Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox

PostPost #1 by Matt P » December 4th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Wow ... have they completely lost their minds?

2/10 for Gomes
3/39 for Napoli
3/38.5 for Victorino

Most O's fans seem disappointed that the O's haven't done anything yet. At least they aren't ridiculously overpaying for mediocre players.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Boston Red Sox

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Matt P wrote:Wow ... have they completely lost their minds?

2/10 for Gomes
3/39 for Napoli
3/38.5 for Victorino

Most O's fans seem disappointed that the O's haven't done anything yet. At least they aren't ridiculously overpaying for mediocre players.

Maybe they feel they need to put SOMETHING on the field, but you would think they could more for the money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 6:58 pm

2/10 for Gomes
3/39 for Napoli
3/38.5 for Victorino

At least they aren't ridiculously overpaying for mediocre players.

The issue is they need to start overspending just to keep up, and I'm not talking about average players like Boston just signed.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by Matt P » December 4th, 2012, 7:12 pm

ofahn wrote:
Maybe they feel they need to put SOMETHING on the field, but you would think they could more for the money.

3/38.5 for a platoon player / 4th OF ... it's crazy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Matt P wrote:3/38.5 for a platoon player / 4th OF ... it's crazy.

I was referring to the Orioles.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Matt P » December 4th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I was referring to the Orioles.
I am confused.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Matt P wrote:The issue is they need to start overspending just to keep up, and I'm not talking about average players like Boston just signed.

I was referring to the orioles from this post:

The issue is they need to start overspending just to keep up, and I'm not talking about average players like Boston just signed.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:The issue is they need to start overspending just to keep up,

I disagree. IMO they need to target value for the money and acquire THOSE players. They may not be sexy names, but if they win ball games they'll be sexy to me.

If we over spend anywhere it should be in our scouting, development and International signings. Fill the pipeline with young marketable prospects and we can trade for what we need at a price we can afford.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 5th, 2012, 2:04 am

ofahn wrote:
I disagree. IMO they need to target value for the money and acquire THOSE players. They may not be sexy names, but if they win ball games they'll be sexy to me.

If we over spend anywhere it should be in our scouting, development and International signings. Fill the pipeline with young marketable prospects and we can trade for what we need at a price we can afford.

I agree with this. The non-sexy names last year helped make the playoffs. I still think they need a legit MOO hitter but if the price isn't right they are going to either have to overpay Hamilton on a 4 or 5 year deal or try and find some non-sexy guys to fill the void.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » December 5th, 2012, 3:57 pm

2/10 for Gomes
3/39 for Napoli
3/38.5 for Victorino

Good point, Matt. They are essentially spending $32 million next year on three players who combined aren't likely to equal the production Adrian Gonzales would give them. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by osforlife » December 5th, 2012, 4:22 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Good point, Matt. They are essentially spending $32 million next year on three players who combined aren't likely to equal the production Adrian Gonzales would give them. 8-)

Alone Mike Napoli was more effective than Gonzalez. Mike Napoli virtually had the same OBP as Adrian Gonzalez last year. Not to mention Napoli had more homeruns and a better slugging than Gonzalez. Where did you get your information?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #12 by dan72 » December 9th, 2012, 10:09 pm

They still have not addressed their lack of pitching. So far they have collected old, mediocre, overpaid players, in an attempt to energize a frustrated fan base..... think they finish last in the east this year.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 9th, 2012, 10:32 pm

dan72 wrote:They still have not addressed their lack of pitching. So far they have collected old, mediocre, overpaid players, in an attempt to energize a frustrated fan base..... think they finish last in the east this year.

I don't think there's a difference maker for them out there anymore unless they're stupid enough to sign Hamilton for a ridiculous contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 11th, 2012, 11:27 pm

2/10 for Gomes
3/39 for Napoli
3/38.5 for Victorino

I think all three of those moves are solid pickups that will make the Red Sox a better team. BUT as you said all three are massive overpays. The thing is though Boston can afford to overpay like that. Must be nice...

I would definitely prefer the O's lack of major activity to the Red Sox foolish spending.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 12th, 2012, 8:17 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I would definitely prefer the O's lack of major activity to the Red Sox foolish spending.

Perhaps the most PROFOUND statement of the day. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles