Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How good will the Orioles' defense be?

How good will the Orioles' defense be?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm

With the rumors that the Orioles are interested in Rick Porcello, a number of people have mentioned that he'd be a good fit due to Baltimore's outstanding infield defense. How about the team as a whole though?

The Orioles will have plus defenders at the following positions: C, 2B (if it's Casilla), SS, and 3B.

I think it's fair to say that Markakis and Jones are at least above-average, and even some evaluators rate both as plus defenders.

McLouth is easily an above-average defender and if Nolan Reimold gets some playing time there he's probably average.

The defense should be outstanding next year and should really allow the young pitchers, specifically Zach Britton, to thrive. It should also bode well for their confidence.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: How good will the Orioles' defense be?

PostPost #2 by A_K » December 21st, 2012, 4:58 pm

I'd say Reimold and Davis are comfortably below league average, Markakis and Jones are pretty damn close to average, and McLouth (in left), Hardy, Machado, Wieters and Casilla are comfortably above average.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 5:02 pm

I still consider Markakis a plus defender and I believe that Jones can reach that level with some adjustments. I think that Davis can be above average if he puts the effort into and I'm confident he will.

Pitching and defense. The foundation of championship teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by dan72 » December 21st, 2012, 9:31 pm

It's ironic that most of us including my self feel that Jones and Markakis are plus defenders..... Bill James has them both rated as far below average.
I am sure we will be solid defensively. My concern is scoring enough runs.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » December 21st, 2012, 9:32 pm

A_K wrote:I'd say Reimold and Davis are comfortably below league average, Markakis and Jones are pretty damn close to average, and McLouth (in left), Hardy, Machado, Wieters and Casilla are comfortably above average.

I have always liked Reimold's arm...I think he takes some bone headed routes sometimes but otherwise I think he's at least average...
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » December 22nd, 2012, 2:11 pm

DO NOT TRADE JJ for an up and down pitcher. He's the key; the glue. With Manny at 3B, we have a total lockdown situation on the left side that we haven't seen since Brooks and Mark. Trading this scenario for and up and down pitcher like Porcello makes ZERO sense to me 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » December 22nd, 2012, 4:39 pm

We went 38-20 from Aug 1 on..I feel the biggest reason was we went from having huge holes to being one of the better Defensive teams. Coincidently the Pitching got better too. I know the Gold Glove award isnt the end all for rating a player defensively but you have to be pretty good. We have an opportunity to start next yer with 5 recent GG winners in the line up and a 6th that could be a candidate (Machado). At one time we had a top 5 in the order that were GG winners, Nick, Hardy, Nate, AJ, MattW. That is rare.

At 2nd base Andino was real high on the errors list so I think we have imporved in that area for 2013. I think we will be at least solid there.

1b is the only question mark. I do think CD will be a pleasant suprise. If he isnt I am sure Buck/DD will make a move sometime during the season to get a solid 1b that can play D.

I feel the Os will be right in the race in 2013. For me it all starts with our D.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by Matt P » December 23rd, 2012, 2:38 am

Tought to say. I think they should be above average but there are some huge question marks. Roberts and Davis are going to be the two biggest. If Machado stays at 3B and Hardy stays at SS the left side of the infield will be as good as it gets. Roberts was never a great defensive 2B but he was good at turning the double play. His range was already declining and now that he is older it isn't going to get any better. Davis didn't look good last year in his appearances at 1B but he came to Baltimore with a good reputation so who knows how he will be.

As for the OF Markakis is as good as it gets in RF. Jones is IMO below average in CF. He takes bad routes, makes horrible decisions, and his arm isn't that accurate. He does have a powerful arm and good speed which makes up for some of his mistakes but not all of them. McLouth is a good defensive LF but he has a weak arm. Whoever is platooning with him (if someone does platoon with him) is below average defensively. Reimold takes horrible routes and bobbles ground balls all the time but he does have a plus arm. Pearce is a 1B so maybe with work in LF he can become average, not sure.

Overall, it should be at least league average with some question marks that can make it one of the top defensive squads in the league.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 8:02 am

Matt P wrote:Jones is IMO below average in CF. He takes bad routes, makes horrible decisions, and his arm isn't that accurate.

Below average, c'mon man. That's being a little hard on a guy who has won 2 gold gloves. You could have said "average" which IMO would still be wrong.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » December 23rd, 2012, 8:22 am

The only guy on the list I see as below average is Nolan Reimold. He will throw to the wrong base, has terrible reads and jumps to go along with poor angles.

The pitching's improvement came primarily through the replacement of our 3, 4 and 5 starters by early July.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 8:30 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Below average, c'mon man. That's being a little hard on a guy who has won 2 gold gloves. You could have said "average" which IMO would still be wrong.

I would rate Jones slightly above average, but I agree with all of Matt's criticisms.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Matt P » December 23rd, 2012, 1:10 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

Gold Glove is a popularity vote not a legitimate top defensive award.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

Matt P wrote:Gold Glove is a popularity vote not a legitimate top defensive award.

Then what is a "legitimate" top defensive award? By the way here's who votes on these awards and please note that a manager CANNOT vote for their own player

The Rawlings Gold Glove Award, usually referred to as the Gold Glove, is the award given annually to the Major League Baseball players judged to have exhibited superior individual fielding performances at each fielding position in both the National League (NL) and the American League (AL), as voted by the managers and coaches in each league.[1] Managers are not permitted to vote for their own players.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Matt P » December 23rd, 2012, 4:49 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Then what is a "legitimate" top defensive award? By the way here's who votes on these awards and please note that a manager CANNOT vote for their own player

The Rawlings Gold Glove Award, usually referred to as the Gold Glove, is the award given annually to the Major League Baseball players judged to have exhibited superior individual fielding performances at each fielding position in both the National League (NL) and the American League (AL), as voted by the managers and coaches in each league.[1] Managers are not permitted to vote for their own players.

I don't know. The Fielding Bible is usually good. Can you honestly say that Adam Jones is better defensive CF than Mike Trout?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

Matt P wrote:
I don't know. The Fielding Bible is usually good. Can you honestly say that Adam Jones is better defensive CF than Mike Trout?

No I can't say that nor have I said that, but you said he was below average and that's not even close. I'll just go by what the managers and coaches have seen and trust their judgment.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles