Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tigers could pursue J.J. Hardy

Tigers could pursue J.J. Hardy

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 21st, 2012, 9:35 pm

This could answer two questions:
1. What it would take to get Rick Porcello: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1794
2. Why the O's removed Steve Pearce from the 40-man: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1797

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/mlb-r ... e-jj-hardy

The Tigers, looking to shop starter Rick Porcello, could target Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy in a trade, MLive.com reported Friday.

If the two sides do come to an agreement, the Tigers would likely send over Porcello (4.59 ERA, 2.4 K/BB in 176 1/3 innings last season) as well as shortstop Jhonny Peralta. The Tigers picked up Peralta's $6 million option for the 2013 season, after which he will become a free agent.

If Baltimore does acquire Peralta, they would likely shift him back to third base, where he played most of 2009 and 2010. Peralta hit .239/.305/.384 (85 OPS+) in 585 plate appearances with Detroit last season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Tigers could pursue J.J. Hardy

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 21st, 2012, 9:37 pm

I think this would be a really solid move for three reasons:

1. The O's would get Porcello.
2. The Orioles could slide Machado over to SS where he belongs.
3. Hardy and Peralta are pretty similar players and Peralta would not be a major downgrade if he is one at all.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 9:54 pm

For me that trade makes a whole more sense if we expanded it to include Jim Johnson and Nick Castellanos.

The Tigers are clearly going all in for 2013 which is why they would want Hardy instead of Peralta, a player they seem to have lost confidence in. Since they still lack an closer and have ABSOLUTELY NO intention of opening the season with an untested rookie in that role despite what they have said; Johnson would be another must have. I haven't forgotten that Rafael Soriano is still out there, but I think even Mike Ilitch would have reservations at his asking price and the loss of the draft pick to sign him.

If we trade Hardy we would need a 3B or a SS in 2014. Schoop may be ready to fill one of those roles, but he may also be needed to play 2B. Castellanos could be our 3B of the future leaving Schoop to play 2B.

I consider Peralta to be a throw in so the trade would essentially be Porcello and Castellanos for Hardy and JJ. The Tigers get their "now" and we get our future.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 21st, 2012, 9:56 pm

ofahn wrote:I consider Peralta to be a throw in so the trade would essentially be Porcello and Castellanos for Hardy and JJ. The Tigers get their "now" and we get our future.

Even without Castellanos and Johnson, I think you summed it up nicely. Rep points to you.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Matt P » December 22nd, 2012, 2:04 am

That would be a great trade for the Orioles.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 22nd, 2012, 2:20 am

Well said ofahn. I would LOVE it if they could get that done.

Seeing Hardy go would be bittersweet. I love having him on the team because he's an absolute stud defensive SS, is a likeable good character guy, and has great pop for a SS, but the smart thing to do would be to sell high. He's got a reasonable contract, he's coming off a gold glove season, he's coming off a down offensive year in which he still hit over 20 homeruns (not many SS's can say that). It's easy to forget that he's only played in over 150 games twice in his entire career. Also, important to note that Peralta would be going from pitcher friendly Comerica to hitter friendly OPACY, and Hardy vica versa.

I would love to see Johnson/Castellanos included in the deal but even without them I would still be fine with that move.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by osforlife » December 22nd, 2012, 12:19 pm

I was thinking about posting a thread about our third basemen of the future. At the moment, I guess it looks like Machado will be out third basemen for the next two years. Then, ideally, Machado moves back to SS, but then we have a hole at third. Who is our best third base prospect? Esposito? Good grief. We have organizational guys that can play third in Wheeler, Waring, Valencia, Britton, and Kelly. But I don't think any of them are going to make big impacts in the majors. Schoop should stay at second consdiering we don't have a solution there once B-Rob leaves. Trading for Castellanos/Gyorko would be nice. IMO, the Rangers aren't giving up Mike Olt considering Cruz and Murphy are set to hit free agency next year. They'll find somewhere for him to play. Castellanos is about 2 years away and Gyorko could probably play now. Not the best trade suggester but here you go:
1. Brian Matusz, Xavier Avery, and our compensation pick for Jedd Gyorko. This would basically make JJ Hardy expendable.
2. Jim Johnson and JJ Hardy for Rick Porcello, Nick Castellanos, and Jhonny Peralta.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2012, 12:27 pm

osforlife wrote:Brian Matusz, Xavier Avery, and our compensation pick for Jedd Gyorko.

I could see SD trading Headley before Gyorko who is cheap and controllable, and I think that the Padres would want more than that for Headley.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » December 22nd, 2012, 12:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could see SD trading Headley before Gyorko who is cheap and controllable, and I think that the Padres would want more than that for Headley.

Jake Arrieta, Brian Matusz, Xavier Avery, JJ Hardy, and our compensation pick should be enough to snag Headley...right?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 22nd, 2012, 12:29 pm

osforlife wrote:Schoop should stay at second consdiering we don't have a solution there once B-Rob leaves.

I think he may eventually outgrow the position. Hopefully he doesn't but if so he'd be a really solid defensive 3B.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2012, 12:50 pm

osforlife wrote:Jake Arrieta, Brian Matusz, Xavier Avery, JJ Hardy, and our compensation pick should be enough to snag Headley...right?

I would include Matusz and Arrieta, substitute Hoes for Avery and remove Hardy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » December 22nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:This could answer two questions:
1. What it would take to get Rick Porcello: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1794
2. Why the O's removed Steve Pearce from the 40-man: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1797

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/mlb-r ... e-jj-hardy

This deal would be absolutely horrible for us :shock:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 22nd, 2012, 9:59 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:This deal would be absolutely horrible for us :shock:

Why? Peralta has been better than Hardy offensively for the past two season and it allows Machado to play SS. Porcello is just a bonus.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 7:58 am

This story about JJ is just another hack having too much time on his hands. Read Roch's column today.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #15 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 24th, 2012, 1:29 am

Seafordeagles wrote:This story about JJ is just another hack having too much time on his hands. Read Roch's column today.

It was pure speculation, I don't know that he intended for people to take it as a concrete rumor.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles