a picnic area beyond the left field fence which have pub bar type table and chairs and you could purchase tickets in that area, and you would receive a bucket of 5-6 beers included. The oriole bird is out and about able to take pictures with fans. The people of Sarasota seems to be nice and welcoming of Baltimorians. They also serve crabcakes and natty boh beer. The only thing that was a negative to me was the sun. At 1:00 pm start time ,that FLorida sun is brutal ! Overall, it was nice to finally see the birds in springtime. You will enjoy it.

This was a GREAT post and you were very kind to take the time and share your experiences. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » January 29th, 2013, 1:41 pm

kwalker35 wrote:I took a vacation in nearby Indian Rocks area last March 2012,which is about 1.5hrs ride north of Sarasota using I-75. From Clearwater,Medeira Beach, Tampa,and etc. on the FLorida Gulf coast, you can't go wrong ! The weather is fantastic,the water is beautiful ,and the girls are nice also. I saw the birds play Tampa Bay, and I arrived during the Rays batting practice session, and I was able to speak to Ray's manager Joe Maddon and P- Matt Moore. Before entering the park, try and find a parking space at some of the local business about a block or two before the park, because parking is about $ 15-$20 . The local businesses charge about $ 10. Upon entering the stadium, take some pictures because the entrance is nice and looks like a mini Camden Yards. Ticket prices are about $25 for the left or right field side just past the infield with a great view, sitting in former camden yards seats, which was cool. They have a picnic area beyond the left field fence which have pub bar type table and chairs and you could purchase tickets in that area, and you would receive a bucket of 5-6 beers included. The oriole bird is out and about able to take pictures with fans. The people of Sarasota seems to be nice and welcoming of Baltimorians. They also serve crabcakes and natty boh beer. The only thing that was a negative to me was the sun. At 1:00 pm start time ,that FLorida sun is brutal ! Overall, it was nice to finally see the birds in springtime. You will enjoy it.

Indian Rocks is very nice. Been there. Watch out for the allegators at night LOL 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles