Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How I see the roster as of now...

How I see the roster as of now...

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 11th, 2012, 6:50 pm

It's still the off-season and lots can change, but here's how I see the 25-man roster if the season were to start tomorrow.

C: Matt Wieters
1B: Chris Davis
2B: Alexi Casilla
SS: JJ Hardy
3B: Manny Machado
LF: Nate McLouth
CF: Adam Jones
RF: Nick Markakis
DH: Wilson Betemit

OF: Steve Pearce
C: Taylor Teagarden
INF: Ryan Flaherty
OF: Nolan Reimold

SP: Jason Hammel
SP: Chris Tillman
SP: Wei-Yin Chen
SP: Miguel Gonzalez
SP: Zach Britton

RP: Jim Johnson
RP: Pedro Strop
RP: Troy Patton
RP: Tommy Hunter
RP: Luis Ayala
RP: Darren O'Day
RP: Brian Matusz

To answer some obvious questions:
- It's unclear what will happen with Roberts. If healthy he is likely starting at 2B.
- I think the top 4 spots in the rotation are pretty much set. I believe two of Arrieta, Britton, and Matusz will end up on the major league roster. On in the rotation, one in the minors, and one in the bullpen. They are all pretty much interchangeable but I think there is no way Matusz isn't at least in the bullpen. Arrieta would benefit most from more time in the minors.
- I would like to see Betemit and Pearce platoon at DH and Reimold and McLouth platoon in LF.

Thoughts? What do you agree/disagree with? Hopefully I did not overlook anything.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: How I see the roster as of now...

PostPost #2 by LA Detective » December 11th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Jordan- do you think Reimold will be ready opening day? I have heard nothing about him doing anything physically. Im concerned ecspecially with his type of injuyr. I certainly hope so...If he proves 100% by the end of ST and has a very good ST I might make him the full time DH and spot OF duty. He could be the middle of the order bat we are looking for. At that time Betermit might have to be traded. If Reimold didnt have a good spring then a platoon with McClouth.

- I think Matusz wins the 5th starter spot

- I think the 7th man in the pen could be a wild card/ST invitee that has a great spring..This would allow Arrieta, Britton and SJohnson to build their innings up so that they would be available for SP depth. By June that could change and all three might be up.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 11th, 2012, 11:38 pm

I agree with your assessment Jordan. I do think Britton would also benefit from some more time in AAA. I would expect a Saunders type pitcher (if not Saunders himself) to hold down the 5th spot in the rotation out of spring training so Britton and Arrieta can spend more time in AAA. IMO they should both dominate at AAA and have to force their promotion despite their age and ML experience. Look how it worked out for Tillman and both of their upsides are at least as high as his.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 11th, 2012, 11:50 pm

LA Detective wrote:Jordan- do you think Reimold will be ready opening day? I have heard nothing about him doing anything physically. Im concerned ecspecially with his type of injuyr. I certainly hope so...If he proves 100% by the end of ST and has a very good ST I might make him the full time DH and spot OF duty. He could be the middle of the order bat we are looking for. At that time Betermit might have to be traded. If Reimold didnt have a good spring then a platoon with McClouth.

From what I have read it seems as if he will be healthy. I guess you never know with him though.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 8:08 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I would like to see Betemit and Pearce platoon at DH and Reimold and McLouth platoon in LF

Is this because you see Reimold as a better defender than Pearce?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 8:09 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I do think Britton would also benefit from some more time in AAA. I would expect a Saunders type pitcher (if not Saunders himself) to hold down the 5th spot in the rotation out of spring training so Britton and Arrieta can spend more time in AAA. IMO they should both dominate at AAA and have to force their promotion despite their age and ML experience. Look how it worked out for Tillman and both of their upsides are at least as high as his.

This is how I would prefer to see things work out, too.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 12th, 2012, 11:38 am

ofahn wrote:
Is this because you see Reimold as a better defender than Pearce?

I do see him as a better defender.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » December 12th, 2012, 3:41 pm

What I would do differently:
1. If Roberts is ready to play, Casilla is the utility man and Flaherty is in AAA playing everyday at multiple positions.
2. Reimold complements Betemit @ DH and Pearce complements McLouth in LF instead of the other way around.
3. Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta are all starting in the minors.
4. Saunders is signed to man the 5th spot in the order.
5. Steve Johnson is the leading candidate for the 7th bullpen arm, but there will be a competition.
6. Manny Machado is at SS and JJ Hardy is at 3B.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 4:03 pm

osforlife wrote:If Roberts is ready to play, Casilla is the utility man and Flaherty is in AAA playing everyday at multiple positions.

Agreed.

osforlife wrote:Reimold complements Betemit @ DH and Pearce complements McLouth in LF instead of the other way around.

Agreed.

osforlife wrote:Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta are all starting in the minors.

Agreed.

osforlife wrote:Saunders is signed to man the 5th spot in the order.

Agreed (or someone like him).

osforlife wrote:Steve Johnson is the leading candidate for the 7th bullpen arm, but there will be a competition.

Agreed.

osforlife wrote:Manny Machado is at SS and JJ Hardy is at 3B.

I don't think Hardy will agree to that and I can't see Buck pressing the issue.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » December 12th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Hardy is gonna be at SS and Machado is gonna be at 3rd but I'd like it to be the other way around.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » December 12th, 2012, 6:07 pm

osforlife wrote:Hardy is gonna be at SS and Machado is gonna be at 3rd but I'd like it to be the other way around.

At this point in their careers Hardy is so much better then Machado at short. There's a reason he won the gold glove....
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #12 by Matt P » December 12th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
At this point in their careers Hardy is so much better then Machado at short. There's a reason he won the gold glove....

I agree Hardy is better at SS but the reason he won the Gold Glove is because Brendan Ryan hit under .200 for a last place team and for some reason voters look at other things not just defense to decide who wins the Gold Glove. Gold Gloves, IMO, are a bad way to judge a players defense. It's typically a popularity contest.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Matt P wrote:I agree Hardy is better at SS but the reason he won the Gold Glove is because Brendan Ryan hit under .200 for a last place team and for some reason voters look at other things not just defense to decide who wins the Gold Glove. Gold Gloves, IMO, are a bad way to judge a players defense. It's typically a popularity contest.

Reputation also has a lot to do with the voting.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Matt P » December 12th, 2012, 11:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
Reputation also has a lot to do with the voting.

Which is another ridiculous flaw to the voting.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Matt P wrote:
Which is another ridiculous flaw to the voting.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles