Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

6 Reasons The Orioles Should Not Sign Adam LaRoche

Re: 6 Reasons The Orioles Should Not Sign Adam LaRoche

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 8:35 pm

ofahn wrote:I don't see 2013 as a championship year but I don't want regress, either. If the pitching continues to develop then we're a 90 win team. A little luck and we could be back in the post season. Why not add ONE reasonably priced piece that would give us a chance to keep the fans excited in September?

Is anyone really that excited by Adam LaRoche? As I noted above I really do not believe LaRoche would add more than 1 win to this team.

ofahn wrote:I agree with your evaluation that LaRoche's production will decline in the second year. So, let's suppose it drops to what we might have gotten from Reynolds THIS year if we would have picked up his option. Less than two million more for BETTER defense and the same production. When you consider that we don't have anyone in our system that would give us the same level of play, I see the value in the signing.

LaRoche is a solid player. I am not here to deny he would be an upgrade, but there is no value when you consider the money.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by ofahn » December 20th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:LaRoche is a solid player. I am not here to deny he would be an upgrade, but there is no value when you consider the money.

Oh, I agree that's it's a LOT of money for a modest upgrade; but unless you luck into a Mike Trout (2012), or a Cal Ripken (1982, 83), or a Fred Lynn and Jim Rice (1975), or Evan Longoria (2008), etc adding wins beyond 90 IS usually expensive. This team has spent their money wisely building the 2013 roster, so there's some left to add a few pieces. I keep looking at what Reynold's option would have been for next year and then at what LaRoche will cost. In baseball terms it's just nickles and dimes.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Old Sneakers » December 21st, 2012, 6:09 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:...our window should not be closed over the next two years...

I cannot be the only one that was shocked at how well the team did in 2012. So many close games. So many changes to the starting rotation. The bullpen was nothing short of astounding. Sadly I do not see us surpassing 90 wins without great strides in the team's young starting pitching.

Honestly I would expect we look back on this team 5 years from now and think that the 2010 through 2014 as the true foundation on which the roster was built. We cannot look at the 2007 draft as our future. It's a huge part of the present. I would say my real point is that building a franchise is done all year around (nearly) and never ends.

We may not have a top 5 pick this year. Though we have a good opportunity to improve this team.

As for a true window to compete for the division. I honestly think that is at least three years from now in 2015. Then it's only if we come a long way in player development and do even better in the draft.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » December 21st, 2012, 7:22 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:
The average value of the 24th draft pick is about $6 million. So, it's worth something for a team that needs to continue to build its farm system.

That's what he did, but it's not what he is likely to do next season.

How can you say he is a middle of the order bat?

What do you want to do?? Take the long term view and spend your $6 million on a marginal prospect who may or may not pan out in 2-3 years or take that $6 million dollar value (your estimation) and spend it on a definite area of need at a time when you club is in position to contend??? Another fact to consider: this could be Showwater's last year in the dugout and you have an aggressive GM who wants to win now....I would have to think Laroche could easily surpass the disappointing numbers that Reynolds put up last season. His 33 HRs and 100 RBI would have also led the club, although I don't have Adam's numbers in front of me...Happy Holidays!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by dan72 » December 21st, 2012, 10:01 pm

Our lineup as it is today, would be behind Toronto and NY in the east. Adding Laroche improves our lineup and our defense. I'd be fine with 2/$25 million. I think we are over valuing the 24th pick. With the new competitive draft rules we pick again in the mid 30s so the same players will most likely still be in play. DD, do the deal.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » December 22nd, 2012, 2:04 pm

dan72 wrote:Our lineup as it is today, would be behind Toronto and NY in the east. Adding Laroche improves our lineup and our defense. I'd be fine with 2/$25 million. I think we are over valuing the 24th pick. With the new competitive draft rules we pick again in the mid 30s so the same players will most likely still be in play. DD, do the deal.

Kuddos for your forward thinking!!!! :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles