Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Kevin Youkilis Is Now A Free Agent

Re: Kevin Youkilis Is Now A Free Agent

PostPost #16 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 11:01 am

Matt P wrote:Even if he doesn't I would still love to have him for the next 2 or 3 years.

I would be more comfortable with just ONE year to see if he'll make the adjustments.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

steve wrote:As a Met. ;)

Yeah :roll:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by LA Detective » December 6th, 2012, 6:03 pm

He is still out there. IF we think he is healthy I think it is something we should highly consider. I think he would revert back to his numbers of 2 years ago before he was moved back to 3rd. I would want him for 1b/DH but he also gives us depth for 3b. I think it gives us one less swing and miss type of guy. If he shows anything close to 2 years ago, think of the OBA for the top 3 in the lineup..Markakis,McClouth??, Youk ...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #19 by Matt P » December 11th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Looks like he is signing a 1 year deal worth 12 million with the Yankees. That's more than I would have given him for two years.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 8:22 am

Matt P wrote:Looks like he is signing a 1 year deal worth 12 million with the Yankees. That's more than I would have given him for two years.

I saw him as similar to Torii Hunter. His value to a team was more than what he performed on the field making him worth an extra couple of million, but 12M; NO WAY.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Matt P » December 12th, 2012, 9:57 am

Well, that's part of the luxury of being the New York Yankees; the ability to overpay on 1 year contracts.

However, I don't get what you mean with the value of him though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 12th, 2012, 11:41 am

Matt P wrote:Well, that's part of the luxury of being the New York Yankees; the ability to overpay on 1 year contracts.

I believe he means he filled more of a need for the Yankees than any other team, so giving him extra money wasn't a big deal. Especially with A-Rod out.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #23 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Matt P wrote:Well, that's part of the luxury of being the New York Yankees; the ability to overpay on 1 year contracts.

Both Hunter and Youk are strong forces in the clubhouse. They have a tendency to push their teammates to play harder, usually by example.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I believe he means he filled more of a need for the Yankees than any other team, so giving him extra money wasn't a big deal. Especially with A-Rod out.

There's that, too.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Matt P » December 12th, 2012, 10:56 pm

ofahn wrote:
Both Hunter and Youk are strong forces in the clubhouse. They have a tendency to push their teammates to play harder, usually by example.

Didn't Youk get traded out of Boston because of club house problems?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Matt P wrote:
Didn't Youk get traded out of Boston because of club house problems?

It was really more that Youk stood up to Valentine and the FO decided to move him because they wanted to go with their rookie at 3B. Many of the Sux said they were NOT happy that he was gone.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Matt P » December 12th, 2012, 11:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
It was really more that Youk stood up to Valentine and the FO decided to move him because they wanted to go with their rookie at 3B. Many of the Sux said they were NOT happy that he was gone.

I thought I read that many believed he was the one who leaked the beer and chicken stories to the media and it caused tension in the clubhouse before they all changed their tune and blamed Gonzalez for it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Matt P wrote:
I thought I read that many believed he was the one who leaked the beer and chicken stories to the media and it caused tension in the clubhouse before they all changed their tune and blamed Gonzalez for it.

We'll probably never know. If he did do that it might have been call out behavior he thought was bad for the team. That group was so effed up I don't think Frank Robinson could have brought them together.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles