Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 19th, 2012, 11:34 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/11/19/to ... t-bywater/

Matt Bywater was the Orioles’ 7th round selection in the 2010 MLB draft. He signed very close to the deadline for $195,000 and made his pro debut in 2011. He most likely would have started his career with Delmarva, but a case of the yips held him in extended spring training and the GCL and prevented him from doing so.

Bywater pitched 68.1 innings across three levels in 2012. He made five spot starts for Frederick but made the rest of his appearances out of the bullpen.


2013 Top 50 List
44. Matt Bywater
45. Ryan Berry
46. Tyler Kelly
47. Zach Clark
48. Mychal Givens
49. Ashur Tolliver
50. Brady Wager
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 6:33 pm

Bywater will be playing at age 24 in the 2013 season so he will need to stand out at Bowie. Left handers that can get other LHers out always seem to find jobs in baseball. but I feel certain that he wants to make it to the ML as a starter so he'll need to make a strong impression this year.

At this point both Norfolk and Bowie's rotations look like they'll be loaded so Matt should really have a strong ST if he wants to do AA as a SP.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » December 21st, 2012, 9:30 pm

ofahn wrote:Bywater will be playing at age 24 in the 2013 season so he will need to stand out at Bowie. Left handers that can get other LHers out always seem to find jobs in baseball. but I feel certain that he wants to make it to the ML as a starter so he'll need to make a strong impression this year.

At this point both Norfolk and Bowie's rotations look like they'll be loaded so Matt should really have a strong ST if he wants to do AA as a SP.

The minor league rotations are loaded next year...tons of jams and there is going to be a lot...a lot...of starters in bullpens. Nice problem to have though :)
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 10:02 pm

BuckMagic wrote:The minor league rotations are loaded next year...tons of jams and there is going to be a lot...a lot...of starters in bullpens. Nice problem to have though :)


It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't find a legitimate SP prospect in our farm system even if you were Stephanie Plum or Dog the Bounty Hunter.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » January 5th, 2013, 11:46 pm

I like Matt out of the pen for the future. Not overpowering to say the least, but he is the minor league version of "crafty veteran."

Think he makes a great long inning guy.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 5th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I like Matt out of the pen for the future. Not overpowering to say the least, but he is the minor league version of "crafty veteran."

Think he makes a great long inning guy.


In my farm system depth chart I have him starting in the Delmarva bullpen, but I think he can climb two levels next year as a reliever.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » January 5th, 2013, 11:54 pm

I think with the cuts that will come between now and the season Frederick is more likely. Can't see a 3rd season on Delmarva for him.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 6th, 2013, 12:02 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think with the cuts that will come between now and the season Frederick is more likely. Can't see a 3rd season on Delmarva for him.


The nice thing about our farm system at this point is that we don't have much deadwood, and the few suspect pitchers above him they recently released. I could see him starting the Season at Frederick, but I think that would come more from trades or injury than additional cuts.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #44: Matt Bywater

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 6th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I like Matt out of the pen for the future. Not overpowering to say the least, but he is the minor league version of "crafty veteran."

Think he makes a great long inning guy.

Agreed, Tim.

Glad to see you back here!
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57





Return to Minor Leagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron