Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Kendry Morales anyone?

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #31 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 19th, 2012, 1:47 pm

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 4611171328

Morales still #Angels player most likely to go. Desired return: Innings-eating SP. Morales won't get qualifying offer as FA at end of '13.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 1:52 pm

ofahn wrote:
No, you wouldn't.


Evidently the Angels are seeking an "innings eater". I think this kind of throws your opinion out the window. It would have to be one of the four I mentioned and I would not do that for a one year rental. As you know Boras NEVER signs extensions during a "walk" year.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 692
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #33 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Evidently the Angels are seeking an "innings eater". I think this kind of throws your opinion out the window. It would have to be one of the four I mentioned and I would not do that for a one year rental. As you know Boras NEVER signs extensions during a "walk" year.


First, I don't WANT to sign Morales to an extension. Particularly, one that Boras sees as "fair".

Second, the Angels have a better chance of finding (buying) an "innings eater" SP at a fair price on the market this winter. Have you seen what Middle relievers are signing for? With a lean farm system LA SHOULD be looking for legit bullpen pieces. Two serious prospects would make a difference for them.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #34 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 2:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
First, I don't WANT to sign Morales to an extension. Particularly, one that Boras sees as "fair".



Second, the Angels have a better chance of finding (buying) an "innings eater" SP at a fair price on the market this winter. Have you seen what Middle relievers are signing for? With a lean farm system LA SHOULD be looking for legit bullpen pieces. Two serious prospects would make a difference for them.


Let me see if I understand, correct me if I'm wrong. Do you want Morales for just one season?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 692
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #35 by A_K » December 19th, 2012, 2:30 pm

If they want an innings eater, why wouldn't they just sign Joe Saunders and hang on to Morales?
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #36 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Seafordeagles wrote: Do you want Morales for just one season?


Yes. If he has a big year I would make him a qualifying offer. He accepts, we get a solid player at market rate on a one year contract. He declines, we get a draft pick. Win-win.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #37 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 2:43 pm

A_K wrote:If they want an innings eater, why wouldn't they just sign Joe Saunders and hang on to Morales?


As Saunders (and others) are beginning to learn this winter the market is LOADED with SPs just like him. In other winters Saunders pitched well enough down the stretch that he would be picking between two year offers, yet he hasn't signed this winter.

LA has lots of choices there and will probably come up with a decent pitcher at a fair price. What really surprises me is what some of the better (but not best) relievers are getting.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #38 by docjj » December 19th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Like any prospective deal, it depends on who we'd have to give up. I think a one-year rental of Morales could be a very good deal. He's a switch hitter with pop. Yes, he can't run anymore. Yes, he can't field well. But stick him in at cleanup as DH and call it a day.

Markakis/McLouth
Hardy
Jones
Morales
Wieters
Davis
Machado
Reimold/Mclouth
2nd baseman (Roberts, Flaherty, Casilla, etc...)
docjj
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 182
Joined: January 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #39 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 3:24 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yes. If he has a big year I would make him a qualifying offer. He accepts, we get a solid player at market rate on a one year contract. He declines, we get a draft pick. Win-win.


Please don't take offense but I think that is really absurd when you can sweeten the pot a little more and have Trumbo for 4 years at least.

I'm not in this for one year and any draft pick after the first few picks is a crap shoot. I don't have the facts or do I know where to find out but I would venture to say that 3/4 of 1st round draft picks never make a impact at the major league level.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 692
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #40 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 3:26 pm

docjj wrote:Like any prospective deal, it depends on who we'd have to give up. I think a one-year rental of Morales could be a very good deal. He's a switch hitter with pop. Yes, he can't run anymore. Yes, he can't field well. But stick him in at cleanup as DH and call it a day.

Markakis/McLouth
Hardy
Jones
Morales
Wieters
Davis
Machado
Reimold/Mclouth
2nd baseman (Roberts, Flaherty, Casilla, etc...)



There's a reason that the Angels want Trumbo over Morales. Trumbo is so much better. I certainly don't think a one year deal is the answer.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 692
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #41 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 19th, 2012, 5:10 pm

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/stat ... 7321149440

Source: #Angels have traded Kendrys Morales to the #Mariners for SP Jason Vargas.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #42 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/281520807321149440



Man the Mariners gave up a lot for a one year rental.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 692
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #43 by A_K » December 19th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Vargas last year: 4.69 FIP, 0.8 WAR, 217 innings.
Saunders last year: 4.08 FIP, 2.5 WAR, 174 innings.

I'm nowhere close to the world's biggest Saunders fan, and in reality I don't care whether or not the Orioles re-sign him. But what sense does it make to trade a good young hitter like Morales for a pitcher like Vargas, when you could just sign Saunders for a reasonable price and hang on to Morales for another year? I don't get it.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #44 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 7:48 pm

A_K wrote:Vargas last year: 4.69 FIP, 0.8 WAR, 217 innings.
Saunders last year: 4.08 FIP, 2.5 WAR, 174 innings.

I'm nowhere close to the world's biggest Saunders fan, and in reality I don't care whether or not the Orioles re-sign him. But what sense does it make to trade a good young hitter like Morales for a pitcher like Vargas, when you could just sign Saunders for a reasonable price and hang on to Morales for another year? I don't get it.


Maybe just maybe they didn't want Saunders.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 692
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #45 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Maybe just maybe they didn't want Saunders.
A_K wrote:Vargas last year: 4.69 FIP, 0.8 WAR, 217 innings.
Saunders last year: 4.08 FIP, 2.5 WAR, 174 innings.

I'm nowhere close to the world's biggest Saunders fan, and in reality I don't care whether or not the Orioles re-sign him. But what sense does it make to trade a good young hitter like Morales for a pitcher like Vargas, when you could just sign Saunders for a reasonable price and hang on to Morales for another year? I don't get it.


I posted this previously in the string about Morales.

I could see them trading him if:

1) they believe they can't find a market for Wells
2) they believe they need to add some ML ready (or almost ready) bull pen pieces
3) Boras advises him to become a squeaky wheel so he can get out of LA and be assured of playing time in his contract year

I can easily see any of those things happening.


I'm wondering how much of this went into LA's thinking.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests