Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Free agent salaries, rumor mill trash, etc.

Re: Free agent salaries, rumor mill trash, etc.

PostPost #16 by Matt P » December 5th, 2012, 2:05 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I agree with all of this. Twitter has turned the reporting of information into a game of who can report things first. It's more about time now rather than accuracy. It's a shame that Twitter is forcing things to be this way but it's still a useful tool. Things would not be this way if the reporters only reported from their most trusted sources.

I only follow Britt and Roch on Twitter for Baseball news for this exact reason. Neither of them are going to throw something against the wall and hope it sticks. They both only report what they hear or what is announced.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Old Sneakers » December 5th, 2012, 3:06 am

Brittany Ghiroli's article up at the Orioles official site...

Adding fourth outfielder remains priority for O's

So... does that mean that the big middle of the order bat talk is now to suddenly cease? Nothing against Brittany, but that is not what we've been reading for several weeks.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 5th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Matt P wrote:I only follow Britt and Roch on Twitter for Baseball news for this exact reason. Neither of them are going to throw something against the wall and hope it sticks. They both only report what they hear or what is announced.

Steve Melewski is pretty good too.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #19 by osforlife » December 5th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Haren is far from average. Out of his 8 full major league seasons (2005-2012) only once has he not exceeded 200 innings, only twice has he recieved an ERA above 4, and has never put up a WHIP above 1.3. Cut out his injury plagued 2012 and he has even better numbers. I wouldn't call him elite, but I certainly wouldn't call him average.
&
Pagan is a 5 tool player.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #20 by ofahn » December 5th, 2012, 3:53 pm

osforlife wrote:Pagan is a 5 tool player.

What do you base that on?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by osforlife » December 5th, 2012, 4:15 pm

ofahn wrote:
What do you base that on?

He can hit for average, he can hit for power, he can run, he can throw, and he can field effectively. He's an all-around contributor. He is not a power hitter, but he is not a singles hitter. Decent Slugging Percentage.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » December 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

osforlife wrote:he can hit for power

I don't see the power tool and I'm not impressed with his OBA. I would NOT Have made that investment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by osforlife » December 5th, 2012, 4:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
I don't see the power tool and I'm not impressed with his OBA. I would NOT Have made that investment.

Salary aside, he has a decent SLG%. Better than Matt Wieters, Justin Upton, Hanley Ramirez, A-Rod, Mark Reynolds, Hunter Pence, Ian Kinsler, etc.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Matt P » December 5th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Slugging percentage isn't everything. He uses his speed to generate doubles and triples. Speed is usually the first thing to go as players age. His slugging percentage is speed generated not power generated. He's not a 5 tool player.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by osforlife » December 6th, 2012, 9:42 am

Matt P wrote:Slugging percentage isn't everything. He uses his speed to generate doubles and triples. Speed is usually the first thing to go as players age. His slugging percentage is speed generated not power generated. He's not a 5 tool player.

What I'am saying is he racks up a decent amount of total bases. Will he hit more than 10 in a season? No, he'll probably be around that number. But he is not a singles hitter. He uses his speed to generate doubles and triples, like you said. He has gap to gap power, not homerun power. Maybe his power tool is a stretch, but there are arguments for and against it.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » December 6th, 2012, 10:26 am

osforlife wrote:What I'am saying is he racks up a decent amount of total bases. Will he hit more than 10 in a season? No, he'll probably be around that number. But he is not a singles hitter. He uses his speed to generate doubles and triples, like you said. He has gap to gap power, not homerun power. Maybe his power tool is a stretch, but there are arguments for and against it.

I agree with everything you say, BUT at his age IMO this was NOT a good investment. One year, absolutely. Two years, OK. Beyond that will be a bad contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Matt P » December 6th, 2012, 11:30 am

osforlife wrote:What I'am saying is he racks up a decent amount of total bases. Will he hit more than 10 in a season? No, he'll probably be around that number. But he is not a singles hitter. He uses his speed to generate doubles and triples, like you said. He has gap to gap power, not homerun power. Maybe his power tool is a stretch, but there are arguments for and against it.

What arguments are there that he is a 5 tool player? What arguments are there that he has power? You're the first person I have ever seen attempt to make an argument that he has power.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 6th, 2012, 11:58 am

ofahn wrote:I agree with everything you say, BUT at his age IMO this was NOT a good investment. One year, absolutely. Two years, OK. Beyond that will be a bad contract.

Am I the only one who likes the Pagan contract?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #29 by ofahn » December 6th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Am I the only one who likes the Pagan contract?

Are you beginning to wonder if you're the only one that sees the Emperor has no clothes?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by osforlife » December 6th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Matt P wrote:What arguments are there that he is a 5 tool player? What arguments are there that he has power? You're the first person I have ever seen attempt to make an argument that he has power.

Yes, he does use his speed to generate extra base hits and a decent slugging percentage. Would he have as much power without the speed? No, but for right now, he is using his speed to generate power.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles