Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Scout ranks O's young pitchers: Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz

Re: Scout ranks O's young pitchers: Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz

PostPost #16 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 19th, 2012, 10:48 pm

ofahn wrote:I can see where this might sound harsh to Arrieta, but IMO he has "head issues" that have impacted his performance.

Matt P wrote:Yeah, he just has no confidence at all and once he gets into a jam he usually unravels.

I still recall watching a game @LAA where the O's put 4 or 5 runs on the board to take a 5-2 lead in the 3rd inning and he just started to unravel with consecutive walks and a single to start the inning. Rather than sending Adair out there Buck practically sprinted out of the dugout and it looked like he gave Arrieta an earful. Definitely didn't look like the typical mound visit, Buck looked like he was as fed up as the rest of us fans were which is rare to see from him.

For me this year is put up or shut up with Arrieta. I still think he has a good chance of overcoming his issues but I want to see legitimate ML progress this year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 19th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Re: Arrieta.

What I was pleased to see is that he visited a sports psychologist. In the 4 appearances after that, he posted 31 strikeouts in 25 innings.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 20th, 2012, 12:59 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Re: Arrieta.

What I was pleased to see is that he visited a sports psychologist. In the 4 appearances after that, he posted 31 strikeouts in 25 innings.

Glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #19 by Matt P » December 20th, 2012, 1:03 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:

I still recall watching a game @LAA where the O's put 4 or 5 runs on the board to take a 5-2 lead in the 3rd inning and he just started to unravel with consecutive walks and a single to start the inning. Rather than sending Adair out there Buck practically sprinted out of the dugout and it looked like he gave Arrieta an earful. Definitely didn't look like the typical mound visit, Buck looked like he was as fed up as the rest of us fans were which is rare to see from him.

For me this year is put up or shut up with Arrieta. I still think he has a good chance of overcoming his issues but I want to see legitimate ML progress this year.

Yup, and that wasn't the last time he completely unraveled on the mound. It just seemed like every time he got into a jam he would press way to hard and have no control at all.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by Matt P » December 20th, 2012, 1:04 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Re: Arrieta.

In AAA ...
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 1:07 am

Matt P wrote:
In AAA ...

The 4 starts after seeing the psychologist: 24.2 innings, 31 strikeouts & 5 runs given up.
Previous 6 starts: 31 innings, 23 strikeouts & 20 runs.

It doesn't really matter that he was in Triple-A. What matters is he dramatically improved.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Matt P » December 20th, 2012, 1:16 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:The 4 starts after seeing the psychologist: 24.2 innings, 31 strikeouts & 5 runs given up.
Previous 6 starts: 31 innings, 23 strikeouts & 20 runs.

It doesn't really matter that he was in Triple-A. What matters is he dramatically improved.

Remember last year when he looked good against 3 bad NL lineups and you thought he turned the corner? Two starts later he was back in AAA. I've seen time and time again that he has turned it around, figured it out, etc. based on a small sample size and every time it ends up being false. Not going to buy into him anytime soon. He's going to be 27 next season, he's not a young pitcher anymore.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 1:17 am

Matt P wrote:
Remember last year when he looked good against 3 bad NL lineups and you thought he turned the corner? Two starts later he was back in AAA. I've seen time and time again that he has turned it around, figured it out, etc. based on a small sample size and every time it ends up being false. Not going to buy into him anytime soon. He's going to be 27 next season, he's not a young pitcher anymore.

I'm not suggesting it is evidence, but just a positive sign.

We'll see what happens next year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » December 20th, 2012, 8:48 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm not suggesting it is evidence, but just a positive sign.

Yo paraphrase a Chinese adage - every journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. I have doubts that Arrieta will ever pitch to his potential, but at least he's moving in the right direction.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #25 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 20th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm not suggesting it is evidence, but just a positive sign.

We'll see what happens next year.

I can see both sides of that argument. The good news to me is that he's addressing his biggest issues, the mental side of the game. I would like it if he continues to see the sports psychologist over the off-season and makes it part of his routine next year. We'll find out if it makes a positive impact or not. Make or break.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by LA Detective » December 20th, 2012, 8:09 pm

I remember in the early 90s when Smoltz talked about seeing a sports psychologist and how it completely turned his career around. At the time Smotlz was a guy struggling who had great stuff. Im not saying JA has Smotlz stuff but he does have good stuff. I have heard this has worked for several athletes over the years.

I do remember JA's last 2 starts in AAA and they were just dominating...Like 5 or 6 innings and double digit Ks and only a few hits.

He had a great spring and wowed alot of scouts. He got out of wack and never recovered. I wouldnt give up on him just yet. Although, I do see him as the most likely to be traded if we trade one of the calvary.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #27 by A_K » December 20th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Numbers were always clear that Arrieta's poor results were relatively unsustainable given his "true outcome" statistics. With or without the help of a sport psychologist he should be expected to make major improvements going forward. He's good, always has been.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #28 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 8:36 pm

A_K wrote:Numbers were always clear that Arrieta's poor results were relatively unsustainable given his "true outcome" statistics. With or without the help of a sport psychologist he should be expected to make major improvements going forward. He's good, always has been.

Yup.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Matt P » December 21st, 2012, 5:39 am

A_K wrote:Numbers were always clear that Arrieta's poor results were relatively unsustainable given his "true outcome" statistics. With or without the help of a sport psychologist he should be expected to make major improvements going forward. He's good, always has been.

I guess that's why he was able to sustain them.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » December 21st, 2012, 7:25 am

All this love for Arrieta is indeed baffling :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles