Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Twins have contacted the Orioles about Morneau

Twins have contacted the Orioles about Morneau

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 5th, 2012, 12:33 pm

The Minnesota Twins are devoting part of these Winter Meetings to gauging outside interest in first baseman Justin Morneau, and the Orioles are counted among the teams they've contacted, according to an industry source.

The Twins would want - wait for it - young pitching in return for Morneau, who will make $14 million in 2013, the final year of his contract.

Not interested at all.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Twins have contacted the Orioles about Morneau

PostPost #2 by docjj » December 5th, 2012, 2:57 pm

What are your reservations? I realize he's only signed through 2013, so you might be getting a one-year rental. That's my biggest reservation. Of course, he's had injury issues too. When healthy he hits and gets on base. He draws lots of walks . Frankly, you might actually get fairly similar production from Reynolds- for a lot cheaper and not having to part with young pitching in the process.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » December 5th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I'm in your corner Doc. I think this could be a great move. Maybe someone like Wright and $7 mil gets it done 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 5th, 2012, 6:17 pm

docjj wrote:What are your reservations? I realize he's only signed through 2013, so you might be getting a one-year rental. That's my biggest reservation. Of course, he's had injury issues too. When healthy he hits and gets on base. He draws lots of walks . Frankly, you might actually get fairly similar production from Reynolds- for a lot cheaper and not having to part with young pitching in the process.

Health concerns are the main issue. Plus, why would we give up a prospect to deal for him when Reynolds could provide similar production at a lesser cost?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Matt P » December 5th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I'd rather go with a platoon of Betemit and Reimold/Pearce/Valencia than pay him 14 million dollars.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles