Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who bats leadoff for the Orioles next season?

Who bats leadoff for the Orioles next season?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 16th, 2012, 6:29 pm

If Roberts is healthy, is he your leadoff hitter?

Do you go with McLouth or plug Markakis back atop the order after his success last year?

If Roberts is healthy and really looks good in spring training he'd be my choice. Otherwise, I think I would begin the season with McLouth batting #1. If he begins to struggle I'd slide Markakis back to the top of the order.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Who bats leadoff for the Orioles next season?

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » December 16th, 2012, 6:46 pm

If Roberts is healthy and looks to be in form he's the choice obviously. However, he could understandably have some rust. After him it's Nate McLouth. To me Nick Markakis belongs in the two hole. I'd love to see Xavier Avery and L.J. Hoes get enough plate appearances so that they become viable options for the role if need arises. However I do not see them getting much playing time without injury. Avery has lots of work to do at the plate. Hoes remains somewhat intriguing.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by thezeroes » December 16th, 2012, 8:46 pm

If Brian Roberts is healthy and in pre-concussion form he would be my lead off hitter with Mclouth batting second.

If Roberts seems to need some time to readjust to MLB baseball, I would drop him to second in the order and have McLouth lead off.

After further thought you could make the case of trying to keep the left/right symmetry in your batting order so you would have to change it up depending on the starter.

With the ability of Markakis, Reimold, Roberts and McLouth all capable of being lead off hitters it is finally nice to start a season with such a dilemma.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 16th, 2012, 8:54 pm

thezeroes wrote:With the ability of Markakis, Reimold, Roberts and McLouth all capable of being lead off hitters it is finally nice to start a season with such a dilemma.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 16th, 2012, 9:44 pm

thezeroes wrote:If Brian Roberts is healthy and in pre-concussion form he would be my lead off hitter with Mclouth batting second. If Roberts seems to need some time to readjust to MLB baseball, I would drop him to second in the order and have McLouth lead off.

After further thought you could make the case of trying to keep the left/right symmetry in your batting order so you would have to change it up depending on the starter.

With the ability of Markakis, Reimold, Roberts and McLouth all capable of being lead off hitters it is finally nice to start a season with such a dilemma.

Why would you have McLouth over Markakis in the #2 spot? Do you want Markakis #3 or #4?

I forgot about Reimold; nice catch (rep point given). If healthy I would have him leadoff over McLouth and Markakis. He's an excellent base runner.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by osforlife » December 16th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Roberts, Markakis, Betemit/Whoever vs. LHP, Jones, Wieters, Davis, Machado, Hardy, McLouth/Pearce
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 16th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Markakis is my number one choice because of how well he performed in the role last year. He seemed very comfortable there for whatever reason.

The notion that Roberts has anything above a TINY shot at being in "healthy pre concussion form" is misguided IMO. He hasn't performed at even a mediocre level since 2010 and he will be 35 for the 2013 season. Players that rely on speed like Roberts usually don't age too well and there's also the fact that his power will very likely be gone due to his predominant inactivity over the past 2+ years due to his series of totally incapacitating injuries.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » December 16th, 2012, 11:31 pm

I would prefer to have the speed of both McLouth and Roberts in front of Markakis, Jones and Wieters. Davis, Hardy, Betemit, and Machado would follow against RH Starters.

Against the Lefties, Roberts,Reimold,Markakis, Wieters, Jones, Davis, Hardy, Robinson, Machado.

With either lineup you would have three switch hitters in them.

All this would hinge on future acquired players. At some point I would hope to have the switch hitting Urrutia in the lineup if he can ever get his visa thing figured out. I believe his supposed line drive hitting ability would lend him to the sixth/seventh spot in the lineup.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... rutia.html
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 16th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Roberts hasn't played a full season since 2009 and he's now 35 years old. I'm sorry but it is just ridiculous to expect him to be "back to form". Even if he was healthy the last 3 seasons he would still more than likely be declining by now. Add to that the fact he hasn't played I will be shocked if he will even be a league average 2B next season.

I would go with Reimold as he is a great base runner, has a great eye, and can get on base. Markakis would be my second choice but he is not a good base runner and that is the main reason I would go with Reimold over him.

I don't believe in McLouth repeating last seasons performance so I would start off with him lower in the order and let him work his way near the top.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » December 17th, 2012, 1:29 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Markakis is my number one choice because of how well he performed in the role last year. He seemed very comfortable there for whatever reason.

The notion that Roberts has anything above a TINY shot at being in "healthy pre concussion form" is misguided IMO. He hasn't performed at even a mediocre level since 2010 and he will be 35 for the 2013 season. Players that rely on speed like Roberts usually don't age too well and there's also the fact that his power will very likely be gone due to his predominant inactivity over the past 2+ years due to his series of totally incapacitating injuries.

Ditto on Nick. Very good post BTW 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by BuckMagic » December 17th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Matt P wrote:Roberts hasn't played a full season since 2009 and he's now 35 years old. I'm sorry but it is just ridiculous to expect him to be "back to form". Even if he was healthy the last 3 seasons he would still more than likely be declining by now. Add to that the fact he hasn't played I will be shocked if he will even be a league average 2B next season.

I would go with Reimold as he is a great base runner, has a great eye, and can get on base. Markakis would be my second choice but he is not a good base runner and that is the main reason I would go with Reimold over him.

I don't believe in McLouth repeating last seasons performance so I would start off with him lower in the order and let him work his way near the top.

Reimold is the best choice...good eye, as you said, takes pitches and works the count. Sometimes it is nice to have that extra bit of power at the top of the lineup too! :D

More I think...more I want Reimold up there over anyone.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by LA Detective » December 17th, 2012, 6:37 pm

This debate will probably be decided late in ST and might change a couple times thru the year...

I think it will mostly come down to how well BR and Reimold prove they are 100% and how well they play.

Im a huge BR fan and for a few years he was one of the best at leadoff in the league but I think there is a slim chance he returns to a .290+/350 oba, 50 dbs, 30+ SBs guy for 135 games. I think a .260/320 oba 450 slugging pct for 100 games would be more realistic and just having him around would be a lift. .. And i cant see him being that guy stealing bases and causing havoc..I dont think he will steal 15...I see him as a #2 at best at this point or lower in the lineup....I hope I am wrong.

What if Reimold crushes the ball in ST? If he picks up where he left off I say he is the full time DH with spot OF duty...He has no options so if he hasnt won a job, he platoons with McClouth.

If Reimold wins a spot this makes it more likely Nick will bat 1 or 2 becasue he is the only other one besides Nick that should bat 3.

My best case reasonable sceniro is:
1.Markakis- potential .380 OBA and puts himself in scoring positon.
2.McClouth- Potential .350 OBA with speed and can handle the bat
3.Reimold- Potetial 875+ OPS

How great it is to have options though...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #13 by dan72 » December 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I'd go with Markakis. He will give you a .290-.300 avg and a .400+ OBP. I know he doesn't have great speed but I think table setting is more important than the ocassional stollen base....
Mclouth would be my second choice. I doubt that Roberts gets 100 AB's in 2013. Same with Riemold.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Matt P » December 17th, 2012, 10:35 pm

dan72 wrote:I'd go with Markakis. He will give you a .290-.300 avg and a .400+ OBP. I know he doesn't have great speed but I think table setting is more important than the ocassional stollen base....
Mclouth would be my second choice. I doubt that Roberts gets 100 AB's in 2013. Same with Riemold.

He's had an OBP over .400 once in his career.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles