Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Boston Red Sox

Re: Boston Red Sox

PostPost #46 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 10:16 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
That doesn't make sense to what you quoted.

Perhaps you should read the thread again and consider the subtext. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help you.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #47 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 11:00 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Porcello lost his spot last year and this year he's on the trading block. He's a dime a dozen pitcher and we have pitchers just like him in Arrieta, Tillman. Britton. Peralta is a butcher in the field.

You trade Johnson then you're giving up on the playoffs. He's a constant. Now someone else wants to move O'Day to the closer role. He's never closed and then who takes over his role from last season.

I'm not against trading Johnson but if I did I would certainly like someone different then those 2 guys.

I'am not so sure Porcello ever lost his spot. He made 31 starts. I seriously doubt trading away a relief pitcher will hamper our chances of making the playoffs. Especially when you consider you'd be improving in 2 or 3 other areas. Jim Johnson never spent any extensive time closing yet we deemed him our closer. Why not Darren O'Day? For most of the year, JJ was our closer, Strop was our set-up man, and O'Day was our 7th inning guy. Why can't Strop stay in the set-up role and O'day move the closer role? Hunter, Ayala, and Patton are also solid middle relievers/late inning guys.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #48 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 11:15 pm

osforlife wrote:Hunter, Ayala, and Patton are also solid middle relievers/late inning guys.

First, I don't see why a team has to have just ONE closer. Why not just the hot hand?

Second, Hunter and Matusz showed they were COMPLETELY different pitchers in a relief role. Both of them are capable of pitching two innings to close a game (you know, old school), and Strop covered quite capably when Johnson missed some time last year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #49 by dan72 » December 26th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Back to the Redox.... they gave a ton for Hanrahan. They must plan on winning. No need to go out and get a premier closer if you aren't going to be ahead in games. I just don't see the need. I still say that New York and Boston will battle it out for 4th place in the east. Their lineup and pitching won't compete with Toronto and Tampa.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #50 by Matt P » December 27th, 2012, 6:03 am

dan72 wrote:Back to the Redox.... they gave a ton for Hanrahan. They must plan on winning. No need to go out and get a premier closer if you aren't going to be ahead in games. I just don't see the need. I still say that New York and Boston will battle it out for 4th place in the east. Their lineup and pitching won't compete with Toronto and Tampa.

According to Keith Law they didn't give up anything. Only one of the 3 minor league players has a chance at being an MLB regular in his eyes.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #51 by birdwatcher55 » January 24th, 2013, 2:56 pm

dan72 wrote:Back to the Redox.... they gave a ton for Hanrahan. They must plan on winning. No need to go out and get a premier closer if you aren't going to be ahead in games. I just don't see the need. I still say that New York and Boston will battle it out for 4th place in the east. Their lineup and pitching won't compete with Toronto and Tampa.

From what I have read and decoded from SPorts Talk in the Boston area, the Red Sox really didn't give up much for Hanrahan. You would think they would have had to give up one of their top four or five prospects and they didn't even though the Pirates insisted on Inglasis early on. My opinion is the Red Sox will either be a boom or bust with all these offseason moves. I think the wild card (s) will be the relative health and effectiveness of their top pitchers - Buchholz and Lester - and right now I think they have a chance to be productive with John Farrell back. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #52 by osforlife » January 24th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I still believe the Redsox will finish in last and that they have wasted the money spent this off-season at least for 2013. I still believe they should have given Kalish, Lavarnway, Nava, Ciriaco, and Gomez a full season to play.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #53 by birdwatcher55 » January 27th, 2013, 9:03 am

osforlife wrote:I still believe the Redsox will finish in last and that they have wasted the money spent this off-season at least for 2013. I still believe they should have given Kalish, Lavarnway, Nava, Ciriaco, and Gomez a full season to play.

My belief is Cherrington is under pressure from ownership to make things happen. I think you will see Kalish, Ciriaco and Lavarnway get plenty of chances but to be honest with you I'm not as high as many are on Lavarnway. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles