Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's "priority remains trading for middle of the order bat"

O's "priority remains trading for middle of the order bat"

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2012, 11:23 pm

https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/statu ... 0838270976

Orioles feel good w 2b options and in adding some speed already. Priority remains trading for middle of the order bat.

This was just mentioned in another thread but its deserving of its own.

I definitely think we will see some of the pitching depth traded for a bat. Who would you be interested in?

The O's are interested in Billy Butler:

The Orioles have definite interest in the Royals' Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer. Let's see if those two players are really available, and if there's a potential match.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: O's "priority remains trading for middle of the order bat"

PostPost #2 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 11:25 pm

If they get Billy Butler I'll be ecstatic. That dude can rake.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 3rd, 2012, 12:16 am

Matt P wrote:If they get Billy Butler I'll be ecstatic. That dude can rake.

And he's only 27! Definitely defensively limited though, wouldn't want to see him anywhere in the field.

Wouldn't mind Hosmer either, he still has good upside IMO. He would have to be a whole lot cheaper than Butler though...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Matt P » December 3rd, 2012, 1:17 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
And he's only 27! Definitely defensively limited though, wouldn't want to see him anywhere in the field.

Wouldn't mind Hosmer either, he still has good upside IMO. He would have to be a whole lot cheaper than Butler though...

Wow, I didn't even realize he was only 27. It seems like he has been around forever. I still remember the line drive that ruined Bergesen's chances for ROY. I figured he was in the 29-31 range.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » December 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am

Butler is certainly tempting. He's got the power everyone craves and is also not the super streaky type. But if the team pulls the trigger on this. I do not want him being a DH. The team can find a solid DH or go with internal options. We do not need another Luke Scott type guy.

I would be OK with the team offering Brian Matusz or Jake Arrieta and one positional prospect other than Johnathan Schoop and Nick Delmonico. My guess is Arrieta is the one the team would prefer to move as he's older. The other thing to consider is Butler becomes a free agent in two years time. Much can happen in two years like a prospect coming along or none at all.

Hosmer is substantially younger, but a different animal completely. If KC wanted to acquire pitching talent from the Orioles I would not offer them near so much.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 7:48 am

Matt P wrote:If they get Billy Butler I'll be ecstatic. That dude can rake.

I agree that he would be the middle of the order big bat we haven't had in a long time but Buck has said that he wants to rotate position players through the DH spot and that's where Butler's glove belongs. We have enough pitching surplus to make this kind of trade, but then the cupboard is bare. I would like to see them also sign LaRoche. He would only cost money and then you would have a lineup of

Markakis RF
Hardy SS
Davis LF
Jones CF
LaRoche 1B
Butler DH
Wieters C
Machado 3B
2B

If Roberts can play at something close to his old level you put him in the lead off spot, Markakis second, and drop Hardy to eighth. Regardles, there are a LOT of runs in that lineup and the only defensive liability is MAYBE Davis in LF.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » December 3rd, 2012, 8:45 am

Assuming KC's demands were reasonable and the O's were ready to spring, would you rather they get Hosmer or Butler?
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Matt P » December 3rd, 2012, 10:28 am

ofahn wrote:
I agree that he would be the middle of the order big bat we haven't had in a long time but Buck has said that he wants to rotate position players through the DH spot and that's where Butler's glove belongs. We have enough pitching surplus to make this kind of trade, but then the cupboard is bare. I would like to see them also sign LaRoche. He would only cost money and then you would have a lineup of

Markakis RF
Hardy SS
Davis LF
Jones CF
LaRoche 1B
Butler DH
Wieters C
Machado 3B
2B

If Roberts can play at something close to his old level you put him in the lead off spot, Markakis second, and drop Hardy to eighth. Regardles, there are a LOT of runs in that lineup and the only defensive liability is MAYBE Davis in LF.

Buck has said that since he was hired. His first full year Vlad clogged the DH spot the entire season and last year he had no problem playing Davis everyday at DH before the injuries in the OF and they also brought in Thome knowing he was a DH only. I don't see not having a rotating DH being a problem as we didn't have a rotating DH for Buck's first two seasons on the job.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 11:00 am

Matt P wrote:he had no problem playing Davis everyday at DH before the injuries in the OF

Davis was a position player that could play in the field (and pitch a little). Butler should only be given a glove in a desperation situation.

I have no problem getting Butler to DH, but I would move Betemit. We can't afford two gloves like that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » December 3rd, 2012, 12:05 pm

Butler while nice, still fails to meet the #4 role the Orioles need, he simply lacks the slugging ability. His DH only glove creates another problem too. If they keep Davis and Betemit one or both will have to play 1B at least part time. They should be able to do an adequate job there. But the Orioles will need a right handed bat to balance the line-up, especially for Betemit.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

https://twitter.com/Royals_Report/statu ... 6549730304
#Orioles and #Mariners show strong interest in #Royals DH Billy Butler. Could see Seattle as a fit; hard to see a match with Baltimore.

Don, on twitter, says that the Royals want Bundy for Butler but the O's obviously are not interested.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #12 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 3rd, 2012, 4:14 pm

mikezpen wrote:Assuming KC's demands were reasonable and the O's were ready to spring, would you rather they get Hosmer or Butler?

I would go Hosmer because the price would be (or should be at least) significantly lower.

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:
Don, on twitter, says that the Royals want Bundy for Butler but the O's obviously are not interested.

HA.

Rising O's wrote:Butler while nice, still fails to meet the #4 role the Orioles need, he simply lacks the slugging ability. His DH only glove creates another problem too. If they keep Davis and Betemit one or both will have to play 1B at least part time. They should be able to do an adequate job there. But the Orioles will need a right handed bat to balance the line-up, especially for Betemit.

Agree that clogging up the DH spot and forcing Betemit into playing ANY position on the field would be bad but totally disagree that Butler lacks clean up slugging ability. His power has steadily increased over the past few years in a pitcher's ballpark in a weak lineup. Imagine him in Camden Yards!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 8:00 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:the Royals want Bundy for Butler

...and I want to date super models. I probably have a better shot of getting my wish than the Royals.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 4th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Dave Cameran thinks the O's are a great trade partner for Butler and thinks a potential deal should be centered around Tillman (which seems like a reasonable deal for both sides, the Royals asking for Bundy is ridiculous):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... s-prayers/

But it sounds like the Royals aren't all that interested in moving him: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/b ... esday.html

According to Danny Knobler:

"Not that Royals want to trade Myers, but definitely more willing to move him than Butler. "

I don't know about you all but I would greatly prefer Wil Myers over Butler.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I don't know about you all but I would greatly prefer Wil Myers over Butler.

KC should seriously consider Myers for Tillman and a quality young ML reliever or a lower level SP prospect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles