Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

One scout's early take on the 2013 Orioles and the AL East

Re: One scout's early take on the 2013 Orioles and the AL East

PostPost #16 by LA Detective » December 17th, 2012, 5:45 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:and most people agree they played over their heads last year,” the scout said.

Who are all the people who had a great year? With exception of the bullpen more people underperformed or didnt perform for the whole year. Who on offense had a good year besides AJ and CDavis. CD could take a step back but considering his age he most likely will be better. Who else had a great year??? Certainly not Markakis, Reimold,Weiters, Machado, Hardy, 2b, Reynolds, McClouth...These listed either has a subpar year or didnt perform more than a half a season.

Who had a great year as starters except for Chen? Gonzo was only a partial year and so was Tilman? IF they do slip we have very good depth so someone will step up. I also see the Calvary as ready as they have ever been for various reasons.

I totally disagree what he said about Hammel. I think Hammel looks like a guy turning into a veteran where it all clicks. I see him as a AS game candidate and a top 10 Cy Young vote getter.

Yes, JJ and Strop might not have as good as stats as last year but these two have great stuff..great stuff...they werent just lucky. And with Hunter and others and a true long man we have depth and it should be a fresher pen without carrying Gregg like we did.

We filled so many huge holes that we the 1st half of the year with last year (LF,3b, leadoff, starting pitching, defense) that we get a better team from day one. We have great D..We have Ptiching Depth...And I think there is logical reason to believe more people will step up in 2013 than step back.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #17 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 17th, 2012, 6:31 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
You can't assume he will be healthy next year though..

Why not? He played in 157 games in 2009, 152 in 2010. and 133 in 2011 so it's not like he's injury prone. I guess you can't assume Jose Reyes or Jose Bautista will be healthy for the Jays, Sabathia or A Rod or Jeter will be healthy for the Yankees then either.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #18 by dan72 » December 17th, 2012, 6:44 pm

I think the teams to fear is Toronto and the Rays. I would say the O's finish 3rd and Boston and NY battle for the basement. The Redsox have major issues with pitching.
The only thing I agree with is that some of our players most likely did have career years in 2012 and will drop off. However having said that what if Chris Davis continues to blossom and hits 40+ HRS and has an OBP in the .400 range. I am looking for several players to have an improved 2013 season. Markakis, Hardy Roberts and Britton should all improve.

I do agree that we need a bat in the middle of the lineup, but I doubt that we will spend middle of the line up money to bring someone in. I'd even be OK with a Delmon Young coming into the fold.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #19 by Matt P » December 17th, 2012, 10:33 pm

You can look at every team in the division and make a case for them finishing last and a case for them finishing first.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by thezeroes » December 17th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Matt P wrote:You can look at every team in the division and make a case for them finishing last and a case for them finishing first.

Points. That can be said for all the MLB teams.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #21 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 12:33 pm

dan72 wrote:I'd even be OK with a Delmon Young coming into the fold

Is he the right personality for this team? I also question where he would play. His glove is NOT above average so we're looking at degrading the defense in LF or using the DH spot. IMO he's NOT a good fit.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #22 by Matt P » December 19th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Young doesn't really have much value. He can hit but he doesn't get on base. To say his glove is not above average in LF is one of the nicest things you can say about his glove as he's a disaster defensively. Add onto that the fact he seems like a douche I don't think he'd really fit into the hard working culture that Buck has built in the clubhouse. No thanks on Delmon Young. I'd much rather a Betemit/Valencia, Pearce, Reimold, or whoever platoon at DH than him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by osforlife » December 19th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Delmon Young is no more than a platoon DH against LHP. He's a younger and less patient Jonny Gomes. We don't have an IDEAL fit for a DH against LHP as Valencia & Jackson hits lefties well but they don't really fit onto our roster, Reimold hasn't historically hit lefties well, and Pearce will likely be platooning with McLouth. Maybe someone like Jeff Baker is added to the fold but Buck can make it work between the three.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #24 by Matt P » December 20th, 2012, 12:59 am

osforlife wrote:Delmon Young is no more than a platoon DH against LHP. He's a younger and less patient Jonny Gomes. We don't have an IDEAL fit for a DH against LHP as Valencia & Jackson hits lefties well but they don't really fit onto our roster, Reimold hasn't historically hit lefties well, and Pearce will likely be platooning with McLouth. Maybe someone like Jeff Baker is added to the fold but Buck can make it work between the three.

Wait, where have you ever heard/read that Pearce will likely be platooning with McLouth?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by ofahn » December 20th, 2012, 8:51 am

Matt P wrote:
Wait, where have you ever heard/read that Pearce will likely be platooning with McLouth?

I understand it's not a lock, but I see that as a real possibility; too.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #26 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm

LA Detective wrote:
Who are all the people who had a great year? With exception of the bullpen more people underperformed or didnt perform for the whole year. Who on offense had a good year besides AJ and CDavis. CD could take a step back but considering his age he most likely will be better. Who else had a great year??? Certainly not Markakis, Reimold,Weiters, Machado, Hardy, 2b, Reynolds, McClouth...These listed either has a subpar year or didnt perform more than a half a season.

Who had a great year as starters except for Chen? Gonzo was only a partial year and so was Tilman? IF they do slip we have very good depth so someone will step up. I also see the Calvary as ready as they have ever been for various reasons.

I totally disagree what he said about Hammel. I think Hammel looks like a guy turning into a veteran where it all clicks. I see him as a AS game candidate and a top 10 Cy Young vote getter.

Yes, JJ and Strop might not have as good as stats as last year but these two have great stuff..great stuff...they werent just lucky. And with Hunter and others and a true long man we have depth and it should be a fresher pen without carrying Gregg like we did.

We filled so many huge holes that we the 1st half of the year with last year (LF,3b, leadoff, starting pitching, defense) that we get a better team from day one. We have great D..We have Ptiching Depth...And I think there is logical reason to believe more people will step up in 2013 than step back.

A little late but I really liked this post and agree with almost everything you said. I think it gets lost just how much the team improved as the year went on. They may have played above their heads in the first half of the season but in the second half there was legitimate improvement (including the stretch at the end without Nick Markakis).

Plenty of reasons for optimism for the O's, they just still don't have the sexy names on the team. FWIW Jon Morosi went on in his article that was referenced in another thread to predict the O's finishing second in the division.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #27 by BuckMagic » December 20th, 2012, 1:49 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
A little late but I really liked this post and agree with almost everything you said. I think it gets lost just how much the team improved as the year went on. They may have played above their heads in the first half of the season but in the second half there was legitimate improvement (including the stretch at the end without Nick Markakis).

Plenty of reasons for optimism for the O's, they just still don't have the sexy names on the team. FWIW Jon Morosi went on in his article that was referenced in another thread to predict the O's finishing second in the division.

Yup...that was a great post. Rep to you Old Sneakers!! :D

Most of the O's have a ton of room to improve....
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #28 by osforlife » December 20th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Matt P wrote:

My speclation. I don't think McLouth will play against LHP. DD thinks the same too, at least I think so from the sentrence he said about it. IMO, someone will platoon with McLouth and it is likely Pearce or Reimold. Reimold is less of an injury risk at DH than in left field.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles