Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton

PostPost #1 by Matt P » December 3rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

I saw that the O's have inquired about him with the Marlins.

Is there anyway that the O's would be able to land him without giving up one of Machado or Bundy?

If they could get him for a package including Gausman (as a PTBNL), Schoop, and one or two of Matusz/Tillman/Britton/Arrieta I would say that is a deal the O's cannot pass up.

If it cost Bundy or Machado I would have to think about it. Not sure what I would do in that situation. I would rather not give up Machado but I would have to really think hard about trading Bundy for him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Giancarlo Stanton

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » December 4th, 2012, 12:47 am

He's a fine player no doubt about it. Though giving up 2 or your top 3 prospects and a SP is an awful lot to give up on 1 position player.

Somewhat tempting. I do not think I would call it "Too good to pass up" I say that remembering well the 2009 Starting Rotation. The team is just now beginning to get a solid rotation together. A couple years from now. If the team is able to acquire more pitching that other teams want and it has a true surplus then I might be more feasible to talk about moves like this.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by Matt P » December 4th, 2012, 1:12 am

I think he's much more than a fine player.

He's 23 years old and so far his career slash line is .270/.350/.553 and he has improved every year he has been in the big leagues. He hit 37 HR last season in 123 games. He's also not bad defensively so he isn't someone that is all bat. IMO, he's pretty close to becoming a super star.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by A_K » December 4th, 2012, 2:30 am

Can't possibly imagine a trade for Stanton that doesn't include one of Machado or Bundy. Deal would have to be something like Machado, Schoop, Britton and Matusz. After Harper and Trout, Stanton might be the most valuable commodity in baseball.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by osforlife » December 4th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Last time I checked, I don't think the Marlins are going to part with Stanton and I disagree with that strategy. If I were the Marlin's management, I'd trade him and watch the inundant talent in prospects come into their system. I bet he's a serious trade candidate next off-season after the Marlins got one more cheap season out of him. Anyway, Giancarlo Stanton is an elite player. Him and Jose Bautista are the best rightfielders in the game, hands down. Considering the fact that he is 23 years old, holds his own defensively, and has gotten better offensively every year makes him so valuable. If he is willing to transition to left field, he would be a legit trade option for us.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » December 4th, 2012, 4:01 pm

A_K wrote:Can't possibly imagine a trade for Stanton that doesn't include one of Machado or Bundy. Deal would have to be something like Machado, Schoop, Britton and Matusz. After Harper and Trout, Stanton might be the most valuable commodity in baseball.

Sub in Bundy for Machado and a lesser prospect for Matusz and I would love that deal 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 4th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Matt P wrote:I think he's much more than a fine player.

He's 23 years old and so far his career slash line is .270/.350/.553 and he has improved every year he has been in the big leagues. He hit 37 HR last season in 123 games. He's also not bad defensively so he isn't someone that is all bat. IMO, he's pretty close to becoming a super star.

I think he definitely already is.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles