Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Kendry Morales anyone?

Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #1 by docjj » December 15th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Switch hitter with power. Would anyone consider a trade for him?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Kendry Morales anyone?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 15th, 2012, 11:20 pm

I'd consider it. He's not the big bat the O's need, but I see him more as a solid hitter.

He'd be a nice addition, but he's not worth more than one of our #10-12 prospects IMO.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 15th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'd consider it. He's not the big bat the O's need, but I see him more as a solid hitter.

He'd be a nice addition, but he's not worth more than one of our #10-12 prospects IMO.

I was just starting to compose a reply saying the same thing. Morales was still recovering from a serious leg injury last year, but it doesn't explain why his OBA went down. I think his real upside is that he will be playing in his "contract" year so he should be very motivated to put up good numbers. I like the switch hitter component, too.

IMO something like two of Clayton Schrader, Michael Belfiore, or Oliver Drake would be a fair price. All of those guys are about a year away from the ML and the Angels need bullpen arms. We have a surplus there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 15th, 2012, 11:42 pm

ofahn wrote:
I was just starting to compose a reply saying the same thing. Morales was still recovering from a serious leg injury last year, but it doesn't explain why his OBA went down. I think his real upside is that he will be playing in his "contract" year so he should be very motivated to put up good numbers. I like the switch hitter component, too.

IMO something like two of Clayton Schrader, Michael Belfiore, or Oliver Drake would be a fair price. All of those guys are about a year away from the ML and the Angels need bullpen arms. We have a surplus there.

That is definitely a reasonable package.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Matt P » December 16th, 2012, 2:05 am

ofahn wrote:I think his real upside is that he will be playing in his "contract" year so he should be very motivated to put up good numbers.

Really? You really believe that?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » December 16th, 2012, 9:08 am

Injury prone and inconsistent. I'm happy with Davis. Pass 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 16th, 2012, 9:59 am

Matt P wrote:

UM, yes; or I wouldn't have typed it.

At the time he signed he was one of the second generation, big money Cuban free agents. His agent is now Scott Boras. Boras counsels players in Morales' position about the importance of their contract year so he can get them big money on the market. Regardless of whom he plays for I would expect Morales to have a big year in 2013.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » December 16th, 2012, 12:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
UM, yes; or I wouldn't have typed it.

At the time he signed he was one of the second generation, big money Cuban free agents. His agent is now Scott Boras. Boras counsels players in Morales' position about the importance of their contract year so he can get them big money on the market. Regardless of whom he plays for I would expect Morales to have a big year in 2013.

Not with Hamilton under contract. Morales will likely be batting sixth or seventh in that lineup .. not a spot to put up the big numbers Boras craves 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 16th, 2012, 1:41 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not with Hamilton under contract. Morales will likely be batting sixth or seventh in that lineup .. not a spot to put up the big numbers Boras craves

Let me get this straight. You believe that a Kendry Morales that's finally healthy, in good condition, and highly motivated to succeed would NOT have a big year hitting behind all of that talent in the Angels' lineup with all of those runners on base. WOW!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » December 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I don't see the Angels trading him. The only player I see them trading is one of Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos. Iannetta, Pujols, Kendrick, Callaspo, Aybar, Hamilton, Trout, Trumbo, Morales.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by ofahn » December 16th, 2012, 3:14 pm

osforlife wrote:I don't see the Angels trading him. The only player I see them trading is one of Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos. Iannetta, Pujols, Kendrick, Callaspo, Aybar, Hamilton, Trout, Trumbo, Morales.

I could see them trading him if:

1) they believe they can't find a market for Wells
2) they believe they need to add some ML ready (or almost ready) bull pen pieces
3) Boras advises him to become a squeaky wheel so he can get out of LA and be assured of playing time in his contract year

I can easily see any of those things happening.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » December 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could see them trading him if:

1) they believe they can't find a market for Wells
2) they believe they need to add some ML ready (or almost ready) bull pen pieces
3) Boras advises him to become a squeaky wheel so he can get out of LA and be assured of playing time in his contract year

I can easily see any of those things happening.

1.) If they can't find a market for Wells, they'll trade Bourjos.
2.) They'll likely ask for bullpen pieces from Bourjos/Wells.
3.) I seriously doubt Mike Scioscia will play Vernon Wells over Kendry Morales. Morales is likely to DH almost everyday in LA just like last year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm

osforlife wrote:1.) If they can't find a market for Wells, they'll trade Bourjos.

Maybe, but Bourjos is a young, controllable premium defender on a team that has a lean farm system. A prudent GM would think very carefully about letting him go, especially if you can get what you need for your bullpen with another player.

osforlife wrote:2.) They'll likely ask for bullpen pieces from Bourjos/Wells.

See answer, above.

osforlife wrote:3.) I seriously doubt Mike Scioscia will play Vernon Wells over Kendry Morales. Morales is likely to DH almost everyday in LA just like last year.

Neither Wells or Morales are part of the Angels' future. They would have to eat 90% of Wells' contract to get a decent bullpen piece back for him, but he would be a better utility option than Morales. If Kendry is holding down pine in his contract year he's going to b*t*h about it in the clubhouse and in public. LA can get a solid bullpen (or two) piece back for him, and they probably will.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » December 16th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Bourjos is reportedly on the trade market. Hamilton, Trout, and Trumbo are all in their outfield until at least 2017. Bourjos isn't in their future either at this point. So, they get their bullpen pieces from Bourjos. They don't need to trade Morales. Morales is gonna DH everyday.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 16th, 2012, 10:05 pm

osforlife wrote:Morales is gonna DH everyday.

That may be, but if I was DiPoto I would put Bourjos in the OF and Trumbo at DH.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles