Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Blue Jays Acquire R.A. Dickey & Agree To Extension

Blue Jays Acquire R.A. Dickey & Agree To Extension

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 17th, 2012, 4:24 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/b ... nsion.html

Assuming Dickey's physical goes as expected, he'll join the Blue Jays along with Josh Thole and a prospect. In return, the Mets would obtain Travis d'Arnaud, Noah Syndergaard, John Buck and a prospect.

Dickey is good, but even some GMs and officials are in shock that the Blue Jays dealt d'Arnaud AND Syndergaard. The Blue Jays could be scary next year, but let's not crown them AL East champs yet.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Blue Jays Acquire R.A. Dickey & Agree To Extension

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 17th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/blue-jays-dickey-agree-to-extension.html

Dickey is good, but even some GMs and officials are in shock that the Blue Jays dealt d'Arnaud AND Syndergaard. The Blue Jays could be scary next year, but let's not crown them AL East champs yet.

I also question committing 24M to player for his playing years age 39 and 40. In a couple of years they are going to have a whole lot of Vernon Wells contracts again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by dan72 » December 17th, 2012, 7:08 pm

The Mets will take a lot of heat from their fan base for dealing Dickey but IMO it was the right move to make. The Mets were not going to win with him so why not rebuild and get younger? Now they have young talent that they can control for 4 or 5 years. Great move by the Mets and a great move by the Blue jays who seem to be going all in. I prdeict the Rays or Jays to be 1 and 2 in the east.
I think the Orioles could get over market value by trading Jim Johnson. If I could get a power hitting corner infield prospect and another pitching prospect I'd pull the trigger........
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Matt P » December 17th, 2012, 10:39 pm

I don't hate the extension but I wouldn't have been thrilled to give up prospects like that.

Let's hope sometime in the next few years we will be in a position that our farm is so deep we can be aggressive like the Blue Jays.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 9:04 am

Be prepared to face Dickey at least 4 or 5 times next year. I remember when we faced him with the Mets last year.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 10:15 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Be prepared to face Dickey at least 4 or 5 times next year. I remember when we faced him with the Mets last year.

...yes, and he was in a groove at that time. Knuckle ballers usually have hot and cold streaks as their feel of the pitch waxes and wanes. Until last year that was the story of Dickey's career.

IMO he makes a good #3 SP but is not a #1 because he has not shown a long history of consistent dominance. The Jays are going to pay him 30M over the next three years. As long as he remains healthy and pitches to his career numbers that's a fair contract for a #3 SP, although I think they gave up too much talent to get him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Matt P » December 19th, 2012, 12:29 pm

ofahn wrote:
...yes, and he was in a groove at that time. Knuckle ballers usually have hot and cold streaks as their feel of the pitch waxes and wanes. Until last year that was the story of Dickey's career.

IMO he makes a good #3 SP but is not a #1 because he has not shown a long history of consistent dominance. The Jays are going to pay him 30M over the next three years. As long as he remains healthy and pitches to his career numbers that's a fair contract for a #3 SP, although I think they gave up too much talent to get him.

Just because last season was his best season does not mean that he just suddenly figured it out last season. He has been great ever since he got with the Mets. Obviously he wasn't a Cy Young candidate each year but he was at the very least a #2 starter in his first two seasons with the Mets.
2010 - 2.84 ERA
2011 - 3.28 ERA
2012 - 2.73 ERA
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 7:45 pm

ofahn wrote:

He's the reigning Cy Young winner and you rate him as a #3. As far as consistent dominance he just really mastered the knuckleball the last 3 years. He made a whole lot of other teams look bad not just the Orioles, and he's only been throwing it since 2005. Knucklballers usually pitch well into their 40's and stay healthy. Take a look at his innings the last 3 years.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:He's the reigning Cy Young winner and you rate him as a #3

If he pitches that well next year I would certainly revise my opinion. I think Toronto got a very good #3 SP and are paying him accordingly.

If he pitches like a #2 then they'll have got a bargain.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Around the Majors