Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles take T.J. McFarland in Rule 5 Draft

Orioles take T.J. McFarland in Rule 5 Draft

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 6th, 2012, 11:59 am

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_bal

The Orioles selected left-hander T.J. McFarland from the Indians' Triple-A Columbus affiliate in Thursday morning's Rule 5 Draft.

"We know he has a knack for winning games, and hopefully that knack will translate to the Major Leagues," executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said. "We had targeted a couple left-handed pitchers in the Draft. We wanted to get another left-handed pitcher into our system, and this was a cost-effective way to accomplish that."

McFarland was selected 23rd in the Rule 5 Draft and was the Tribe's fourth-round pick out of Amos Alonso Stagg High School in Palos Hills, Ill., in the fourth round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft. Listed at 6-foot-3 and 209 pounds, McFarland went 8-6 with a 4.82 ERA in 17 starts at Columbus, allowing 55 earned runs on 112 hits and 33 walks in 102 2/3 innings pitched.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles take T.J. McFarland in Rule 5 Draft

PostPost #2 by mikezpen » December 6th, 2012, 2:12 pm

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/b ... land-34196

not a bad pick. Good low-ball pitcher. Has never been below a 2.17 GO/AO. Throws low 90's. Needs to improve secondary pitches. This does clutter up bullpen a bit though.If he does decently and they have to carry him, I'd think he's long relief.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 6th, 2012, 2:41 pm

mikezpen wrote:If he does decently and they have to carry him, I'd think he's long relief

There were no expectations last year so carrying Flaherty was not an issue AND he carried his own weight. The team EXPECTS to compete next year so I can see them expecting ML production from every roster spot. I don't see Buck having anyone on the roster that he feels isn't a solid asset to the team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » December 6th, 2012, 5:09 pm

The 7th spot in the bullpen will be up for grabs. I am sure DD will get a few more outsiders to compete for that spot too. This allows the true starters that dont make the starting 5 to go to the minors and build innings at least for the first part of the year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 6th, 2012, 5:15 pm

LA Detective wrote:The 7th spot in the bullpen will be up for grabs.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I see Steve Johnson or Wada as the long guy; and Ayala, O'Day, Hunter, Patton, Strop, and Jim Johnson as the the best bets for the pen.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » December 6th, 2012, 5:26 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with that. I see Steve Johnson or Wada as the long guy; and Ayala, O'Day, Hunter, Patton, Strop, and Jim Johnson as the the best bets for the pen.

If I do remember correctly, DD has said Wada will most likely stay back in extended spring training but will ready for most of the year. Johnson, O'Day, Strop, Patton, Hunter, Ayala, Johnson. I said in one of my off-season guides that the O's should look for a little bit of lefty relief help- maybe not to make the team, but to provide depth and competition considering Patton will likely be the only lefty in the pen with Wada in EST, Phillips being DFA'd, and Matusz most likely being a starter in the minors. Mike Bielfore should be able to help this year though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » December 6th, 2012, 5:34 pm

ofahn wrote:

S.Johnson could very well be the 7th guy. I think it is a great fit for him but it would be an even greater fit when he has built up some innings so that he could make some spot starts if needed. I really dont want to give up on him as a SP. I think without a doubt you start out the year with the best 25 but if someone emerges allowing SJ to go to the minors for a bit I think would be the best scenerio.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » December 7th, 2012, 5:26 am

ofahn wrote:There were no expectations last year so carrying Flaherty was not an issue AND he carried his own weight. The team EXPECTS to compete next year so I can see them expecting ML production from every roster spot. I don't see Buck having anyone on the roster that he feels isn't a solid asset to the team.

I agree that they shouldn't carry a dead weight, and I don't think they will.It only costs them $25,000 to send him home if he isn't going to be a solid asset to the team after a look-see in ST.On the other hand, he could be a find.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 8th, 2012, 7:05 am

mikezpen wrote:
I agree that they shouldn't carry a dead weight, and I don't think they will.It only costs them $25,000 to send him home if he isn't going to be a solid asset to the team after a look-see in ST.On the other hand, he could be a find.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with this selection. I just believe that he'll HAVE to produce at a ML level to stay on the team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles