Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Kendry Morales anyone?

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » December 16th, 2012, 11:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
UM, yes; or I wouldn't have typed it.

At the time he signed he was one of the second generation, big money Cuban free agents. His agent is now Scott Boras. Boras counsels players in Morales' position about the importance of their contract year so he can get them big money on the market. Regardless of whom he plays for I would expect Morales to have a big year in 2013.


There are many articles available that discuss this myth and the majority of them all come to the conclusion that is not real.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #17 by osforlife » December 17th, 2012, 6:27 am

ofahn wrote:
That may be, but if I was DiPoto I would put Bourjos in the OF and Trumbo at DH.

I doubt it.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #18 by BuckMagic » December 17th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Matt P wrote:There are many articles available that discuss this myth and the majority of them all come to the conclusion that is not real.


The myth that players perform better in contract years...?
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #19 by Matt P » December 17th, 2012, 10:32 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
The myth that players perform better in contract years...?

Yes. Google "Contract year myth" and there are a few articles from various outlets on the matter.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #20 by ofahn » December 18th, 2012, 8:08 am

Matt P wrote:Yes. Google "Contract year myth" and there are a few articles from various outlets on the matter.


I read some of those articles and they're entitled to their opinions,,,as we all are. I have just seen too many players spike their performance in the last year of their contract to dismiss the possibility. I would REALLY be interested in seeing the performance variations for Boras' clients. He seems to prep them better than any other agent.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #21 by Seafordeagles » December 18th, 2012, 8:55 am

I think Morales is a very good hitter but is very, very slow, and a hitter only. If you trade for Morales it will only be for one year. I would avoid any player who will soon be a free agent that is represented by Boras.

Just think in a couple more years we will most likely lose Wieters to free agency and that's another story all together. This is what players who Boras represent do.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 695
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #22 by ofahn » December 18th, 2012, 11:45 am

Seafordeagles wrote:If you trade for Morales it will only be for one year.


I see that as the UPSIDE of the trade, not the downside. He shouldn't cost us much (and I wouldn't pay much), we're only obligated for one year, and if he has a big season we can make a qualified offer and get him back on a one year contract or receive a draft pick. It's ALMOST a no lose situation.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #23 by Seafordeagles » December 18th, 2012, 12:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
I see that as the UPSIDE of the trade, not the downside. He shouldn't cost us much (and I wouldn't pay much), we're only obligated for one year, and if he has a big season we can make a qualified offer and get him back on a one year contract or receive a draft pick. It's ALMOST a no lose situation.


Of course you will have to give up one of the following for a one year rental:

Matusz
Tillman
Arrieta
Britton

Of course any of those 4 may never be more than below average to average, but you never know.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 695
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #24 by ofahn » December 18th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Of course you will have to give up one of the following for a one year rental:

Matusz
Tillman
Arrieta
Britton


No, you wouldn't.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #25 by Seafordeagles » December 18th, 2012, 1:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
No, you wouldn't.


Me thinks that you won't have a deal then. The Angels don't have to trade Morales they can use Trumbo in right field and Morales as the DH. There trade bait would be Wells and Bourjos and we don't need them..
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 695
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #26 by ofahn » December 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Me thinks that you won't have a deal then. The Angels don't have to trade Morales they can use Trumbo in right field and Morales as the DH. There trade bait would be Wells and Bourjos and we don't need them..


Fair enough. I was very clear that I wouldn't overpay for him. The Angels need bullpen pieces and would probably look at Strop, Matusz, Patton, and Hunter. I would offer two of Clayton Schrader, Michael Belfiore, or Oliver Drake and nothing more.

Frankly, IMO the perfect trade would be Ayala for Morales, but I think WE over value him.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #27 by Matt P » December 18th, 2012, 9:34 pm

ofahn wrote:
I read some of those articles and they're entitled to their opinions,,,as we all are. I have just seen too many players spike their performance in the last year of their contract to dismiss the possibility. I would REALLY be interested in seeing the performance variations for Boras' clients. He seems to prep them better than any other agent.


Like who? And, like most articles state, for every one player that did have his best year in his "contract year" there are a dozen or so that didn't.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #28 by Matt P » December 18th, 2012, 9:37 pm

I'd love to get Peter Bourjos but considering how much Buck and Duquette gush about Adam Jones any chance they get I highly doubt they would move him to LF and Bourjos would be wasted if he had to play LF.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #29 by Matt P » December 18th, 2012, 9:37 pm

ofahn wrote:
Fair enough. I was very clear that I wouldn't overpay for him. The Angels need bullpen pieces and would probably look at Strop, Matusz, Patton, and Hunter. I would offer two of Clayton Schrader, Michael Belfiore, or Oliver Drake and nothing more.

Frankly, IMO the perfect trade would be Ayala for Morales, but I think WE over value him.

Why would they want relief prospects though considering they are in win now mode?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #30 by ofahn » December 18th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Matt P wrote:Why would they want relief prospects though considering they are in win now mode?


It should be an attractive proposition for them. They have a thin farm system and they need to have a back up plan for their bullpen. It may come down to whether they think they need relievers to START the season or relievers that will be ML ready by mid season. IMO the best package for both teams would be Ayala and a prospect, but I'm not sure DD will let him go.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron