Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Boston Red Sox

Re: Boston Red Sox

PostPost #31 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 7:05 pm

What is Ben Cherington doing? Are they really trading four prospects for one year out of a closer? He expects them to compete...silly. He should have gave Lavarnway, Ciriaco, Kalish, Nava, and Gomez 500 at-bats.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #32 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 7:08 pm

osforlife wrote:What is Ben Cherington doing? Are they really trading four prospects for one year out of a closer? He expects them to compete...silly. He should have gave Lavarnway, Ciriaco, Kalish, Nava, and Gomez 500 at-bats.

It sure does enhance Jim Johnson's value in a trade with Detroit.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #33 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 7:41 pm

ofahn wrote:
It sure does enhance Jim Johnson's value in a trade with Detroit.

This is at least 5 posts where you want to trade Jim Johnson, the fireman of the year. This baffles me and I would like to know who you replace him with (please don't say Pedro Strop).
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #34 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 7:55 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
This is at least 5 posts where you want to trade Jim Johnson, the fireman of the year. This baffles me and I would like to know who you replace him with (please don't say Pedro Strop).

Perhaps you might want to read those other posts where I explain, IN DETAIL, why I think that would be a good idea.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 8:38 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

Darren O'Day comes to mind. He was a better pitcher than Jim Johnson last year. I don't think any Orioles fan would like to see JJ go. What he did last year was special. But, trading JJ would either STACK our farm system or make the current team even better. All for a relief pitcher who can be replaced with a better pitcher.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 8:50 pm

You ain't going to stack your farm system with Johnny Peralta and Porcello which has been discussed on another thread. It doesn't matter, it's all useless banter because Jim Johnson isn't going anywhere.

I guess this is why we are posters and wannabe general managers.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #37 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 9:21 pm

The Tigers, who are all in for 2013, need a closer and have one of three choices:

1) rely on an unproven rookie (Rondon)
2) pay Soriano 4/60M and give up a draft pick
3) make a trade

Which option do you think"wannabe general manager" Dave Dombrowski is going to choose? If it's a trade, who would be the best closer that might still be available on the market?

We can afford to exchange Johnson for Porcello or Castellanos. We have plenty of bullpen choices and there's nothing written in stone that you have to have a closer. Just use the hot hand.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 9:55 pm

ofahn wrote:The Tigers, who are all in for 2013, need a closer and have one of three choices:

1) rely on an unproven rookie (Rondon)
2) pay Soriano 4/60M and give up a draft pick
3) make a trade

Which option do you think"wannabe general manager" Dave Dombrowski is going to choose? If it's a trade, who would be the best closer that might still be available on the market?

We can afford to exchange Johnson for Porcello or Castellanos. We have plenty of bullpen choices and there's nothing written in stone that you have to have a closer. Just use the hot hand.

Well as the "wannabe general manager" I won't trade Johnson for a "unproven prospect" and Porcello who is NO BETTER then what we have now.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #39 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 9:57 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:You ain't going to stack your farm system with Johnny Peralta and Porcello which has been discussed on another thread. It doesn't matter, it's all useless banter because Jim Johnson isn't going anywhere.

I guess this is why we are posters and wannabe general managers.

Adding Johnny Peralta and Rick Porcello would be the "make the current team better option". I posted two. Trading Jim Johnson either stacks our farm system or makes the current team better.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #40 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 10:02 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Well as the "wannabe general manager" I won't trade Johnson for a "unproven prospect" and Porcello who is NO BETTER then what we have now.

No, I suppose you wouldn't.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 10:03 pm

osforlife wrote:Adding Johnny Peralta and Rick Porcello would be the "make the current team better option". I posted two. Trading Jim Johnson either stacks our farm system or makes the current team better.

Unfortunately, not everyone understands the wisdom of that move. I'm glad you do. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm

Porcello lost his spot last year and this year he's on the trading block. He's a dime a dozen pitcher and we have pitchers just like him in Arrieta, Tillman. Britton. Peralta is a butcher in the field.

You trade Johnson then you're giving up on the playoffs. He's a constant. Now someone else wants to move O'Day to the closer role. He's never closed and then who takes over his role from last season.

I'm not against trading Johnson but if I did I would certainly like someone different then those 2 guys.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #43 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 10:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
Unfortunately, not everyone understands the wisdom of that move. I'm glad you do. POINTS!

If your wisdom is so good I wonder why Dan hasn't done it yet.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #44 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 10:11 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
If your wisdom is so good I wonder why Dan hasn't done it yet.

I suppose you would.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #45 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 10:15 pm

ofahn wrote:
I suppose you would.

That doesn't make sense to what you quoted.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles