Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Cubs sign Edwin Jackson

Cubs sign Edwin Jackson

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 3:27 pm

https://twitter.com/CSNMooney/status/281856432062742529

#Cubs have signed Edwin Jackson (four years, $52 million) and Carlos Villanueva, pending physicals.

That's some solid value and their rotation actually looks pretty good.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Cubs sign Edwin Jackson

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 20th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:https://twitter.com/CSNMooney/status/281856432062742529

That's some solid value and their rotation actually looks pretty good.

I'm sorry, but I see committing 52M to Edwin Jackson as LUNACY. I thought the Cubs were nuts to offer Sanchez 75M, but that looks like rocket science compared to this move.

I;ll think I'll start a pool on what date the majority of baseball starts describing that as a bad contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 8:30 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm sorry, but I see committing 52M to Edwin Jackson as LUNACY. I thought the Cubs were nuts to offer Sanchez 75M, but that looks like rocket science compared to this move.

I;ll think I'll start a pool on what date the majority of baseball starts describing that as a bad contract.

I think $52 million for four years is good value.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 20th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think $52 million for four years is good value.

I'll bet you a hot dog at a spring training game in 2015 that you'll see that contract differently at that point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 9:00 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'll bet you a hot dog at a spring training game in 2015 that you'll see that contract differently at that point.

Why? He's durable--he's pitched 6 seasons with no injury--and has been worth about $60 million over the past 4 years. It should work out well for both sides.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 20th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Why? He's durable--he's pitched 6 seasons with no injury--and has been worth about $60 million over the past 4 years. It should work out well for both sides.

It's not his ARM I'm worried about.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 20th, 2012, 9:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
It's not his ARM I'm worried about.

I referenced his durability to point out that there is a very strong chance the Cubs will get what they paid for.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » December 21st, 2012, 5:44 am

Good for them and he is worth that type of contract. I thought the O's should have signed him last season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 12:31 pm

FWIW Power Alley on Sirius XM Radio this morning spent a looonnnggg time trashing this deal. They compared it to Gil Meche and Oliver Perez. Even I see that as harsh. but I did think of the Meche deal when I heard of the signing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 21st, 2012, 9:24 pm

Read this and let me know what you think: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... n-jackson/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by BuckMagic » December 21st, 2012, 9:41 pm

Matt P wrote:Good for them and he is worth that type of contract. I thought the O's should have signed him last season.

He would have been great on a one year deal last year..
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 10:31 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Read this and let me know what you think: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... n-jackson/

Well, Cameron makes a good argument that Jackson is a musician in the orchestra and not the conductor or even a lead. Frankly, that's my opinion of Jackson too. I see him as maybe a #3 or 4 SP, but he is definitely NOT the SP I would want on the mound in a must win game. I just see him as one of those pitchers that doesn't handle that kind of pressure well. I feel the same way about Greinke.

Hammel was a pleasant shock to all of us last year and I would trust him with a big game before Jackson even though Hammel made half of what Jackson did. Chen made a third of what Jackson did and I definitely would have trusted him over Jackson. The point I'm making is that you can find "an above average innings sponge" for a lot less than 13M a year with a four year commitment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 6:16 pm

Theo Epstein & Jed Hoyer have done good jobs this off-season. The signings of Schierholtz & Stewart give Vitters & Jackson one more year to develop in the minors. Plus, they were both once regarded as top prospects and have never been given 500 at-bats. As for Soriano, they'll just have to eat that contract for two more years. They'll likely not be able to move him. He isn't worth much. That being said, the Cubs run for two middle rotation starters have surprised me. They already had six arms under contract and I wouldn't really expect them to sign big name free agents. But the Jackson signing doesn't hamper them and he should give them 200 innings for the next four years during their new rebuilding process. Are Garza and Baker supposed to be ready by opening day?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2012, 6:25 pm

osforlife wrote:As for Soriano, they'll just have to eat that contract for two more years

I could be proven wrong, but I still expect him in end up in Tampa with the Cubs eating all but 5 to 10M of his contract depending on what they get back.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 6:55 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could be proven wrong, but I still expect him in end up in Tampa with the Cubs eating all but 5 to 10M of his contract depending on what they get back.

The Rays could be a fit but I think the Rays will:
1. re-sign Luke Scott to be their everyday DH
2. hand Brandon Guyer their everyday CF job, at least until Myers come up
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Next

Return to Around the Majors