Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Rays trade Shields and Davis to Royals for Wil Myers and more

Rays trade Shields and Davis to Royals for Wil Myers and more

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 9th, 2012, 10:48 pm

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 7985809408

Source: #Rays will send James Shields and Wade Davis to #Royals for Wil Myers and other prospects.

Wow. Shields was good but Myers should be a stud who kills the Orioles for the next 6 years.

I feel bad for Royals fans.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Rays trade Shields and Davis to Royals for Wil Myers and more

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 9th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/277982667985809408

Wow. Shields was good but Myers should be a stud who kills the Orioles for the next 6 years.

I feel bad for Royals fans.

I think this is one of those trades that will be good for both teams. The Royals KNEW they were never going to get to the next level without a WHOLE lot better pitching and the Rays absolutely needed to add young offense.

The Royals got two very good pitchers and the Rays got a bat that may be better in a year or two than the one they lost in Upton. They can move Jennings to CF. Don't underestimate how valuable Davis will be for them. He might close.

Look for the Rays to add a big bat at DH (Soriano?) so that they can leave Myers at the bottom of the order until he finds himself.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 9th, 2012, 11:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
I think this is one of those trades that will be good for both teams. The Royals KNEW they were never going to get to the next level without a WHOLE lot better pitching and the Rays absolutely needed to add young offense.

The Royals got two very good pitchers and the Rays got a bat that may be better in a year or two than the one they lost in Upton. They can move Jennings to CF. Don't underestimate how valuable Davis will be for them. He might close.

Look for the Rays to add a big bat at DH (Soriano?) so that they can leave Myers at the bottom of the order until he finds himself.

That's a solid assessment. I still think Rays are clear winners though...

Now it's being reported that they also received Jake Odorizzi and Mike Montgomery.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status ... 8046137344

Huge #Rays trade is Shields AND Davis (and PTBNL) to #Royals for OF Myers, RHP Odorizzi, LHP Montgomery, 3B Leonard
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 9th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:That's a solid assessment. I still think Rays are clear winners though...

Now it's being reported that they also received Jake Odorizzi and Mike Montgomery.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status ... 8046137344

IMO Odorizzi is the second gem in that trade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by osforlife » December 10th, 2012, 4:17 pm

ROYALS TEAM RIGHT NOW: I think the Royals might have put themselves in a position to get second place in the AL CENTRAL; but that isn't saying a whole lot. Dayton Moore probably has an average or slightly above average team. To go along with a FANTASTIC group of young position players, he has acquired two #3 starting pitchers, at best, in Guthrie and Santana, a #2 starting pitcher, at best, in Shields, and either a average starting pitcher or solid bullpen arm depending on how Ned Yost wants to use Wade Davis. After this year, I think Moore might get fired after his team doesn't make the playoffs. His young core probably won't make a dynamic impact until a year or two.
ROYALS TRADE: I think the Royals gave up too much for one year of a below-average TOR pitcher and a pitcher without much of a future as a starter. They gave up two players that could help them RIGHT NOW. Wil Myers could have been their opening day right fielder. I guess they figured they are paying Jeff Francouer 6.75mil for another year and the right field 2-14 free agent class for RF is nice: Choo, Cruz, Hart, Pence.
RAYS TEAM RIGHT NOW: I had the Rays winning the division before the trade. Maybe this dwindles their chances slightly, but the future is even brighter for them. Unless the Redsox address their drastic pitching need, the AL EAST looks like it may come down to a 4 team hunt for first place. Of course, it would be extremely hard for four teams in the same divison to be in contention though, so we'll just have to find out.
RAYS TRADE: Andrew Friedman puts up a good argument for the best GM in baseball. Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi have very good chances of becoming dynamic players in the majors, the former better than the latter of course. When is the last time a pitching prospect for the Rays failed or didn't pan out? Hammel and Jackson are both respectable pitchers. Maybe the Rays can work their magic on Montgomery.? Leonard is a solid third base prospect that should provide trade depth for the Rays in the future. At the moment, the Rays seem to be the obvious winner. But, trades can never be determined right off the bat, we'll just have to wait and see if these prospects pan out. But, if all goes accordingly, the Rays bolstered their already very bright future, while the Royals gave up some of their top prospects for an average, maybe slightly above-average year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Matt P » December 11th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Man, the Royals are just stupid. Rays win this one in a landslide.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 8:26 am

Matt P wrote:Man, the Royals are just stupid. Rays win this one in a landslide.

Of course, if Myers turns into the next Josh Hamilton you'll be right, but I don't see him as the slam dunk that many others do. All those Ks tell me he has a big hole in his game and better make some serious adjustments if he doesn't want to get eaten alive my ML pitchers. Keep in mind that KC was shopping this guy all over the place. There was a reason for that and THEY know him best.

At this point I see that trade as about equal. Check back with me in a couple of seasons.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » December 12th, 2012, 11:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
Of course, if Myers turns into the next Josh Hamilton you'll be right, but I don't see him as the slam dunk that many others do. All those Ks tell me he has a big hole in his game and better make some serious adjustments if he doesn't want to get eaten alive my ML pitchers. Keep in mind that KC was shopping this guy all over the place. There was a reason for that and THEY know him best.

At this point I see that trade as about equal. Check back with me in a couple of seasons.

They were shopping him around because their GM for some reason loves Francoeur and they think that by adding a #2 starter they will compete and they didn't want to trade anyone on their current MLB roster. IMO, they traded one of the top prospects in baseball for a #2 pitcher. Even without including the rest of the trade that is overpay.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 11:20 pm

There's logic in you POV but, again, check back with me in a couple of seasons.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » December 13th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I am not even sure why Wil Myers was on the trading block. He could be their right fielder right now and they would add about...4 wins to their team? Jeff Francoeur was worth -2.7 wins last season per baseball-reference. I seriously doubt the Royals are going to compete anyway. Like ofahn has said, we should wait a couple years to make the final decision like we should on any trade, but as for right now, like I've said above, the Rays look like the obvious winner.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Around the Majors