Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Olney speculating Justin Smoak to Baltimore

Re: Olney speculating Justin Smoak to Baltimore

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » December 20th, 2012, 7:41 pm

..........and Duquette just stated that he's very happy with that signing of a 1st baseman to a minor league deal. Tell Buster to quit speculating.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » December 21st, 2012, 7:37 am

My sense is Hoes and Avery are nothing more than McLouth 2.0. I would be inclined to roll and dice here and deal one of them for the potential upside of a late developing player like Smoak 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 22nd, 2012, 2:13 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:My sense is Hoes and Avery are nothing more than McLouth 2.0. I would be inclined to roll and dice here and deal one of them for the potential upside of a late developing player like Smoak 8-)

If the Orioles brass really believe they can help Smoak turn it around then I would be fine with that.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #19 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 23rd, 2012, 8:06 pm

Looks like it's more than just speculation:

"According to a major league source, the Orioles are said to have some interest in Mariners first baseman Justin Smoak. Seattle can afford to part with Smoak after acquiring Kendrys Morales from the Angels. The O's also have been linked to Adam LaRoche, but they are hesitant to give up a draft pick to sign him."
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#4r2MqCBwZipwgMLY.99
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 8:44 pm

We have enough first basemen in the high minors/majors.
1. Townsend- Baysox 1B
2. Baker- Baysox DH
3. Ishikawa- Tides 1B
4. Waring- Tides DH
5. Davis- Orioles 1B
6. Jackson- Tides Utility
7. Flaherty- Tides Utility
8. Valencia/Betemit can play 1st base.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #21 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 8:53 pm

osforlife wrote:We have enough first basemen in the high minors/majors.
1. Townsend- Baysox 1B
2. Baker- Baysox DH
3. Ishikawa- Tides 1B
4. Waring- Tides DH
5. Davis- Orioles 1B

Man if Townsend can get over these hamstring issues because he can really hit. I used to watch him play high school ball in Southern Delaware. The kid has serious pop.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #22 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

1. Townsend- Baysox 1B
2. Baker- Baysox DH
3. Ishikawa- Tides 1B
4. Waring- Tides DH

There's not a legitimate ML regular in that group, and there may never be one.

osforlife wrote:6. Jackson- Tides Utility

Someone should quarantine Betemit's glove. Valencia is a 3B and the other two are utility players.

Davis the only legit ML regular 1B in the organization right now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #23 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 9:55 pm

ofahn wrote:
There's not a legitimate ML regular in that group, and there may never be one.

Someone should quarantine Betemit's glove. Valencia is a 3B and the other two are utility players.

Davis the only legit ML regular 1B in the organization right now.

How many teams have more than 1 legitimate ML regular 1B? We have no where to put Smoak. All of those players have played/can play first base. Davis is our back-up. ALL OF THOSE PLAYERS are depth. We don't need to sacrifice in one area to add onto a surplus.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 10:10 pm

osforlife wrote:How many teams have more than 1 legitimate ML regular 1B? We have no where to put Smoak. All of those players have played/can play first base. Davis is our back-up. ALL OF THOSE PLAYERS are depth. We don't need to sacrifice in one area to add onto a surplus.

I think you misunderstand my POV. I'm NOT advocating that we trade for Smoak, I was just evaluating what we have in the system at 1B. The ONLY way I would trade for Justin Smoak is IF 1) he had an option left; and 2) we didn't give up much. IMO we could use a POTENTIAL future 1B at AAA, and that's NOT Ishikawa.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Matt P » December 23rd, 2012, 11:28 pm

1. Townsend- Baysox 1B
2. Baker- Baysox DH
3. Ishikawa- Tides 1B
4. Waring- Tides DH
5. Davis- Orioles 1B

Justin Smoak is better than every person you named other than Davis.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #26 by osforlife » December 24th, 2012, 10:34 am

Matt P wrote:Justin Smoak is better than every person you named other than Davis.

I completely dissagree with that. Baker, Waring, and Townsend aren't really in this as they have never been to the majors.
I fail to see how Smoak is better than Ishikawa.
Valencia and Betemit are far superior with the bat considering they can hit LHP and RHP, respectively. When, Smoak can't hit any kind of pitcher.
Jackson and Flaherty could probably match Smoak's production all while playing a diverse number of positions.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » December 24th, 2012, 11:00 am

osforlife wrote:I completely dissagree with that. Baker, Waring, and Townsend aren't really in this as they have never been to the majors.
I fail to see how Smoak is better than Ishikawa.
Valencia and Betemit are far superior with the bat considering they can hit LHP and RHP, respectively. When, Smoak can't hit any kind of pitcher.
Jackson and Flaherty could probably match Smoak's production all while playing a diverse number of positions.

In all fairness to Smoak his OPS was almost 200 points higher away from that pitchers park in Seattle. Even so, he's still a project IMO.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by osforlife » December 24th, 2012, 11:04 am

ofahn wrote:
In all fairness to Smoak his OPS was almost 200 points higher away from that pitchers park in Seattle. Even so, he's still a project IMO.

His OPS was 100 points higher in Seattle in 2011. He has a long swing, he just can't hit. I have no intention of trading for him. WE have plenty of depth.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by LA Detective » December 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Someone asked the question," Does he have options left?" I think that is a key here. I might want him over Betemit because he can actually play a position above average and there is upside. He was a high draft choice and a top prospect at one time. Not saying Seatle would do that deal but it could be swung in other ways. Also, I think we are ae pretty good in depth that can contribute at the Major League level during 2013 EXCEPT 1b.

I have always liked Connor Jackson. I always thought he should play 1b and not moved around so much. HIgh OBA guy. Might be someone who spends half a year in the minors and suprises people. Wouldnt shock me if we saw his name in the line up for a short stretch sometime during the year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #30 by dan72 » December 26th, 2012, 9:00 pm

He is a misfit player. Huge flaws in his hitting. I don't think it's a good idea to bring on a project player. The Orioles need to distance themselves from guys like this, he reminds me of a younger Mark Reynolds type. Low average, decent on base due to walks, slightly above average glove. Sure he's probably cheap but who cares. He will never be a middle of the lineup corner infielder.
I'm in favor of adding good debth but he is not the answer. i'd rather see the Laroche move, at least there you know you have a major league bat.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles